• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

huiray

Grocery Shopping

well , about Butter

a Chamber-Vac and freezer are helpful here 

for some time , not in the last few months

Generic butter would come from time to time for $ 1.49 locally

I stocked up and Vac'd

I decided to splurge  once

and get Challenge butter

https://challengedairy.com

it was on sale for $1.99

so ive moved in that direction

it did taste better than the generic $ 1.49

this is one on many quirks I have.  its not economic as such

just odd.

• Like 1

• Like 5

"The only questions that really matter are the ones you ask yourself."

Ursula K. Le Guin

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

That is an excellent idea. I know that my darling and I often do exactly as described: go in for a few things - or even a whole list - but still stagger out wondering what happened. At our stores things are itemized in groups (meats together, dairy together, and so on) so we can kindof see where all the money went. The bar graphs and bubble diagrams in this receipt make a great visualization tool.

Would it change the way we shop? Well...probably not...but it would be enlightening. It might also help to confirm our suspicions that meat is more expensive at one of the places we shop but produce is more so at another.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The weather this afternoon was as dry as it's been this spring (though that's not saying much) so I decided to hazard a trip to the store.  The wetlands are usually mud and standing water.  Today the trail was babbling brook.  Some civic minded soul had put down rocks for stepping stones.

I made it to Shoprite without falling in.  I didn't need much but I learned Shoprite no longer carries Jif Natural peanut butter.  Why, Shoprite?  I also stopped for rum.

Going home I planned a different, much longer route that I could cross dry shod.  In the fifteen years or so since the corn fields have become a park there are trails I've only been on a couple times.  I had to pause to appreciate the views.  I am fortunate to live in an area of natural beauty.  Even if it is short on grocery stores.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

We've been gone from our MX home for a month (FL and Portugal) and we're still tired, time-zone impaired and generally discombobulated.  

Went to the small produce market looking for some zucchini.  I buy them now and then, but thought these a bit smaller than usual.  

Get them home and start to peel.   Not zucchini.  

They are Persian cucumbers (googled ) and I think the best cucumber I have ever had!  Glad I made that mistake 😋

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was at the grocery today and buy rice, meat, carrot, onion and species for the rice with meat. And did it today. Tastyyyy

Went to H mart in Merrifield to replenish our kimchi supply.  Saw these mushrooms.  Does anyone know what meat flavor means?  And lobsters were on sale 7.99 a pound.  There is some glare from the glass but these crustaceans were huge!

58EBF548-8A50-4177-B889-BF7D81B38F73.thumb.jpeg.b9d521a219b2a3e0bd5bfe15182e36ae.jpeg

604B27AD-AF1C-42B8-87CE-FFC4366B8811.thumb.jpeg.04b0811dd47ad3b89adc75b10eec3754.jpeg

• Like 2

Last night a friend took me to Shoprite after we got off from work.  For once I finished shopping before she did.  She explained the local Shoprite has much better selection than the Shoprite where she lives.  I felt less guilty.  What was most gratifying and brought me almost to tears, while in the store I was offered two rides home:  one by an acquaintance from the library and one by the clerk who bagged my order, if I could wait till she finished her shift.

And now I have dishwasher detergent and peanuts.

• Like 8