• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reliable online cookbooks?

dpcalder

The modern German language is said to have been standardized by Martin Luther's translation of the bible, while holed up in Wartburg Castle, Eisenach. While I was standing in his "study", the barest of possible stone rooms with an astonishing view, an Italian communist politician explained to me the back story. Very amusing to hear it that way, his supporters were all about keeping the tithe in Germany that was going to the Vatican. Hey, follow the money.

So what book standardized the Italian language? La scienza in cucina e l'arte di mangiare bene by Pellegrino Artusi.

Reading the original Fanny Farmer cookbook, I was struck by exactly how much molasses my ancestors used. Here, I'm struck by the vast amounts of nutmeg used in this book. And I thought I had a problem with reflexively using black pepper (and Spanish red peppers).

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."