• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grocery Shopping

huiray

BRFM:  Savoy cabbage, fennel bulb, baby "orange" carrots (new crop), small broccoli florets, teeny heads of white cauliflower (~3" diameter), old Poona Kheera cucumbers, bicolor corn, standard tomatoes, small long Japanese eggplants.

CFM:  Straight-from-the-ground young ginger (finally!!), green zucchini.

DSCN2768a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

Asia Mart:  Yellow-skin chicken, Jinhua ham (金華火腿), shrimp & pork wontons w/ XO sauce [Prime Food], abalone-chicken noodles [sau Tao], kkakdugi (cubed daikon kimchi), soft tofu, scallions, fresh skinny wonton noodles, kai-lan, corn oil.

• 2 weeks later...

BRFM:  Maitake mushroom (half of a large frond), red carrots, young daikon, loose baby spinach, bundled spinach leaves, small broccoli florets, tomatoes.

Goose the MarketMerguez sausages, Dodge City salami, Taleggio (Ciresa) cheese, Shagbark Oatmeal cookie (from H2O Sushi).

The Fresh Market:  Wild American (Georgia) shrimp, large croissants.

DSCN2854a_800.jpg

DSCN2861a_800.jpg

• Like 1

Huiray, those red carrots are just lovely...do they fade in color when cooked? I'd imagine them to be on the sweeter side when raw?

Yes and yes. The red color is concentrated in the skin/surface layers.  It's a great pity about the color fading/bleaching.  (It also leaches a little into soup/stock - and then fades)

Fri-Sat groceries.

Om India Plaza:

Basmati rice (Zebra), basmati rice (Tilda), cinnamon sticks (Indonesian), dried kokum (lowanala), yellow mustard seeds, black mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, jaggery powder, small mottled-color round squash, white turmeric - fresh, curry leaves (karuveppillai), roasted vermicelli (dry goods, package), Punjabi-style potato samosas (frozen) [Mezban].

Saraga International Market:

Shan Wai Shan High Mountain Oolong tea, beef short ribs, head-on shrimp, Top Neck clams, green onions (scallions), cilantro, mini-cucumbers (Persian), Chinese long beans.

Broad Ripple Farmers' Market:

Lion's Mane mushroom (1 head), celeriac, red turnips w/ greens, 3 sweet peppers, fennel bulb, large head of broccoli, green beans, Red Thumb fingerlings, tomatoes, large onions (2 red, 3 yellow), eggs.

Claus' German Sausage & Meats:

Pressed tongue, Westphalian ham, short-tied Knackwurst, coarse Braunschweiger.

Amelia's Bakery/Bluebeard:

Semolina bread.

Edited by huiray (log)

Broad Ripple Farmers' Market:  Maitake mushrooms, broccoli rabe (they're beautiful!), red carrots (stocking up), green beans, red-green hot chillies.

Goose the Market:  Tuna belly (at a fantastic price), duck livers (not foie gras), guanciale, a chunk of Parmigiano Reggiano.

• 4 weeks later...

Time for a kick-up of the thread.

Grocery shopping 2014-1122

Indy Winter Farmers’ Market:

Winter spinach (nice & stout & thick-leaved)

Fresh shiitake mushrooms (Japanese-type fairly thin-cap type)

Red-skinned, deep orange-red, yellow/green shouldered carrots (stocked up)

Teeny broccoli florets/heads

Claus’ German Sausage & Meats:

Fresh calf liver slices

Smoked pork hock (bone-in)

Coarse Braunschweiger

Pressed tongue

Bauernschinken (Farmer’s Ham)

Weisswurst

Grillwurst

Asia Mart:

Whole beef shanks/shins, sliced pork belly, frozen stewing chicken, duck wings, Kimlan aged soy sauce, Lee Kum Kee double fermented soy sauce, preserved plums in brine (bottled), Lingham’s Extra Hot Sauce, canned young baby corn, sweet & sour pickled green peppercorns, fried shallots, fresh lotus roots, Opo squash, bitter melons, lettuce stems (celtuce), Vietnamese coriander, long hot green chillies, mung bean sprouts, scallions (6 bunches), Persian cucumbers, garlic, Prime Food Shrimp & Pork Hong Kong style frozen wontons, Prime Food Shanghai style Chinese spinach & pork wontons, rice shrimp rolls, dried Chinese mushrooms (small “tea flower mushrooms” type), Paldo “Fried Kimchi Instant Noodles” pack.

