• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grocery Shopping

huiray

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I read that there is a worldwide shortage of Dijon mustard. It seems that Dijon is made in Dijon but the mustard doesn't have to be grown there and, in fact, mostly comes from Eastern Europe where the supply chain is distrupted for obvious reasons. Also, the climate has having its effect on harvests.

I became curious about the availability here. I learned that nowhere on the label of the Maille brand (original or old-style*) does the word Dijon appear. Nor do I see it on your jar of Wholegrain. 
*equivalent to Wholegrain. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

27 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I became curious about the availability here. I learned that nowhere on the label of the Maille brand (original or old-style*) does the word Dijon appear. Nor do I see it on your jar of Wholegrain. 
*equivalent to Wholegrain. 

The name Dijon does appear on the traditional type's label. I'm confused that whole grain is labelled "old -style". Quite the reverse.

The name Dijon is protected under French law (has been since 1937) and has to be made in a certain way. Most of the mustard comes from Canada, but the failed harvest is causing problems.

As I understand it, the wholegrain variety is not covered by the French law, only the traditional, so that may be the reason for the omission in that variety. Whether Canada follows the French ruling or not, I don't know.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

The name Dijon does appear on the traditional type's label. I'm confused that whole grain is labelled "old -style". Quite the reverse.

The name Dijon is protected under French law (has been since 1937) and has to be made in a certain way. Most of the mustard comes from Canada, but the failed harvest is causing problems.

As I understand it, the wholegrain variety is not covered by the French law, only the traditional, so that may be the reason for the omission in that variety. Whether Canada follows the French ruling or not, I don't know.

Yeah. It’s just an interesting observation. I feel fairly certain that the word Dijon did appear on these jars in the past. 
I just double checked and I misspoke! Sorry. F8F38469-A268-4137-830F-4E6E056D946D.thumb.png.35b4e91702fdea90d9db57bd7d9d9eeb.pngED622974-2FA1-456C-9A3E-510937A6AADF.thumb.png.f133f2e6f41f9a911a1e3a0a802258e4.pngThe word Dijon does appear on the original. 
Notice also that the numbers are different. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Well, it's well-known that the USA routinely ignores European protection laws. Thye couldn't sell that in France.

The plot thickens because Unilever now seems to own the rights to the Maille brand. And if you dig a little deeper there appears to be a class action against Unilever for misleading consumers into believing their product is made in France where in fact it is made in Canada. 

Maille mustard sold by Sainsbury’s in the UK uses the number 260 to say 260 years of expertise. This is quite the rabbit hole to fall down. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, it's well-known that I do most of my shopping in the USA. @Anna N probably shops in Canada.

image.thumb.png.eb4d4db901cb5ba965bddf776bfd9515.png

Here's the word Dijon on the label - but just a sort of branding (Queen of Dijon) thing.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Tj's has two Dijon's , made in FR:

shopping.thumb.jpeg.bf1e77450233d8d3c15d29ab681fff44.jpeg

been using this for years .  Excellent Dijon , from Dijon !

they had it in stock this tuesday

they are said to have this :

87305351_TjsDijon.thumb.jpg.c091bff5b6951aa002b62944206b4849.jpg

I have not tried it , but will look for it next trip.

• Like 1

Duh!

I was merely answering @Anna N's question as to why my wholegrain didn't say Dijon.

I am well aware that American brands do, so I'm not sure what you are trying to prove. But thanks for translating the French. French is my first language.

37 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I am well aware that American brands do, so I'm not sure what you are trying to prove. But thanks for translating the French. French is my first language.

It's funny, but I didn't realize you were the only person reading this thread. And I'm very glad I now know what your first language is; I don't know how I would've gotten through the day without that knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I was told by a mate living in France that there were a big shortage and limited availability of mustard in France. I don't understand why French people have not go back to their old traditions and use once more the famous Guillotine :D

Another product that is expecting to have shortages after this season is Olive oil. Spain, the main producer worldwide is under severe drought, and some people has even said that the production may drop up to 70%. So, even if (hopefully) the drop is smaller, I would expect similar reductions at least around the Mediterranean basin, where the climatic conditions are similar, and where the most of olive oil is produced.

• Like 1

Going back to the main topic of this thread, I want to share two recent online shoppings:

A lot of seafood from rainbowtomatoesgarden. A lot of anchovies from my very own county, some special stuff like cocochas from Hake (manufactered by schoolfriends), but also stuff I wanted to give a go like sturgeon. My experience with two shoppings is above my expectations. I attach also a picture with some labeling. I love that they state clearly with a label in any anchovy tin that it must be kept refrigerated, but also they put labels on the boxes outside, stating that there is seafood inside, and the labels are custom for each package. In the first, it show anchovies (main product of my cart), in the second, sturgeon (main product of the cart).

I will soon place a new order :)

image.thumb.jpeg.b43e2d282629beebde08687a2db050e2.jpeg

second-order.jpg

labels-rainbow-received.png

• Like 5

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

500 grams of frozen Sika deer venison filet mignon.

