• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grocery Shopping

huiray

I use fake crab.  always buy frozen.  the ' chunk ' stuff is better than the rolled-up finger I think

they might have several varieties of BokC.  my asian store does.

try the small ones that have white stems and very dark leaves.

Ive never seen the dark rise paper.  Ill have to remember to look.

is it thin like the white rice paper , that you moisten then use for roll up ?

nice haul.  

I wish my store had Duck Eggs.  quail eggs are too much work for me

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I use fake crab.  always buy frozen.  the ' chunk ' stuff is better than the rolled-up finger I think

they might have several varieties of BokC.  my asian store does.

try the small ones that have white stems and very dark leaves.

Ive never seen the dark rise paper.  Ill have to remember to look.

is it thin like the white rice paper , that you moisten then use for roll up ?

nice haul.  

I wish my store had Duck Eggs.  quail eggs are too much work for me

It's thin like that and it was in that section....so I think so?  But the microwave directions on the front are throwing me off lol.

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

It's thin like that and it was in that section....so I think so?  But the microwave directions on the front are throwing me off lol.

I break thm into several pieces and nuke. Don't go 2 minutes right off. Test after 30 seconds or so. They curl/cup and some spots get hotter than others. They are crispy like a rice cracker. The packaging is poorly worded - not really a wrapper like the thin rice papers.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Shelby said:

Journeyed into the Asian Market again yesterday.  As always, I found some new things to try :)--oh and an update on the dragon fruit from a few weeks ago.  Disappointing sigh.  I knew that people say they have little flavor and boy were they right.  It had the texture of a kiwi fruit (which I love)and it tasted like the weakest flavored cucumber ever.  Oh well.   At least I can say I've tried it.  Anyway...here is yesterday's haul:

Someone around here ....I think....or maybe it just looked like these....or maybe I dreamed it because I can't find the post now....but I thought it was @rarerollingobject ????  had some of these the other day.  I can't wait to try....although I don't really know what I'm doing (I know it says to microwave for 2 minutes and then eat--is that really the method?).  Google hopefully will help.

IMG_4351.jpg.9ea65929cab80b9d192628f42af18d55.jpg

Veggies.  Excellent cucumbers.  Wish I had bought a ton more.  And my first time to try baby bok choy.  I see @Anna N eat it occasionally and it always looks so good.

IMG_4352.JPG.d9203ebc0a6c8e4c64b936d9457d9ad5.JPG

Quail, noodles, wraps and fake crab.  Yes.  I like fake crab.

IMG_4353.JPG.1fdd9151a0b929af3d42c957afc8e1dd.JPG

Pork belly and chicken gizzards

IMG_4354.JPG.4f48a83acb3d1e304b49407d6b9d84a9.JPG

More noodles, tofu, shrimp in rice wraps, miso and some strainers to replace my sad, broken ones

IMG_4355.JPG.323f20e77e5e7fcb1a481ea87ff7ec3c.JPG

Yeah, I use them all the time! Microwave on one side for 50 seconds to a minute, flip it over and repeat. You'll see them puff up through the door and stop it if starts to sizzle.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:10 AM, Shelby said:

Journeyed into the Asian Market again yesterday.  As always, I found some new things to try :)--oh and an update on the dragon fruit from a few weeks ago.  Disappointing sigh.  I knew that people say they have little flavor and boy were they right.  It had the texture of a kiwi fruit (which I love)and it tasted like the weakest flavored cucumber ever.  Oh well.   At least I can say I've tried it.  Anyway...here is yesterday's haul:

Someone around here ....I think....or maybe it just looked like these....or maybe I dreamed it because I can't find the post now....but I thought it was @rarerollingobject ????  had some of these the other day.  I can't wait to try....although I don't really know what I'm doing (I know it says to microwave for 2 minutes and then eat--is that really the method?).  Google hopefully will help.

IMG_4351.jpg.9ea65929cab80b9d192628f42af18d55.jpg

Veggies.  Excellent cucumbers.  Wish I had bought a ton more.  And my first time to try baby bok choy.  I see @Anna N eat it occasionally and it always looks so good.

IMG_4352.JPG.d9203ebc0a6c8e4c64b936d9457d9ad5.JPG

Quail, noodles, wraps and fake crab.  Yes.  I like fake crab.

IMG_4353.JPG.1fdd9151a0b929af3d42c957afc8e1dd.JPG

Pork belly and chicken gizzards

IMG_4354.JPG.4f48a83acb3d1e304b49407d6b9d84a9.JPG

More noodles, tofu, shrimp in rice wraps, miso and some strainers to replace my sad, broken ones

IMG_4355.JPG.323f20e77e5e7fcb1a481ea87ff7ec3c.JPG

I don't see any kimchi in that haul.

