• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grocery Shopping

huiray

An online purchase of (mostly) fresh Thai ingredients arrived today. Happy kitchen.

1613227395_Thaiingredients.thumb.jpg.87b1d822154be436aa4043c088c8bf36.jpg

2109800893_chilies-kaffirlimeleaves.thumb.jpg.3ce1e5a9269a2f0a682784606a7d9a55.jpg

Dried chillies and kaffir lime leaves

limes.thumb.jpg.3863f5627951ced59f29ce0df7f7524b.jpg

Limes

galangal.thumb.jpg.2f1d380468ddd1ea1c2fb88e2ac67f1d.jpg

Galangal

lemongrass.thumb.jpg.1eba522b09d594845fb545297bbf0d02.jpg

Lemongrass

Cuttings of the lemongrass and galangal shall be planted out in hope of propagation.

• Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

An online purchase of (mostly) fresh Thai ingredients arrived today. Happy kitchen.

1613227395_Thaiingredients.thumb.jpg.87b1d822154be436aa4043c088c8bf36.jpg

2109800893_chilies-kaffirlimeleaves.thumb.jpg.3ce1e5a9269a2f0a682784606a7d9a55.jpg

Dried chillies and kaffir lime leaves

limes.thumb.jpg.3863f5627951ced59f29ce0df7f7524b.jpg

Limes

galangal.thumb.jpg.2f1d380468ddd1ea1c2fb88e2ac67f1d.jpg

Galangal

lemongrass.thumb.jpg.1eba522b09d594845fb545297bbf0d02.jpg

Lemongrass

Cuttings of the lemongrass and galangal shall be planted out in hope of propagation.

Are those lime leaves fresh or dried? If fresh, they don't look so good.  I've had the success propagating lemongrass by sticking the root end in water until it roots - you need to change out the water every day or so to make sure it doesn't get moldy.

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

Are those lime leaves fresh or dried? If fresh, they don't look so good.  I've had the success propagating lemongrass by sticking the root end in water until it roots - you need to change out the water every day or so to make sure it doesn't get moldy.

They and the chillies are dried.

Yes, I've propagated lemongrass many times in the past.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm a NewYorker, 25 years. if someone in 2018 said I will be ordering any produce on-line, I would say, did say, "you have two heads and I would rather eat glass".

Fast forward. Fall 2019. I tried Misfits and a local grass fed meat supplier, WaldenFoods. Just looking for local and an easy straight from warehouse, non-grocery traditional shopping. Grocery shopping was becoming difficult. Especially winter months. NYC has had FreshDirect for 15 years. Lock down covid, no-go. Every delivery was overwhelmed. 

Pre-covid we considered canceling both Misfits and Walden, but kept them. Good thing as both have been stellar in delivery. Especially Baldor that is wholesale to restaurants...they announced early lock-down, NYTimes, they would delivery to homes. They have been stellar in over-night delivery and great pricing. Though good pasta may be a case, lol. Ginger 5 pounds. But then did divide wholesale quantities eventually. 

Our Fairway, (only NYorkers know them), went bankrupt Fall 2019 and closed our local ten minutes away...third generation maybe got greedy. 20 years too late to go cross country....way behind WholeFoods. Sourcing pick-up, delivery,...thankful so many had this established pre-covid. 

Walden local NewEngland grass fed is once a month but we edit and have postponed for a few months so every three-4 months. Too much meat for us but the quality is good. Sausage is tender and not so fatty/salty. Pre-covid we made our own. One pound packages for two-three meals. Labels easily removed for sous-vide. January 2020 we considered canceling but they said to re-think that...then covid lock-down they had back-up reserve members like most. RanchoGordo has thousands waiting for the club membership. 

Direct from warehouse to the home might just be the future? Works for us and my neighbors....

My husband did the Thursday or Friday stop at WholeFoods or Fairway without complaint for ten years. Greens, eggs, weekend staples....hated it for so many reason we now do not suffer. Bags or a box at the door. If something sucks, it is refunded on-line. 

• Like 1

Just do a brain prep. Can you handle a produce delivery next week. I'm in an odd garden lull. Fruit trees not yet, berries not anymore, zucchini insane but who cares, leeks, potatoes, carrots a few weeks away....tomatoes always now. Easy gardening. I visit and pick. A box of hatch is an easy prep right now. Mid September would be nuts. 

On 8/26/2021 at 3:53 PM, Annie_H said:

I'm a NewYorker, 25 years. if someone in 2018 said I will be ordering any produce on-line, I would say, did say, "you have two heads and I would rather eat glass".

Fast forward. Fall 2019. I tried Misfits and a local grass fed meat supplier, WaldenFoods. Just looking for local and an easy straight from warehouse, non-grocery traditional shopping. Grocery shopping was becoming difficult. Especially winter months. NYC has had FreshDirect for 15 years. Lock down covid, no-go. Every delivery was overwhelmed. 

Pre-covid we considered canceling both Misfits and Walden, but kept them. Good thing as both have been stellar in delivery. Especially Baldor that is wholesale to restaurants...they announced early lock-down, NYTimes, they would delivery to homes. They have been stellar in over-night delivery and great pricing. Though good pasta may be a case, lol. Ginger 5 pounds. But then did divide wholesale quantities eventually. 

