• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grocery Shopping

huiray

Well, that was a surprise!

If they are fresh enough you can do a spore print, which will help with identifying. Put the cap, gill side down, on a sheet of paper that ideally has both black and white areas. Put a glass over the cap and leave it for a couple of hours. If there is no print, put a drop of water on the cap and try again. The color and shape (you'll need a magnifier for that) will be a major part of identifying the critter. We've found that even the driest mushroom will sooner or later  drop a few spores. Note also the gills--do they attach directly to the stem or are they one of several other options? (From the photo I think they are not attached.) Are they single strands or do they branch? (Couldn't tell.) Is the cap sticky or dry? That will go a long way toward ID-ing it. I haven't investigated any resources on the internet--we use books--but I'm sure there are plenty of sites that will walk you through the process if you're interested.

I just realized that you probably have eaten them by now and that there's no way to do a spore print. Oh well-- Perhaps your friend from Shanghai will know at least the local name and maybe from that you can figure out the latin name.

How did they taste? To me there's nothing as good as a sauteed wild mushroom.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

Yes, I know how to take a spore print.

Unattached gills, single strands, dry cap.

The taste wasn't particularly distinctive - just generally mushroomy. Mild and not unpleasant, but not thrilling.This was my first time to cook them on their own. I usually do them with a mix of wild mushrooms, including the morels.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Late this afternoon I had planned my dinner and was about to place my Whole Foods Prime Now order.  No delivery available tonight.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Last week at our tianguis (open air market), I asked Denis (a Frenchman now living in Guadalajara) who makes and sells his own pate', quiche, duck confit at the market, if he could get me duck breasts as my local Mexican butcher has been unable to locate any.  

I got them today, two frozen together.  The price was 380 pesos per kilo.  At today's exchange rate, that would be $9 USD per pound which seems reasonable given it is considered a delicacy of sorts here.  

One of them my DH will make into duck prosciutto.  The other will meet the fry pan soon enough.  

magret.jpg

• Like 8

Tonight I needed to go to the pharmacy so I stopped at Shoprite for a couple things.  A girl cannot have too many limes.  And I was short on sour cream.  However grocery shopping after dark around here is ill advised.  Coming home I was almost run over twice, once by a police car in the parking lot.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Heh heh heh.   Once a group of friends and I rented a vacation house on Flathead Lake.  We loved our cocktails and went to Costco to buy their huge bags of limes.  We maintained that lol means lots o' limes!

We actually had to go back and buy another bag.

Incidentally, Costco does not sell alcohol in this state, we go to state-owned liquor stores.

• Like 3

Speaking of duck.  I stopped in at Costco Business yesterday during a break from a work thing.  They didn't have the "thing" I was looking for, but I did find this.  I didn't have a way to keep them frozen for the remaining hours away from home, but I will be returning to purchase, when I clear up a bit of freezer space......:S

IMG_7640.jpg

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Speaking of duck.  I stopped in at Costco Business yesterday during a break from a work thing.  They didn't have the "thing" I was looking for, but I did find this.  I didn't have a way to keep them frozen for the remaining hours away from home, but I will be returning to purchase, when I clear up a bit of freezer space......:S

IMG_7640.jpg

This makes me wish I had a Costco membership - and a Costco (or Costco Business Center) near where I live. Nice find!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 weeks later...

For shopping I had no energy.  Browsing Prime Now did not excite me.  But I needed limes.  One can endure most privations.  But not limes.  Besides, it was still a lovely afternoon and there is a Flood Watch in effect.

I girded my loins, my boots, my backpack and set off for Shoprite.  Shoprite had no limes.

• Sad 3

Yesterday at Shoprite I was told their delivery was coming in last night.  I woke up in withdrawal and hurried to Shoprite before work.  No limes.

I'm sure this is because of International Scurvy Awareness Day on 5/2.  Scurvy is a dreadful way to die.  Meanwhile I just placed an order with Amazon for ten limes, with delivery for tonight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I felt a little odd buying a gazillion lemons and limes this past week...I feel better knowing I wasn't the only one! Needed Key Limes for a ganache in the shop.   Lime zest for the raspberry-lime diplomat cream (filling for one of tomorrow's desserts.);  Lemons for my lemon meringue cheesecake; Lemon juice for the hollandaise sauce for tomorrow's pan roasted asparagus side.   The glorious thing about it all, was that the lemons were on sale 2/$1 for 1 day this week, and I hit the store on that day.  =) 

We're having 19 people for dinner tomorrow...so....needed ample desserts and sauce.  

• Like 3

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

15 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

In Shoprite's defense they did have one lorn bag of Key Limes on the shelf.  And lemons they had lots.

Hey, at least YOUR Shoprite had real Key Limes.  Mine didn't and had to make good with Nellie & Joe's key lime juice for John's drunken shrimp from Margaritaville.

• Sad 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

@chefmd

looks nice

looks like its still on the butchers counter

suprise.gif.75d713b731e1fcb3a5be01eeffe59ac3.gif

I on a list of things ld like to try at least once

is to dry age a big hunk of beef in my refrigerator for

a zillion days , w one of those semi-pemeable plastic bags that you Vac.

A high end store near me

has their own  dry age chamber that you can see

they then cut out the high end cuts and place them in the service butchers counter

I tried one item

I was not impressed , even though it was 28 day dry aged

then I realized , the meat they are aging is Choice , not Prime.

for me , and possibly only me 

I can do better w choice if I can see the marbling 

and maybe get the meat on sale

[ ed.:  " sale ' here means its a hurdle, that  limits item that are maybe not so good for R etc.  to be fair : if there were inside skirts easily available rotuts would 

cave in immediately ! ]

@chefmd

Id like to see what you do with that Tranch

that being said

maybe the Cognocenti 

or the serious Meat Eaters here

might chime in on

1 ) aged choice   the meat we might get easily   at times

2 ) aged Prime  far mo difficult to fined ?

still is how you cook it and provide for yourself and

your family and friends

cheers

4 hours ago, chefmd said:

@rotuts I cook my steak rare as previously posted in the dinner thread.  Tonight’s steak was happily consumed without being photographed 

C49572F3-BB5F-414E-9160-91E0E148AA83.thumb.jpeg.efb979d85a5c1aa1bb990ab398942d9f.jpeg

This week's amazon prime now delivery was again strip steak rather than the dry aged ribeye I ordered.  Amazon didn't charge me and they gave me a $10.00 credit on top of that.  I don't see how they make a profit.  It would seem so much easier to just send the ribeye I ordered.  They sent ribeye once, I know they can do it if they want to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1