• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maraschino proportion in Hemingway Daiquiri

Tzatziki

I've been playing around with Hemingway Daiquiris - because it's damn hot right now, and because they're delicious.

However, I'm kind of surprised at the ratios most recipes seem to use (2 rum : 3/4 lime : 1/2 grapefruit : 1/2 maraschino) - when I make them this way, the Luxardo dominates the flavor for me, and also makes it a bit too sweet. Does anyone else cut the maraschino to ~ 1/4 oz? Or could this be a consequence of not having access to crushed ice to serve it with?

Tzatziki,

There was a discussion of Hemingway daiquiri ratios here. It looks like you are using the PDT ratios. I prefer to up the grapefruit and reduce the lime. I use a little more total citrus and maraschino than the PDT version but it's easy enough to reduce the maraschino if you think it's too sweet.

I've also seen recipes that only use a teaspoon each of maraschino and grapefruit juice (like the one rumdood published here). Just try several versions and pick the one you like best (or come up with our own)!