HC

• Like 1

Had to embark on a fairly big shopping trip for the first time coming back from vacation.  We are not blessed with an incredible selection of grocery stores in this area, so I have to make do. 

Carrots

Green onions

Cabbage

Ginger root

Cucumbers

Zucchini

Yellow squash

Eggplant

Red potatoes - used up all the potatoes from last fall.

Yellow potatoes

Baked beans

Ranch dressing

Chicken breasts.  (I finally ran out of chicken breasts from all the meat birds I butchered last fall.)

Bread -  sliced loaves for kid lunches and morning toast.  Baguette for dinner.

Hot dog buns

Olive oil

Avocado oil

Butter....  wt# is up with the price of butter???!!!!

Ice cream

More ice cream:D

Grape Juice

White wine

Cameron's Intense French coffee

Walker's butter shortbreads

HWC

Vanilla creamer (for the kids. I hate that stuff.) 

Tortilla chips

Potato chips

Pretzels

Dips

Dog food

Milk bones

Vitamins

I know I'm forgetting things, but, that's a good start.

Notably absent from the list are things like canned soup, PB, lunch snacks, household items, etc.  I order things like that from Boxed.com when I've got coupons.  Most of the time, prices are well below our retailers, and they ship it to your door for free.  I do not have the warm-fuzzies for Walmart, especially after Wednesday's shopping trip, so I am happy to shop online for what I'd otherwise have bought there.  

• Like 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

27 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

= Hazardous Waste Container?

= History of Western Civilization?

= Heavy Whipping Cream?

= Handle With Care?

?

The third one, I'll bet. It's an abbreviation often associated with a ketogenic diet -- sort of like EVOO, but less well known.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing TV ads for Just Crack an Egg  for months, the product finally arrived at my nearby store.

I love scrambled eggs for breakfast but don’t usually have any add-ins pre-prepared.

This item has solved my problem.  I made the All American Scramble variety this morning and it was really good, I’ve no complaints at all.

I mixed the ingredients plus two eggs in my Corningware microwave skillet and cooked, sired and cooked and stirred for a total of about two minutes total and the result was a very tasty breakfast.  So easy and quick!

My apologies if this item is not available in Canada.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, lindag said:

After seeing TV ads for Just Crack an Egg  for months, the product finally arrived at my nearby store.

I love scrambled eggs for breakfast but don’t usually have any add-ins pre-prepared.

This item has solved my problem.  I made the All American Scramble variety this morning and it was really good, I’ve no complaints at all.

I mixed the ingredients plus two eggs in my Corningware microwave skillet and cooked, sired and cooked and stirred for a total of about two minutes total and the result was a very tasty breakfast.  So easy and quick!

My apologies if this item is not available in Canada.

I am certain it will be available because it is being advertised on  Canadian TV. I have looked for it because I simply want to try it but so far I’ve come up empty-handed.  Perhaps I’m looking in the wrong stores or I’m looking in the wrong places in the stores. According to the ad that I saw the suggestion was that it would be found next to the fresh eggs.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N

keep looking

interested in your eventual views.

Im a bit sad , 

but not so much 

as Ive studied today's 

MR

sad ?

green bells   ?

#P(%$*^#)($%^@#)(%$^@_#%

and no crispy Scrapple ?

well

there it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

One of the joys of living in the boonies is that most everything is trucked in from somewhere state, usually Washington.

Went to my nearby grocery the other day wanting Yakisoba Noodles here.

Well the store gets their deliveries every other week and none were in the shipment, according to the meat manager.

So I had to make my stir fry with sticky rice even though I REALLY wanted those Yakisoba noodles (they're very, very good.)

I'm told there should be some in the next shipment arriving this coming Thursday night.  So I will try again.  The rice was good but not as good as the noodles.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Placed my first 'free-two-day-delivery' order with Walmart yesterday.  I had made a list for the same items on Amazon and not only were some of the WM items cheaper there were also some items that Amazon didn't have in stock.  I use unsweetened iced tea K-cups a lot in the warmer months and they're not always available in local stores and Amazon didn't have any either.

I'll still use Amazon but it's good to have another alternative  

This afternoon a friend came and took me to McCaffrey's, the market down in Princeton that @chefmd shared about above.  It's the first time I'd been to McCaffrey's since then.  Plus it was "senior day", five percent off, as well as the usual card discounts and such.  McCaffrey's has nice stuff* but I didn't overdo it.

