• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

16 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Byzantine.

Still I must believe something has changed.  In my about to be seventy years experience with New Jersey markets I have never seen alcohol purveyed next to groceries before, ever.  Except once.  That was at a small Greek market attached to a Greek restaurant.

Do report back when you find out what has changed. 

There is a bill in the NJ Assembly (A1278) and Senate (S2282) to allow the # of retail liquor licenses held by an individual or corporation to increase from 2 (the current level) to 10, gradually over ten years.  

I believe those bills are both still in committee.

I find the wide range of state liquor laws amazing.  New York State also forbids wine and liquor sales in grocery stores and restricts the # of retail liquor licenses to one per individual or corporation, so no sales by chains either.  It also forbids retail liquor stores from selling anything besides liquor and wine (food, cigarettes, etc.) except for a few specified items like ice, corkscrews, wine publications, etc.

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

one Tj's , in Brookline , I believe also sells liquor.

it a pain to get here and part.   Iv always wondered on their prices.

I can't speak to your local situation, @rotuts,  but liquor prices at my TJ's, by and large, are generally within a dollar or two (up or down) of the prices at Total Wine.  They do have some of their own labels and sometimes get in a name brand product that is quite a good deal but those things come and go and can't be relied on.  

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

15 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Byzantine.

Still I must believe something has changed.  In my about to be seventy years experience with New Jersey markets I have never seen alcohol purveyed next to groceries before, ever.  Except once.  That was at a small Greek market attached to a Greek restaurant.

Do report back when you find out what has changed. 

There is a bill in the NJ Assembly (A1278) and Senate (S2282) to allow the # of retail liquor licenses held by an individual or corporation to increase from 2 (the current level) to 10, gradually over ten years.  

I believe those bills are both still in committee.

I find the wide range of state liquor laws amazing.  New York State also forbids wine and liquor sales in grocery stores and restricts the # of retail liquor licenses to one per individual or corporation, so no sales by chains either.  It also forbids retail liquor stores from selling anything besides liquor and wine (food, cigarettes, etc.) except for a few specified items like ice, corkscrews, wine publications, etc.