Not something I’ve noticed showing up in my local supermarket. 😂

• Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

Nor mine. I buy it online.  I comes from the opposite end of China.

Ah. It is still quite remarkable to me that you can have access to so many different food stuffs although I understand that some western foodstuffs are not so easily obtainable. But still it is quite remarkable that something perishable can be shipped from the other side of China when Costco will only deliver non-perishable groceries to me in a major metropolitan area. 
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I always find them interesting. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

49 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Ah. It is still quite remarkable to me that you can have access to so many different food stuffs although I understand that some western foodstuffs are not so easily obtainable. But still it is quite remarkable that something perishable can be shipped from the other side of China when Costco will only deliver non-perishable groceries to me in a major metropolitan area. 
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I always find them interesting. 

When I first came to China in 1996, very few western food items were available. Almost none.

But today, I can get almost everything - albeit at a price.

I'd say that China's online shopping is maybe the most advanced anywhere and never takes long. It comes in well insulated packaging, usually still frozen.

And porch pirates are unheard of. They don't dump stuff outside your door! Every small community has a store where they leave stuff. Mine is two minutes from my  front door. I pick up 90% of deliveries there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2022 at 4:31 PM, farcego said:

Going back to the main topic of this thread, I want to share two recent online shoppings:

A lot of seafood from rainbowtomatoesgarden. A lot of anchovies from my very own county, some special stuff like cocochas from Hake (manufactered by schoolfriends), but also stuff I wanted to give a go like sturgeon. My experience with two shoppings is above my expectations. I attach also a picture with some labeling. I love that they state clearly with a label in any anchovy tin that it must be kept refrigerated, but also they put labels on the boxes outside, stating that there is seafood inside, and the labels are custom for each package. In the first, it show anchovies (main product of my cart), in the second, sturgeon (main product of the cart).

I will soon place a new order :)

Just wanted to add that I recently bought from them as well based off recommendations from BlueDolphin and BTByrd.    Simply the best experience I’ve had with a mail order vendor.   Prompt, friendly, informative and fairly priced.

I don’t tend to be effusive about vendors.   I will buy again from them ASAP

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Just wanted to add that I recently bought from them as well based off recommendations from BlueDolphin and BTByrd.    Simply the best experience I’ve had with a mail order vendor.   Prompt, friendly, informative and fairly priced.

I don’t tend to be effusive about vendors.   I will buy again from them ASAP

It is funny that in the first bought, I was prompted to say how I found the store. I stated I wasn't sure, but maybe I knew the store because it was mentioned in the canned sardines topic. Yes! it was a great experience, I think I already found my personal fish tin monger. I am finally going back to Spain in a couple of weeks but otherwise I would have been ordering more anchovies (and always more stuff, for minimizing mail post charges :D).

So here is my question for egullet'ers. Is there a good online retailer (preferably small, and close to DC, I live in Laurel, MD) with a good variety of cheese? specially blue and rinsed cheeses? You can help me stopping saving money while in the US ha-ha. I have no blue cheese available in a reasonable walking distance (1 hour), this is a no-no as it came second to anchovies for me.

Edited by farcego
as usual, typos (log)

1 hour ago, farcego said:

So here is my question for egullet'ers. Is there a good online retailer (preferably small, and close to DC, I live in Laurel, MD) with a good variety of cheese? specially blue and rinsed cheeses?

I think your best bet for high quality cheeses, delivered in good condition, will be one of these two...

Saxelby's...https://saxelbycheese.com/

Murray's...https://www.murrayscheese.com/

Tasty Travails - My Blog

4 hours ago, farcego said:

It is funny that in the first bought, I was prompted to say how I found the store. I stated I wasn't sure, but maybe I knew the store because it was mentioned in the canned sardines topic. Yes! it was a great experience, I think I already found my personal fish tin monger. I am finally going back to Spain in a couple of weeks but otherwise I would have been ordering more anchovies (and always more stuff, for minimizing mail post charges :D).

So here is my question for egullet'ers. Is there a good online retailer (preferably small, and close to DC, I live in Laurel, MD) with a good variety of cheese? specially blue and rinsed cheeses? You can help me stopping saving money while in the US ha-ha. I have no blue cheese available in a reasonable walking distance (1 hour), this is a no-no as it came second to anchovies for me.

As someone who usually walks for her cheese, I appreciate your situation.  However, not to doubt you, I find it hard to believe there is no quality blue cheese within an hour's walk, as long as you walk in the right direction.

But should I be wrong:  sign up for amazon* prime, and order from Whole Foods.  The cheese should be on your doorstep within two hours.  One hour if you pay extra.  They also offer Ortiz anchovies.

*admittedly amazon might not be considered a small retailer.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

16 hours ago, farcego said:

Mitch would really be the guy to ask.   I’m sure his suggestions are great.   Formaggio is a legendary cheese shop in Cambridge, MA.  I’ve been there a number of times.   Always super, but I’ve never mail ordered.    

I would add DiBruno’s House of Cheese in Philadelphia to the list.

I’m near DC as well and haven’t found a local vendor I like enough to recommend.