• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

huiray

Grocery Shopping

Been re-stocking the vinegar shelf.

vinegars.thumb.jpg.64363eeea5deec29c4ff1924d9508792.jpg

L-R White rice vinegar, white wine vinegar, Shanxi (6-year) aged vinegar, Zhenjiang vinegar, Zhejiang red vinegar, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar di Modena, cider vinegar, apple vinegar.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, lindag said:

If you need help, let me know.  I have resources.

Thanks very much but I'll be fine for food and toilet paper.

• Haha 1

You have both ends covered so I suspect the middle can take care of itself

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:17 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Do report back when you find out what has changed. 

There is a bill in the NJ Assembly (A1278) and Senate (S2282) to allow the # of retail liquor licenses held by an individual or corporation to increase from 2 (the current level) to 10, gradually over ten years.  

I believe those bills are both still in committee.

I find the wide range of state liquor laws amazing.  New York State also forbids wine and liquor sales in grocery stores and restricts the # of retail liquor licenses to one per individual or corporation, so no sales by chains either.  It also forbids retail liquor stores from selling anything besides liquor and wine (food, cigarettes, etc.) except for a few specified items like ice, corkscrews, wine publications, etc.

I can't speak to your local situation, @rotuts,  but liquor prices at my TJ's, by and large, are generally within a dollar or two (up or down) of the prices at Total Wine.  They do have some of their own labels and sometimes get in a name brand product that is quite a good deal but those things come and go and can't be relied on.  

I have not used them in a while, but in the past, have had great success with Pop's Wine delivered to my front door. If getting around is an issue, you might give them a try.

https://www.popswine.com/

HC

On our recent trip to Italy, we developed a fondness for aperol spritz's and I decided to add them to our home bar set-up. UPS just delivered the Prosecco, but Pop's Wine can no longer deliver "spirits" outside of the state of NY, so I'll have to pick that up locally.

HC

IMG_2070.thumb.JPG.7ebd953ce5ce901f75eee05f67f4e873.JPGIMG_2073.thumb.JPG.9955b9d0e6cbade7562d94bb5f7047b8.JPG

• Like 5

Today's haul after shopping for an empty fridge.

Only thing missing from the picture is 2 litres of milk.

Turkey thighs will be brined and eaten on Saturday along with the sweet potato and the eggplant; trout will be stuffed with shrimp and cooked in parchment paper served with the long beans and some mushrooms and coconut rice from the freezer tonight.  Caesar salad for lunch.  The pineapple may go into tonight's cocktail. 

DSC02788.thumb.jpg.3c2f41c4d0b08de4402abb9b7046d1d2.jpg

• Like 6