• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Popcorn...Revisited

weinoo

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No comment nor judgement but I'd love to learn how to make popcorn without a popcorn maker.

Cmon you can do it with that fancy induction burner!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Wow, I had one of those electric jobs in college! No stove needed, just an outlet. You could take it apart and expose the coil, which turned out to be useful in the winter in Wisconsin when the dorm heat failed. The windows had ice on the inside, but I was able to sit at my desk as long as the coil was plugged in underneath me. I dropped out after a year, ended up finishing college in New Mexico. Much better weather. I just wasn't Wisconsin material.

Are you a Lobo?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Just now, Katie Meadow said:

If going to UNM means you are a Lobo, then yes. I went to one basketball game. My pack was mainly English Dept, poets,  and potheads.

Of course it does!  My wife went to grad school there - there was evidently one guy who made popcorn by the 30 gallon garbage bag.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 7/16/2022 at 7:27 AM, chromedome said:

I used to use a wok for popcorn when my kids were little. The heat and oil and unpopped kernels stay at the bottom of the wok, where the heat is, and the popped kernels sit above them and are safe(r) from being scorched after a moment's ill-timed inattention (which happened frequently when my kids were little). :)

It sounds odd, but it's actually quite functional.

Yeah, as soon as she said 'wok', I thought "that's perfect".

Just need to find a suitable lid.

• Like 1