• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grocery Shopping

huiray

Groceries 2014-0621

BRFM (Broad Ripple Farmers’ Market):

Parsley, Red-green leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce (slightly pointy leaves), young garlic bulbs, baby zucchini w/ blossoms attached (plus two male flowers), snow peas, quart of strawberries.

DSCN1879a_600.jpg

CFM (Carmel Farmers’ Market):

Tomatoes (meant for soup), baby onions w/ greenery attached, yellow patty pan squash.

Claus’ German Sausage & Meats:

Smoked Kielbasa, Weisswurst, coarse Braunschweiger, pressed tongue, Westphalian ham, fresh calves’ liver, jarred Hengstenberg Sauerkraut.

Goose the Market:

Tarentaise cheese, duck leg quarters.

The Fresh Market:

Ricotta (whole milk), Pecorino Romano (shaved), croissants, fedelini & angel hair pastas [De Cecco].

I been to City gross and I got  3 kilo of ground chuck,  3 kilos of thick pork ribs and 1 kilo of Texas steak. Heck knows  why they call it that but it is beef was on offer and that suited my wallet and canned crushed tomatoes   from Mutti, canned beans from Zeeta, 2 kilo  frozen Ebba peas from Findus and  canned corn from Green Giant. 

I missed the fact I was out of fine rye flour before I left.

Tomorrow is market day, so I be going to get some nice yummy fresh stuff.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

image.jpg

Last minute speedy trip to The Punjab in Hamilton to gather ingredients to go north to Manitoulin with me and Kerry Beal so we can cook from "Jerusalem". Fresh ingedients should not be much of a challenge on the Island in July. Any minimally exotic ingredients we might have forgotten will definitely trip us up.

Not a great photo so on the right are walnuts, hazelnuts, glace cherries, cayenne and figs.

In the middle barberries, pistachios, pomegranate molasses and buttermilk powder (unrelated!)

On the left date molasses, candied peel, tahini, pine nuts and currants.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The Brothers Fruit and Veg, isnt a  green grocer but a  mostly Arabic goods store and I was up there today,  I got  whole, cumin, black pepper, whole green cardamom,    sriracha  and  Greek pasta.

And I also went to a major chain store and got  fine rye flour.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Groceries 2014-0628

BRFM:

Young red carrots, Chioggia beets, red chard, a head of young curly kale, wild-collected oyster mushrooms, baby garlic, mizuna, baby zucchini w/ blossoms on, farm eggs, a head of broccoli, romaine lettuce, Western chives.

CFM:

Ripe tomatoes (for more soup & for sauce), a head of Tuscan kale.

Goose the Market:

Patagonian prawns (Pleoticus muelleri), Vella Dry Jack cheese, duck livers (not foie gras).

The shallow white dish the prawns (in its cardboard punnet) is sitting in is 8 inches in diameter.  Eight prawns = 1.1 lbs.

Patagonian prawns:

DSCN1943a_800.jpg

Carrots & beets:

DSCN1950a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

Groceries 2014-0703

Asia Mart:

Soft tofu, firm tofu, dried shrimp (har mai), frozen vegetarian spring rolls, frozen glutinous rice & pork/shiitake wrapped in lotus leaf, scallions, bitter melon “#1” (a “select” variety – possibly this one or similar), yu choy sum, Chinese long beans, long hot green peppers, coriander leaf, Japanese cucumbers, fresh galangal, garlic, ginger, short-cut pork spare ribs, fresh chicken wings, head-on shrimp, soba (w/ yam) noodles, (8-year-old) Shao Hsing Hua Tiao Rice Wine [Tang brand] (塘牌 八年陳釀 花雕酒).

-----------------------------

Groceries 2014-0705

BRFM:

Maitake mushrooms (brown-streaked variety), zucchini blossoms, leafy celery, shishito peppers, baby new potatoes, roma beans.

CFM:

Chanterelle mushrooms, rhubarb, heirloom garlic, tomatoes.

Maitake.  Three pieces, the bottom-left piece is about 6 inches across the 3 lobes.  (bottom-right piece has one lobe)

DSCN2028a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)

Groceries 2014-0712

BRFM:

Tuscan kale, parsley, tiny new Red Pontiac potatoes, tiny Zephyr squash, baby zucchini w/ blossoms attached.

