• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How many steaks can I safely cook sous vide simultaneously?

Bojana

I need to cook 18 steaks of ~180-200gr each sous vide at 54.4. I have Vac Star's Chef II type of circulator and a box that can fit them all. I would cook them for 3-4 hours and then directly pan sear and serve. Do you see any safety issues here? Um, and it is a bit of a last minute question, the dinner is tonight and I have few hours whether to do it in one or two batches. I hope some of you fantastic eGulleters are around and can help me out.

cheers

Bojana

Hope this is not too late. Yes it is safe to cook them ALL at once, the only issue is whether your circulator can provide enough heat.

If it is a tender cut of steak, you don't need 3-4 hours SV. All you need to do is bring it up to temperature - I would suggest 60-90 minutes. If your circulator is struggling to maintain temperature, it will need longer.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Should be fine. Two issues to watch out for: If the box is too big, the vac star might have struggles getting to temp and if the items are placed poorly, circulation might be an issue.

Both are trivially solvable. Once the bath gets up to temp, drop the steaks in, and after 10 minutes, if it's not back up to 54.4F, pour in some boiling water to help it get back up to temp. Check again after another 10 minutes to confirm that it can hold the temp. Once the steaks reach an internal temperature of 54.4, the heater should have no problems holding.

For the second, just give the bath a manual stir once every 10 minutes or so during the first hour of cooking. This will eliminate any hotspots etc. Again, once the food gets up to temp, you're essentially just holding so you don't need to mind it anymore.

PS: I am a guy.

back when, there is a ref. here from PedroG, a Master of SV with a .pdf that you print out and use to get the pasteurization time by thickness of the meat.

try to find that.

for a tender steak its been mentioned that 1 1/2 hour is enough probably for both issues at 130.

Hey guys, just to report back that the dinner went really well. My sous vide had no trouble at all to maintain the temp. The steaks were super tender and tasty. I am on a high for pulling it all off.