• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is there a dish you love but will not make?

Jaymes

Is there a dish you love but will not make...because if you do you will eat it all?

A dear friend has just announced that, for health reasons, she will no longer be making the confections she loves. Others have suggested to her that she continue to make these wonderful treats, but eat only a few, and sell, or give as gifts, the majority. Alas, she says, she cannot do that. She's tried. And so, that's the end of that era.

It got me to thinking. And I realized that I, too, have a few dishes that I intentionally do not make because I love them so much, I cannot resist them. And I will eat and eat until the pan or bowl or big glass baking dish is empty.

For me, it's lasagna, meatloaf, pralines.

How about you? Anything you avoid making just because you can't avoid eating?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Yeasted coffee cakes filled with jam/preserves or cream cheese. Not only is the dough eggy and buttery and delicious, it all smells so fantastic when it is hot out of the oven. When I had neighbors with lots of children or grandchildren I didn't mind baking them since yeast breads are very therapeutic to make (to me) and very satisfying to either eat or give away. Likewise, steamed puddings are not long for the world if I am in the room armed with a knife and fork. Now I live out in the country and my nearest neighbors are elderly and on restrictive diets and my youngest son is very cautious about what he eats since he wrestles and has to make weight all the time.

I have compromised by making them at Christmas and making King Cake at Ash Wednesday.

For me it'd be potatoes au gratin by the baking dish-full. I'd eat it all.

My solution is to make individual servings in a silicon cup cake pan. Looks pretty, tastes the same, portion controlled.

For me it'd be potatoes au gratin by the baking dish-full. I'd eat it all.

My solution is to make individual servings in a silicon cup cake pan. Looks pretty, tastes the same, portion controlled.

That wouldn't work for me. Unless somebody else comes and picks up the remainder of the "individual servings."

If I know they're there, I don't care how they're packaged.

Like individual mini-cheesecakes in the freezer.

If they're there...

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

A copy cat style KFC recipe that My wife and I only have once or twice a year. It is actually much better than anything that I have ever gotten from a bucket from the Colonel. The salt and msg load is pretty staggering on top of the fried aspect , so we limit it to a rare treat

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Lemon Squares/Bars. Very favorite sweet treat. Even more than chocolate chip cookies. Can never resist Lemon Squares.

Nachos with lots of cheese and jalapenos all bubbling under the broiler.

Well, then I'll definitely recommend that you not deep fry fresh corn tortilla quarters, season them with any sort of seasoning salt, dip them in a roasted jalapeno infused modernist cheese sauce, and lovingly sprinkle them with crispy bacon bits.

And definitely, DO NOT dot them with dabs of sriracha and sour cream.

ETA: :raz:

Edited by IndyRob (log)
  • Like 1