CFM:

Chanterelle mushrooms, fresh Music garlic (some of the biggest and nicest I’ve seen in a while; I stocked up!), tomatoes.

Groceries 2014-0628

BRFM:

Young red carrots, Chioggia beets, red chard, a head of young curly kale, wild-collected oyster mushrooms, baby garlic, mizuna, baby zucchini w/ blossoms on, farm eggs, a head of broccoli, romaine lettuce, Western chives.

CFM:

Ripe tomatoes (for more soup & for sauce), a head of Tuscan kale.

Goose the Market:

Patagonian prawns (Pleoticus muelleri), Vella Dry Jack cheese, duck livers (not foie gras).

The shallow white dish the prawns (in its cardboard punnet) is sitting in is 8 inches in diameter.  Eight prawns = 1.1 lbs.

Patagonian prawns:

attachicon.gifDSCN1943a_800.jpg

Carrots & beets:

attachicon.gifDSCN1950a_800.jpg

Indiana: who knew? morels and prawns?

Indiana: who knew? morels and prawns?

Heh.  Yes, we get such things here too.  :-) 

The Patagonian prawns were by way of Chicago to Goose the Market.  Morels are certainly found in Indiana too and harvested in season.

We get local shrimp/prawns too.  There are saltwater shrimp/prawn farms in Indiana, like this one; and from time to time I pick up some that were swimming around the evening before I got my hands on them.  I've mentioned these in some previous posts here in this thread.  So, yes - we get local shrimp and morels. :-) 

• Like 1

Indiana... it's more than pork and corn... ( although we're proud of those too! :biggrin: )

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Groceries 2014-0718 to 0719

Goose the Market:

Locally farmed Pacific White shrimp (whole, heads & everything) [bedrock Springs, Crawfordsville, IN]; Wild Alaskan king salmon; Cheeses – Bellavitano Balsamic [sartori], Quadrello di Bufala [Portoni], Brescianella Stagionata [Guffanti].

BRFM:

• Silverthorn Farm – Orange carrots, fennel bulb, shishito peppers, baby Zephyr squash, baby Red Gold potatoes, Tuscan kale, basil (lots, for pesto).

• Annabelle’s Garden – Cherokee Purple tomatoes.

• Whipker-Azalia Farm Market – Baby zucchini w/ blossoms.

• Wild’s Apple Farm – Russian Yellow cucumber (big one, for soup).

• Schacht Farm – Eggs.

• Brotgarten – “Epi wheat stalk” bread loaf.

CFM:

• Farming Engineers – Dragon Tongue beans, Yellow wax beans.

• Daily Farms – Chanterelle mushrooms.

• Middlefork Produce – Spanish Roja garlic (stocked up on these too).

• Van Antwerp’s farm Market – Green zucchini (9/$3), Honeydew melon “Marygold”.

Om India Plaza:

Basmati rice – Daawat & Qilla brands; Murraya koenigii leaves (curry leaves, கருவேப்பிலை), drumsticks (Moringa oleifera immature fruits), guva beans, coriander leaves; fresh samosas.

Saraga International Market:

Bone-in beef short ribs ($3.69/lb), bone-in sliced beef shanks ($2.29/lb), fuzzy squash, bittergourds, poblano peppers, green onions/scallions (3/$1), limes (10/$1); fresh enoki, king oyster & white beech mushrooms.

Edited by huiray (log)

Groceries 2014-0726

BRFM:

• Anna Belle’s Garden – Chanterelle mushrooms.  These were good today.

• Funny Bone Farm – Small-floret small broccoli heads.

• Nicole-Taylor’s Pasta – Fresh radiatore & spaghettini.

• Silverthorn Farm – Red carrots, shishito peppers, baby new Yukon Gold potatoes, basil.

• Yeager Farm Produce – Juliet Roma tomatoes. Still prettily blushed green at the ends.

• Fields Farm Fresh – Romaine & (deep) red-green lettuce.

• Harvestland Farm – Western chives.

CFM:

• Farming Engineers – Dragon Tongue beans, Chinese long beans.

• Middlefork Produce – Siberian Red garlic.  Beautiful.  I stocked up.

• Van Antwerp’s Farm Market – Green zucchini, heirloom tomatoes.

