• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help Choose From So Many Food TV Shows

weinoo

I'm starting to think that FN actually stands for F... No!

There's not a single good show left on that channel, at least none I can seem to find. The trend of being icky or having people yell at each other is getting so old...

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

There are a couple shows that are actually quite nice: Ina Garten is very pleasant and cooks in her Hampton's kitchen for her husband and her friends. Giada Delaurentis cooks in spectacular home kitchens in Beverly Hills that her show leases from the owners for background.

These shows are all on during the day or on the weekend as reruns, though.

no worries i capped them all back in the day and have then on a HD.

I can see how he might rub people one way or another. but that show was very much about real regional Italian.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I gave up on FN when they announced their upcoming season and Alton Brown's boney visage was shown mugging as the host . . . AGAIN.

I've been watching the BBC's cooking shows, especially their version of Master Chef. It's so refreshing to have competent judges (with 2 Michelin stars, so actually cred), competitors without attitude, weird hairstyles or sleeves of tattoos, who actually listen to the criticism/praise of the judges without getting a case of the ass about it and pronouncing the judges to be wrong to the camera in the Confessionals.

Ive been watching MC Professional on BBC as well and it's easily my favorite cooking show right now. Not sure Michelin stars are a good way to rate the judges though. I think the judges on master chef US are not so great as judges, and Graham Elliot has 2 stars and Gordon Ramsay has 16 (most in the world) including a three star restaurants and a couple of 2 stars.

Edited by Twyst (log)

You're right, Twyst. I was referring more to the judges on Top Chef. Owning a restaurant or several doesn't make one the authority, as Tom C. demonstrates each season.

I'm loving the BBC MC Professional, as well. I love all the care in technique and plating. Classical training is a thing of beauty to watch.

• Like 1

new BBC show: Incredible spice men

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/10253130/The-Incredible-Spice-Men-BBC-Two-review.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0394f74/episodes/guide

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/programmes/b0394f74

learned a lot from the first show on selecting ginger etc

seen both chefs several times on other BBC shows.

need Internet savy or understanding on working iPlayer.