One thing new since my trip with @chefmd -- they are now purveying wine and alcohol!  I had thought it was illegal in New Jersey to sell alcoholic beverages in grocery stores.  Maybe the law has changed?

*duck legs, @Anna N, no problem.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This afternoon a friend came and took me to McCaffrey's, the market down in Princeton that @chefmd shared about above.  It's the first time I'd been to McCaffrey's since then.  Plus it was "senior day", five percent off, as well as the usual card discounts and such.  McCaffrey's has nice stuff* but I didn't overdo it.

One thing new since my trip with @chefmd -- they are now purveying wine and alcohol!  I had thought it was illegal in New Jersey to sell alcoholic beverages in grocery stores.  Maybe the law has changed?

*duck legs, @Anna N, no problem.

I wish we lived close to each other.  What fun it was going grocery shopping with like minded person!  May be I can meet Northern VA people at chocolate workshop this weekend.

18 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It is but if there is a "separate" entrance it's allowed.   Several of the Shoprites up here have a gated entrance once you get into the supermarket so it is separated from the store itself.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

It is but if there is a "separate" entrance it's allowed.   Several of the Shoprites up here have a gated entrance once you get into the supermarket so it is separated from the store itself.

This was wine (and I think I saw vodka) on display all over the store.  From years ago I remember a Shoprite I used to frequent sold alcohol from a separate entrance.  I most remember Ortlieb's beer at 35 cents a quart.

21 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

...One thing new since my trip with @chefmd -- they are now purveying wine and alcohol!  I had thought it was illegal in New Jersey to sell alcoholic beverages in grocery stores.  Maybe the law has changed?

It's not illegal across the whole state (individual towns and cities have amazing flexibility in setting their own ordinances) but statewide, corporations are still limited to two retail liquor licenses so it's usually not practical for a grocery chain to offer liquor sales.

Well I am overjoyed! Found out that Meijer's signed a letter of intent to purchase some acreage up here, so inside of 18-24 months, we should have a new grocery store, and Walmart will FINALLY have some competition.   And, boy do they need some competition!  They've been gradually increasing prices beyond what our locally owned stores charge for same/similar items.  Reading on another thread, someone was purchasing Great Value heavy whipping cream for around  $3.14 at their Walmart.  Same stuff here is $4.28.  With as much as I use making ganache, (and in coffee, desserts)- I was upset to see that price difference.  I know there is some fluctuation based on location, but that seems a little ridiculous.   Boxed.com is still my go-to delivery store for the non-perishables, and their in-house brand, Prince and Spring isn't too bad!  In fact, their coconut oil is fabulous and was a terrific price.  They now have a rewards program where one can earn points that translate later into dollars. You can build them up and apply them whenever you choose.    

Still no Aldi's and no Trader Joe's nearby.  But at this point, I am happy just knowing we have another option coming. 

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

10 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

It's not illegal across the whole state (individual towns and cities have amazing flexibility in setting their own ordinances) but statewide, corporations are still limited to two retail liquor licenses so it's usually not practical for a grocery chain to offer liquor sales.

Byzantine.

Still I must believe something has changed.  In my about to be seventy years experience with New Jersey markets I have never seen alcohol purveyed next to groceries before, ever.  Except once.  That was at a small Greek market attached to a Greek restaurant.

16 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This was wine (and I think I saw vodka) on display all over the store.  From years ago I remember a Shoprite I used to frequent sold alcohol from a separate entrance.  I most remember Ortlieb's beer at 35 cents a quart.

Kings does the same-has it displayed. It it’s a separate purchase in a small area in store to purchase alcohol. You can’t put any booze in with your groceries. 

Alsi the old A&P in Morristown which is now a Whole Foods sold beer and wine (I never noticed liquor as it didn’t interest me then) in the store that you’d be able to purchase with your groceries. I am not an A&P fan but when you’re a college student and you’re parents will give you a credit card to buy groceries... 

This was at least 18 years ago. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 2

its new in MA for grocery stores to sell wine and beer

its a town thing , not a state law.

Tj's one town over sells wine and beer , and has for some time.

some towns are ' dry '  which makes no sense to me , as there are always liquor stores at the TownLine.

indeed , in my town , on the line , is TownLine liquors .  why the towns are willing to give up tax revenue is hard to understand

money-mouth.gif.84caed5aec21915dad9801242ff2b723.gif

one Tj's , in Brookline , I believe also sells liquor.

it a pain to get here and part.   Iv always wondered on their prices.