Groceries 2014-0801 to 0802

Asia Mart:  Enoki mushrooms, maitake mushrooms, fresh yakisoba [Maruchan], Chinese BBQ pork (char-siu), daikon, kai lan, ginger, opo squash, fresh lotus roots, Japanese cucumbers, long hot green chillies, bitter melon #1 (a Taiwanese white hybrid), fresh galangal, Shanghai choy sum, scallions, coriander leaves, Shin Black Spicy Pot-au-feu Flavor instant noodles [Nong Shim], Artificial Hot & Sour Shrimp Flavor instant noodles [Dragonfly], Artificial Pork-Ribs Flavor instant noodles [Dragonfly], Sapporo Ichiban Japanese Style Noodles & Chicken Flavored-Soup [sanyo Foods], fresh Shanghai Yangchun noodles, soft tofu, firm tofu, short-cut pork spare ribs, sesame oil [Kimlan], dried Chinese jujubes (“lam jou” variety (南棗)), dried Chinese mushrooms (“far koo” variety (花菇)), Hong Kong style thin wonton wrappers, frozen pandan leaves, Taiwanese-origin Fuzhou-type wheat noodles [Hung-Ming], fresh garoupa (石斑魚).

Goose the Market:  Debreziner sausages, Owl Creek Tomme cheese, Flösserkässe cheese, Ciresa Tallegio cheese.

BRFM:  Chanterelle mushrooms, Poona Kheera cucumbers, Brown Russian cucumber (old one, the vendor kept this for me), baby Lady’s Fingers (okra).

CFM:  Japanese Trifele tomatoes.

Saraga International Market:  Squash blossoms (this was listed as “pumpkin flower”), Thai eggplants (gree-white variety), Thai basil.

Plus other meats & shrimp etc from the butcher & the supermarket.

Pic of some of the stuff: 

Center – Brown Russian cucumber.

From top going clockwise – Thai eggplants, Poona Kheera cucumbers (stack of three), chanterelles, Japanese Trifele tomatoes, squash blossoms.

DSCN2328b_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)

BRFM:  Sun Gold tomatoes, baby Japanese & Chinese long-type aubergines, Bulgarian Carrot peppers, Green Zebra tomatoes, White Russian kale, brown eggs, Pane Francese.

Goose the Market:  Local shrimp (Crawfordsville), Tarentaise cheese [Farms for City Kids], Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, Victory Hill Reserve cheese, Old Kentucky Tomme cheese.

Asia Mart:  Scallions, burdock root, angled loofah, fresh lychees, whole black peppercorns, frozen stewing chicken, short-cut pork spare ribs, pork belly strips, Da Guan (Taiwanese brand) Jasmine Green Tea (大觀  清香茉莉綠茶).

Edited by huiray (log)

BRFM:  Cherokee Purple tomatoes, parsley, red carrots, shishito peppers, Poona Kheera cucumber, White Russian kale, Western chives.

CFM:  Purple Chinese long beans, yellow zucchini, fresh radiatore pasta, fresh mozzarella, blemished tomatoes (for soup), green zucchini, green-shelled farm eggs.

Asia Mart:  Chinese roasted pork (siu yook), coriander leaves, Chinese chive flower buds, water spinach (ong choy), baby Shanghai bok choy, lemon grass, daikon, packaged bamboo shoots in water [J.Z.], High Mountain Green Tea [Da Guan], seasoned crisp bamboo shoots (bottled) [Tomo Foods], chili radish (bottled) [Kim Lan], “tapioca stick" (Bánh ướt) (tapioca starch version), mutenka shiro miso [Maruman], pickled plums (umeboshi) [Daiei].

Saturday 2014-0823.

BRFM:  Curly kale, mini cauliflower heads, Suyo long cucumber, angled loofah.

CFM:  Green & purple Chinese long beans, Japanese Trifele tomatoes, green zucchini, hot long red chillies, “Epi wheat stalk” bread loaf.

Goose the Market:  Tarentaise cheese, Cumberland cheese, monkfish.

Grocery shopping 2014-0830

BRFM:  Local wild-harvested chicken-of-the-wood, oyster, chanterelle mushrooms; Green Zebra tomatoes, baby Zephyr squash, Delicata squash, teeny white cauliflowers; angled loofah, old (cracked very brown thick skin) Poona Kheera cucumbers – for soup; Ozette fingerling potatoes; Russian Banana fingerling potatoes; free-range chicken frame/carcass.

