• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ireland's national dish: help me find the best recipe

Hi,

I am starting up a company with a service where you can match the ingredients you have at home with the recipes you can make. At the launch I am planning to include the recipes of all national dishes in the world.

I have now listed what the national dish is in all countries and I have also a list of recipes for each dish that was found on the web. What I now need help with is to find the best recipe for it!

Since you probably have some “inside information” I was hoping you could help me out picking the best recipe for the national dish I have chosen.

For Ireland my choice for the national dish is:

Irish stew

Here are the recipes I have found:

Please look them over and pick the one you think is the best or just pick another recipe if you have a better one, or make a new one combining the best parts of each recipe, it is up to you. Would love to get your input on which is the best recipe! Or even better, cook the dish, write a short review and take a picture of it. That would be really awesome! :biggrin:

What can be considered as the ”best” recipe is of course subjective and up to you but consider the following aspects:

• Easy to cook
  • Fast to make
  • Simple ingredients (or simple to replace)
  • Traditional/typical for that dish
  • Yummy!

This thread is mainly about finding the best recipe for the national dish I have choosen. If you disagree with my choice of national dish, then of course you are welcome to tell which dish you would pick instead.

If you have general comments or questions regarding this that is not specifically for this country or dish then please write in this thread instead:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145477-gathering-the-best-recipes-of-national-dishes

Thank you in advance!

/Kalle Söderman

https://www.facebook.com/IngredientMatcher

Building the web service and the iPhone app IngredientMatcher which will enable you to show the recipes you can make out of the ingredients you have at home. The recipes we will start with is the national dish of every country in the world.

I am starting up a company with a service where you can match the ingredients you have at home with the recipes you can make.

Why not call your company "Google"? :sad:

That is where I go to find recipes containing a certain list of ingredients. There are also many other sites offering just such a service. I've yet to see one as efficient as Google.

As to Irish stew being the national dish, I don't know. In my younger days I spent a lot of time in Ireland. I don't remember ever being served Irish stew in Ireland. We ate it often in Scotland, though.

Bacon and cabbage, however, is ubiquitous in Ireland.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 4 weeks later...

I have to agree with Liuzhou. The only places in Ireland where you find Irish stew is in pubs and restaurants catering for tourists. It is possible there is no national dish. So perhaps a recipe with wild salmon, or mackerel? Or for something easy to prepare from common ingredients what about colcannon?