Edited by huiray (log)

Indy Farmers' Market:  Yellow/green-shouldered carrots, pastured eggs, lacinato kale, fennel bulbs.

Goose the Market:  A chunk of foie gras; a couple of duck leg quarters; chunks of Parmigiano Reggiano, Old Kentucky Tomme, Gilead [a new one from Kokoborrego] cheeses; crusty baguette.

Saturday 2014-1206

Indy Winter Farmers' Market:

Cardoon stems, leafy celery, French breakfast radishes, baby kale, red & yellow & orange heirloom beets, tomatoes (stored from the last fall crop from a farmer I trust), Greek Cristopsomo bread.

Goose the Market: 

Medjool dates, house-produced hot Capicola, Finocchiona, Benton Kentucky Farmer's Ham, freshly ground beef chuck (I watched then cut up really nice looking slabs of chuck and feed them into the grinder).

The Fresh Market:

Linguine & penne [both Rustichella d'Abruzzo], lumachine [Garofalo].

• 1 month later...

Panaderia Canadiense,

ALL of it makes me very jealous of your access to inexpensive, very good produce!

I have also relished your posts about your local fish markets. If you think of it, the next time you go for your local fish, I'm quite sure I'm not the only one on the board who'd appreciate a post about it.

For that matter, I also adore your sugar sculpture creations for cake decorations, etc. Dragons and sheep, oh my.

I know you are busy, but please come back and share with us OFTEN.

> ^ . . ^ <

Panaderia Canadiense, thanks for adding to this thread.  Your purchases look nice.  It is interesting to see the differences in the cost (and availability) between various ingredients in different parts of the world.

I had a "shopping trip" at my local Asia Mart which turned into a major affair (don't it seem like one walks into a place intending to pick up just a few thing and a while later it is anything but...) which may or may not be interesting to folks here, given their (non)-responses to previous postings.

Edited by huiray (log)

Panaderia Canadiense,

ALL of it makes me very jealous of your access to inexpensive, very good produce!

I have also relished your posts about your local fish markets. If you think of it, the next time you go for your local fish, I'm quite sure I'm not the only one on the board who'd appreciate a post about it.

For that matter, I also adore your sugar sculpture creations for cake decorations, etc. Dragons and sheep, oh my.

I know you are busy, but please come back and share with us OFTEN.

Thanks, Crepes!  They've recently reopened the front portion of my favourite fish market, which burned down around this time last year; I was planning to make a trip if not this weekend (which is Carnaval and therefore extremely busy for me) then next.  I've been craving good fish, and frozen just doesn't cut it.  I will of course post back here when I do, and also to the Eating the Fishery thread if I find something new - which is almost guaranteed, since the waters here are bountiful.

• Like 1

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Panaderia Canadiense, thanks for adding to this thread.  Your purchases look nice.  It is interesting to see the differences in the cost (and availability) between various ingredients in different parts of the world.

I had a "shopping trip" at my local Asia Mart which turned into a major affair (don't it seem like one walks into a place intending to pick up just a few thing and a while later it is anything but...) which may or may not be interesting to folks here, given their (non)-responses to previous postings.

Don't I know the phenomenon of going on for one or two things and coming out with 3 or 4 bags! :-D FWIW I too think it's interesting to see what people buy. Your purchases are interesting and, as always, beautifully photographed...I'm usually mostly amazed at the variety, given my lack of access to anything like an Asian market.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 weeks later...

A slightly bigger week at the market this time.  Not pictured are the specialty flours (quinua, amaranth, 000 milled whole wheat), shredded coconut, yeast, and other bakery supplies.

Groceries22Feb.png

• Like 2

A slightly bigger week at the market this time.  Not pictured are the specialty flours (quinua, amaranth, 000 milled whole wheat), shredded coconut, yeast, and other bakery supplies.

attachicon.gifGroceries22Feb.png

Wow, your limes doubled in price since last time.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Various things, Huiray - the front portion of the building had some of its roof supports replaced, was re-roofed, and has been reopened to the public.  The back half of the market is being completely rebuilt.  This means that my fishmongers will be a more frequent addition to this and the Fishery thread.

Just, not during Lent.  The price of fish almost triples for 40 days in my city, because it's customary to give up meat.

• Like 1

Oh man, I miss cheap starfruit/carambola. Around here, when I see them, they're $3 for one! And they're usually overly ripened and getting brown around the edges. 50c for 15 would be a dream. I used to sit by the tv with a giant pile of starfruit as a kid and polish them off one by one.

PS: I am a guy.