• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Muffulettas - Cheese Question

Kim Shook

Mr. Kim has requested muffulettas for his birthday dinner. We have a jar of Central Grocery olive salad and I've narrowed down the meats to hard salami, mortadella and capicola. Every recipe I've found calls for Provolone and mozzarella. I believe that aged Provolone will be good, from what I remember of our sandwiches we had there years ago, but as far as the mozz goes - fresh or not?

If I use mozzarella (I don't always use it in a muffuletta, even if it is traditional), I just use sliced from the deli counter. But fresh mozzarella isn't an option where I live so don't take that as advice.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.