Our Fairway, (only NYorkers know them), went bankrupt Fall 2019 and closed our local ten minutes away...third generation maybe got greedy. 20 years too late to go cross country....way behind WholeFoods. Sourcing pick-up, delivery,...thankful so many had this established pre-covid. 

They have Fairways in NJ. They’re all closed or are closing. They’ve never really been exclusive to NYC. 

Also afaik the Union Square farmers market never really shut down. But I get avoiding it for safety reasons— I used to work around the corner and it was always a mad house. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

They have Fairways in NJ. They’re all closed or are closing. They’ve never really been exclusive to NYC. 

The NJ locations recently bought by Amazon. Fairway started expanding only a dozen years ago. And just the NY metropolitan area. Conn, LongIsland, NJ. Maybe a dozen locations? 15?. A shame. I miss it. 

To my intense surprise, while in the supermarket picking out the usual, I spotted these! First time ever in a Chinese supermarket.

sprouts.thumb.jpg.d179522736a7d0f17d3551a426806ef5.jpg

Brussels sprouts.

I have bought them online before at great expense, but never seen in a store or market. None of my friends know what they are.

Looks like civilisation is arriving!

By the way they are known in Chinese as '孢子甘蓝 (bāo zǐ gān lán) which translates as 'spore cabbage'.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

To my intense surprise, while in the supermarket picking out the usual, I spotted these! First time ever in a Chinese supermarket.

sprouts.thumb.jpg.d179522736a7d0f17d3551a426806ef5.jpg

Brussels sprouts.

I have bought them online before at great expense, but never seen in a store or market. None of my friends know what they are.

Looks like civilisation is arriving!

By the way they are known in Chinese as '孢子甘蓝 (bāo zǐ gān lán) which translates as 'spore cabbage'.

My favorite vegetable.   Ed eats them under slight duress.

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 1 month later...

Online shopping deliveries today. I've been planning to order this stuff for a while, but the weather has been too hot for months. It takes two to three days for deliveries to come from Shanghai and I didn't want fondue to arrive! This week it has cooled down a lot, so I took the tumble.

713525556_CheeseSelection.thumb.jpg.21c0f2bc318e121415380d4a3431a15f.jpg

From the top at 12 noon then going clockwise is goat's milk Chevroux from France;  real Parmigiano-Reggiano from Italy; Camembert from France; More Chevroux (I only ordered and paid for one, but two arrived. Do you hear me complaining?); and finally some Manchego from Spain (real Manchego from sheep's milk). There is some Irish cheddar on the way, too. Maybe that will arrrive tomorrow.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11

@liuzhou20211014_112120.thumb.jpg.e2e4a2bbb456a3447f9b5db4dff3d880.jpg20211014_112131.thumb.jpg.09ea373e1a01e481cfee3a0af6df71fa.jpg20211014_112138.thumb.jpg.88485d5b136e10e1b43f29628a8b7b1a.jpg

About a hundred meters from my house is a Chinese grocery store. Unfortunately it is not a store with Chinese products but a typical Tico grocery store owned by the Chinese. When I was in there the other day I was delighted to find that they had finally put in a section with some Chinese products. Mostly canned soft drinks and candies with a few condiments. Among these was this bottle of what is supposed to be according to the translation label that the Costa Rican government puts on, rice wine. Since their labels are often wrong, I thought that I would get your opinion on it. Is it really rice wine and is it any good at all.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

@liuzhou20211014_112120.thumb.jpg.e2e4a2bbb456a3447f9b5db4dff3d880.jpg20211014_112131.thumb.jpg.09ea373e1a01e481cfee3a0af6df71fa.jpg20211014_112138.thumb.jpg.88485d5b136e10e1b43f29628a8b7b1a.jpg

About a hundred meters from my house is a Chinese grocery store. Unfortunately it is not a store with Chinese products but a typical Tico grocery store owned by the Chinese. When I was in there the other day I was delighted to find that they had finally put in a section with some Chinese products. Mostly canned soft drinks and candies with a few condiments. Among these was this bottle of what is supposed to be according to the translation label that the Costa Rican government puts on, rice wine. Since their labels are often wrong, I thought that I would get your opinion on it. Is it really rice wine and is it any good at all.

It is labelled 米酒 - rice wine, yes, but I don't know the brand, sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
22 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Anyone but you and I would say no wonder you don't eat corn. So, that must not be corn. But what is it?

I'm going to assume you know what lettuce and tomatoes are. 😁

The DEFINITELY NOT C@RN  is a beautiful, if small, example of what round here we call 苦瓜 (kǔ guā) otherwise known as bitter melon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Yes, but not much. You know we love to chew on bones round here!

I think I would find myself wondering if I should reach for the chopsticks or a scalpel and some forceps. 

• Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I read that there is a worldwide shortage of Dijon mustard. It seems that Dijon is made in Dijon but the mustard doesn't have to be grown there and, in fact, mostly comes from Eastern Europe where the supply chain is distrupted for obvious reasons. Also, the climate has having its effect on harvests.

Fortunately, I knew where I could get some stocks to lay in. I bought both the traditional and wholegrain varieties. I don't use either that often, but when I do, it is essential.

mustard.thumb.jpg.e0552d7343590c2d302c8af152f2b80e.jpg

• Like 2