CFM:  Fennel bulb (one of the nicest I’ve seen all season), green & purple Chinese long beans, Dragon Tongue beans, a big Wong Nga Pak (Napa cabbage); Tuscan/Lacinato kale, shiro plums.

Asia MartGold Pocky chocolate-covered biscuit sticks, whole white peppercorns, soft tofu blocks, fresh rice noodle (“hor fun” type), fresh turmeric, soy puffs [Nature’s Soy], pickled plums (sweet & sour, bottled in liquid), pickled lemons (bottled in liquid), fresh King Oyster mushrooms, daikon, “Tai Ku Choy” (a form of Tatsoi) (塌菜), fresh chicken wings (middle sections only), fresh ginger, coriander leaves (3 bunches/$1), scallions/green onions (4 bunches @ 2/$1), Chinese celery, Japanese cucumbers (shorter type).

Bluebeard/Amelia’s:  half a loaf of semolina bread.

Claus’ German Sausage & Meats:  Pressed tongue, Pepper Beef, coarse Braunschweiger, Frankfurters, calf’s liver, bulk Sauerkraut.

Goose the Market:  Duck legs, Kenny’s Reserve Asiago cheese, Headwaters Tomme cheese.

Edited by huiray (log)

BRFM:  Rose Finn Apple fingerling potatoes, Japanese Trifele tomatoes, farm eggs.

CFM:  Green Chinese long beans, fennel bulb, green zucchini.

Asia Mart:  Fresh Yellow Skin chicken, scallions, coriander leaves, Thai basil, fresh pandan leaves, Thai red chillies, long hot green chillies, fresh galangal & fresh ginger (these were really young and fresh, for a "grocery" - still fleshy bracts on them, quite firm and young - clearly recently harvested), Tong Ho (edible chrysanthemum), fresh Chinese mushrooms (Tung Koo), bittergourds (Taiwanese-type "#1"), fried tofu puffs, soft tofu, firm tofu, "fish meat emulsion" (frozen), short-cut pork spare ribs, pickled cabbage fish flavor instant vermicelli (5-pack).

Saturday.

BRFM:  Baby Zephyr squash, celery root w/ celery fronds, leeks, French Breakfast radishes, sweet red peppers, maitake mushrooms, small broccoli florets, small white cauliflowers, poblano peppers, "young" Poona Kheera cucumber, Japanese Trifele tomatoes, daikon, Rose Finn Apple fingerlings.

CFM:  Painted Serpent cucumber, long red cayenne peppers. 

Painted Serpent cucumber, 3-pronged daikon w/ appendage hanging between.

DSCN2669b_800.jpg

• Like 2

I got this on my doorstep today.  :-)  

I had tired of getting this only sporadically at the local "gourmet" place that carries this.  I also gather that there are issues with payments between this local place and Thistle farm.  :-) 

DSCN2701a_800.jpg

Grocery shopping 2014-0919/0920

The Fresh Market:  Hatch chiles, angel hair pasta, Belgian dark chocolate [Cavalier].

Goose the Market:  Fresh Icelandic cod, pork spare ribs, Jamon Serrano, Saxon Greenfields cheese.

BRFM:  Savoy cabbage, Chioggia beets, green shishito peppers, big fat RED shishito peppers, mizuna greens, small broccoli florets, rainbow chard.

CFMWong nga pak (Napa), young daikon, Spanish Roja garlic, red cayenne chillies.

Asia Mart:  Cooked duck egg yolks (packaged), fresh tonkatsu ramen (w/ sauce packs) [sun Noodle], Thai hom mali rice (Golden Elephant & Four Horses (??) brands), Pull Mustard (雪裡紅), fuzzy squash, pea tips, green onions, young ginger, bitter melon #1 (Taiwanese “white” type), dried bok choy (“choy kon”; 白菜幹), chicken drumsticks, soft tofu, firm tofu, fried bean curd [Water Lilies brand].

Today I purchased 500ml of California extra virgin olive oil, the same mount of organic Italian evoo, a half-dozen bananas, two cans of Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes, 2 1/2 lbs of locally grown raw, organic, unpasteurized almonds, and 1/4 lb of organic medjool dates.

... Shel