• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipes using tapioca/manioc flour?

tikidoc

I recently bought some tapioca flour to make a batch of pao de queijo (Brazilian cheese puffs). I enjoy the texture (yes, I like mochi too) of the puffs. So I started looking for other recipes using the tapioca flour. What I have mostly found is a lot of gluten free recipes using tapioca flour. As a rule, they are trying to recreate wheat flour recipes as closely as possible, without gluten. I am not concerned about being gluten free, or converting wheat based recipes to gluten free recipes. I am looking for recipes that use tapioca flour because that is what is used in the recipe (not as a replacement for something else).

Ideas?

Edited by tikidoc (log)

Muchines de Yuca come to mind, if you can also get your hands on some whole root. Grate this, soak in salt water, drain, then mix a sort of fritter using harina de yuca and egg. Stuff that with cheese and fry until golden - super yum.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Modernist Cuisine at Home version of modernist gelato. I have made the peanut butter variation multiple times and it is wonderful.

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/p-b-j-gelato/

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Another common recipe from Brazil using tapioca flour (polvilho in portugese):

They usually just call it tapioca, it is a pancake made from tapioca and water which is filled with wathever you like (cheese, jam, Nutella, etc...)

The recipe is quite simple, you just need to get the right amount of water in (I don't know the exact ratio of water to flour):

- Take some tapioca flour and add just enough water to have a uniform paste.
- Put a bit of paste in a fine sieve above a small non stick pan. Push the paste through the sieve until you achieve the wanted pancake thickness.
- Heat the pan until the bottom of the pancake is slightly brown
- Fill with whit whatever you like and close in half

You might find more information here: http://eatrio.net/2013/01/brazilian-tapioca.html

Romain Testuz