• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

12 oz leftover Cambozola - what would you do?

TdeV

After a party, I've got 12 oz Cambozola left over. There are only 3 in the household, so cheeze and crackers won't do.

Can I freeze part of it?

I could use 1/3 for a savoury bread pudding. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

A long time ago my mother used to work in an up-scale cheese store in CA, part time. they gave her all the end pieces and stuff like that.

she sent a lot of them to me. my wife was an expert on making some fine Quiche. lorraine was my fav.

all the bits went into random Quiche's. delicious. unique. never had the same one twice.

thats what Id do

• Like 1

Some of the cheese can go into a Mac and Cheese ... don't overdo it though unless you really like blue cheese.

ETA: I sent you a PM ...

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

I think blue cheese goes nicely with fruit (figs, pears, peaches), roasted vegetables (especially sweet ones), mushrooms, nuts, peppery leaves like rocket, celery, brassicas and roasted garlic and onions. The texture of cambazola is good for putting in sandwiches.

Put some of it in a gratin with sweet vegetables like celeriac and fennel.

Serve it on small toasts with grilled figs and honey and a bitter salad.

Blend it with crème fraîche and put it on endive leaves scattered with some toasted walnuts.

Make a blue cheese butter or a mushroom and cheese sauce for steak.

Use it in gougères.

Make a cheese souffle.

Have it in a blue cheese sauce with cauliflower and broccoli.

Add some to a Waldorf salad.

Blend it into a celery soup.

Grill some on top of sliced and roasted butternut squash and serve it with baby spinach salad.

You'll probably want to eat something else after that :biggrin:

• Like 1

These are all great ideas. Thanks very much! :biggrin:

Can I freeze any of it?

You can freeze cheese but the texture will alter as ice crystals form when the water freezes. You would probably have to use it in cooking rather than eat it as it comes after freezing. A benefit would be that you could grate off small quantities of the frozen cheese as needed.

• Like 1

Make a salad of leaf lettuces, frisee, and/or Belgian endives, with some sliced fresh pears thrown in. Drizzle with a shallot vinaigrette, and serve with a piece of blue cheese on the side.

Or make hot dinner sandwiches of roast beef or roast pork, and top the meat with some blue cheese.

Or make a pizza of fresh sliced tomatoes or tomato sauce, a grind of fresh black pepper, some minced fresh thyme, topped with blue cheese. Drizzle with a little high-quality olive oil when the pizza comes out of the oven.

I've tried all of the above with other kinds of blue cheese, like roquefort, gorgonzola, or Pt Reyes blue cheese. I can't say how these combos would taste with Cambozola. Just some ideas you can play with.

Chop it roughly, mix in some chopped garlic and parsley and use to stuff poussins (or a full-sized chicken, I suppose). Roast as you normally would.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory