• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Twinkies Are Back!

Shel_B

My better half picked up a box at WalMart over the weekend. I'm not sure how much of my critique is psychological, but I found the sponge cake to be a lot drier than I remember; given the amount of preservatives and dough relaxers in Twinkies, I didn't even think dryness was possible. The filling also seemed a bit more fluid.

“You can’t define these in a recipe. You can only know them...”

-- Julia Child

• 5 years later...

"Dark Blue ‘Moonberry’ Twinkies Land at Walmart"

...Brand new and available exclusively at Walmart for a limited time, Moonberry Twinkies are billed by the brand as featuring “a dark blue, night sky colored sponge cake with a fruity mystery ‘moonberry’ flavored creamy filling”...

The photo of the product on the box cover is enough to put me off Twinkies for the rest of my life. :blink: :(

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 months later...

"REVIEW: Hostess Limited Edition Wintermint Ding Dongs and Mint Chocolate Twinkies"

When I first laid eyes on Wintermint Ding Dongs and Mint Chocolate Twinkies, in a nearly-untouched display at Walmart, I was overwhelmed with gratitude. Maybe it was Thanksgiving looming around the corner or the sugar high I was pre-experiencing, but all I could think was how fortunate I am that someone somewhere started this snack food flavor arms race and I now have a legitimate excuse to eat Ding Dongs on a random Wednesday as a full grown adult. Thank you!

There are photos of the products, plus cutaways. I don't think I am brave enough to try either one. The Ding Dongs don't receive any love in this review.

Has anyone tried them?

Tim Oliver

I am (or was, when I could eat them) adamantly opposed to any Twinkies other than the traditional ones, and DingDongs overall. I don't care for a chocolate-mint combo except in Andes mints, and ice cream.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 hours ago, Toliver said:

"REVIEW: Hostess Limited Edition Wintermint Ding Dongs and Mint Chocolate Twinkies"

There are photos of the products, plus cutaways. I don't think I am brave enough to try either one. The Ding Dongs don't receive any love in this review.

Has anyone tried them?

Not after *that* review!

What is it about people reviewing food (or movies, or books for that matter) that makes them sound so ..... oh I don't know how to describe it.  Like you're suddenly writing for Cook's Illustrated or something.  It's a *snack cake* 🤣

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

"Twinkie's New Giant Baking Kit Is a Party in a Box"

Hostess is finally hopping on board with their very own DIY kit for none other than the iconic Twinkies treat.

For the holiday season, Hostess is launching a bake-your-own party-sized Twinkie kit, complete with cake mix, creme filling mix, and a bake pan. That's right, a party-sized Twinkie.

You can buy the kit at Walmart (click).

• Haha 1

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, MokaPot said:

Twinkie kit must have sold out. Says it's out of stock at Walmart.com.

Maybe they will have them in-store somewhere...:(

Tim Oliver

• 4 months later...

Couldn't find a topic on Hostess, so I am putting this here:

"Hostess Has New Key Lime-Flavored CupCakes That Will Surely Become A Summer Favorite"

It’s filled with “key lime creamy filling,” as described on the packaging, and topped with a green icing. The whole thing looks like a mini key lime pie that’s magically become a cupcake, which makes sense because that’s what the brand was going for.

It's a Limited Edition cupcake.

Also:

"HOSTESS IS RELEASING LEMONADE STAND TWINKIES TO KICK OFF SUMMER TREATS"

...The new Lemonade Stand Twinkies are arriving next month to kick off the warmer weather.

Hostess recently listed the new offering on its website and detailed that they’ll be available from Apr. 7 to July 4. It starts with the classic golden sponge cake that you know and love, but it’s filled with a pink “lemon creamy filling,” as detailed on the adorable packaging.

This could be either very good or could be a huge mistake.xD

• Like 3

Tim Oliver

I'm not sure why Hostess, and Oreo, for that matter, feels the need to mess with its standards. (Although I'll confess to being tempted by the Candy Corn Cupcakes, and I do like the lemon oreos.) They do chocolate cupcakes and vanilla sponge cake, and both of them are horrible, and from time to time, I just HAVE to have one.

• Haha 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I had a great, original idea to make Twinkie tiramisu (b/c I never see ladyfingers at the store). I Googled it and turns out that one of the Disney resorts already thought of it. My next thought was Milano (Pepperidge Farm cookies) tiramisu. Late to the game on that as well. I don't even like tiramisu that much, so not sure why I'm trying to find a twist on the original.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Toliver said:

Couldn't find a topic on Hostess, so I am putting this here:

"Hostess Has New Key Lime-Flavored CupCakes That Will Surely Become A Summer Favorite"

It's a Limited Edition cupcake.

Also:

"HOSTESS IS RELEASING LEMONADE STAND TWINKIES TO KICK OFF SUMMER TREATS"

This could be either very good or could be a huge mistake.xD

I have to admit that this got me thinking that Twinkies filled with lemon or lime curd might be nice to make.  I went off to Google Twinkie pans but haven't ordered one yet 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have to admit that this got me thinking that Twinkies filled with lemon or lime curd might be nice to make.  I went off to Google Twinkie pans but haven't ordered one yet 🙃

I met someone who was a cook on a research ship. She made some homemade Twinkies that I got to taste. Very good, but not exactly the same texture as Twinkies. IIRC, she made the Twinkies jelly-roll style (didn't have the Twinkie pans), one complete revolution with cream in the middle. But I can understand wanting the exact shape of a Twinkie.

• Like 2