• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Noma - In Pictures

iainpb

The Noma lunch menu from August 8th 2013

Frozen gooseberry and elderflower

a.jpg

"Nordic Coconut" - Kohlrabi filled with liquid kolhrabi drunk through through the straw

b.jpg

Fried Reindeer moss, cep powder with creme fraiche

c.jpg

Danish flatbread with grilled roses

d.jpg

Peas, pine and chamomile

e.jpg

blackcurrant, berry and roses

f.jpg

caramelised milk crisp and cod liver

g.jpg

Cheese crisp and chive

h.jpg

Pickled, smoked quail egg

i.jpg

æbleskive (traditional danish christmas doughnut) filled with greens & fermented crickets

j.jpg

Grilled leek and cod roe

k.jpg

The bread, Noma's butter and pork fat with apple schnapps

l.jpg

Berries and grilled vegetables

m.jpg

Shrimps and rhubarb roots in leaves

n.jpg

onion and fermented pear

o.jpg

Beets and plums

p.jpg

cauliflower and pine with cream and fresh horseradish

q.jpg

potato and bleak fish roe

r.jpg

roasted turbot, celeriac, bitter greens and nasturtium

s.jpg

ants in leaves (used because of their lemony taste as lemons aren't native to Denmark)

t.jpg

Blueberry toasts

u.jpg

potato, plum compote and whipped centre of plum (which tastes like almond)

v.jpg

sourdough, roasted yeast and seaweed

w.jpg

danish pastry

x.jpg

Pork scratching, chocolate, berries

y.jpg

A treat for later - A beer specially brewed for Noma by Copenhagen craft beer brewer Mikeller

zz.jpg

Hi FrogPrincesse,

I'm not a huge beetroot fan so this wasn't one of my favourites. The dish was quite sweet courtesy of the beetroot which was very fresh. We found that vegetables seem to be cooked a little firmer in Denmark (Noma & other restaurants) than we are used to, so the soft beets and firm potatoes gave a nice contrast of textures. The dish was finished off with some quite bitter flowers so the dish was very nicely balanced when you had all three components together in one mouthful, but the components didn't work in isolation.

To be honest they were actually quite good, they had a consistency like jam (jelly for the US), they were fruity, vibrant and bright and if i hadn't known there were ants inside I would never have guessed. As far as I recall, they were just at room temperature, not chilled and i'm pretty sure they dead (at least I hope they were) and blended but unsure if the filling was pure ant or was mixed with another ingredient. I was a little squeamish about the concept of eating insects but put it out my mind and it tasted good!

• 4 weeks later...