• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Sainsaire $199 Sous Vide circulator on Kickstarter

Brainfoodie

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

I've been lurking here for a while. First time posting. I just received my Sansaire in the mail, so I'll be cooking up something for Valentine's Day tonight. I don't go as in-depth with the scientific analysis of things, but I'll be happy to report my general experiences after I've used it a few times. If anybody has any questions (again, probably better in the general sense), I'll do my best to answer them here.

The Sansaire is replacing a Sous Vide Supreme, and most of my sous vide stuff gets sealed with a FoodSaver V3835

• Like 2

How did the Sansaire do for you Andrew?

I've only been able to use it twice so far, but it went swimmingly both times.

I used it in a 12 qt. Cambro for salmon and chicken. I actually underestimated the size of the Sansaire, which I think people have mentioned has the largest footprint in its class. I tried to set it up in a Le Creuset 9qt dutch oven, but in a container that size, there is barely enough space for the food.

Relative to the Sous Vide Supreme, the Sansaire heated the water much more quickly. Not necessarily an apples-to-apples comparison, as I was able to use less water w/ the Sansaire. I imagine the circulation of the water helps the heating speed. The strength of the water circulator is quite strong, and in the cambro container, the pressure is being blasted straight into the food. I don't know if that will have any effect on the result.

Moving from the SVS, ease of use in the controls, ease of use in its portability, speed, and better accuracy all leave me as a happy camper. I've only used it for short lengths. Over the weekend, I'll use the Sansaire in a 48-hour cook and report back.

• Like 1

For long unattended cooks I plug into a USB power supply in case of a temporary power failure. I don't think any of these devices have an auto restart after a power interruption

SousVide Supreme does restart, remembers the target temperature, and continues cooking.

I've read Anova has added it also as a configurable option.

Other units I have or know about do not restart.

I`ve asked several makers, food safety is always claimed as the reason for not restarting: you may not be aware how long the power interruption lasted, and depending on tne temperature drop safety may be compromised.

I do not like it neither. I want that the power outage is shown somehow in the unit (by lighting a led or something) and then be me who decides whether to throw away the food or not.

And that's why I always use my SVS Demi for long cooking times, and reserve my SWID and eiPot for other dishes.

For long unattended cooks I plug into a USB power supply in case of a temporary power failure. I don't think any of these devices have an auto restart after a power interruption

SousVide Supreme does restart, remembers the target temperature, and continues cooking.

I've read Anova has added it also as a configurable option.

Other units I have or know about do not restart.

I have not tested this but the Nomiku manual says that it will resume after a power outage, remember the set point and display an icon on the screen to alert you know of the interruption.

Can you adjust the direction of the water stream? If so, pointing it back towards the container helps prevent the blasting.

The direction is opposite the location of the clip, so you can't really adjust the direction per se, but I think I will move the Sansaire to the corner of the container, and place the food to the side.

In a round pot, it's a bit unavoidable, unless you don't use the clip (which I think is a bad idea).

I`ve asked several makers, food safety is always claimed as the reason for not restarting: you may not be aware how long the power interruption lasted, and depending on tne temperature drop safety may be compromised.

I do not like it neither. I want that the power outage is shown somehow in the unit (by lighting a led or something) and then be me who decides whether to throw away the food or not.

And that's why I always use my SVS Demi for long cooking times, and reserve my SWID and eiPot for other dishes.

Good reason to use a back up power supply just in case

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only person who has difficulty removing the clip and closing the hatch after opening it for cleaning? I tried with my new Sansaire and was unable to do it; An engineer friend spent an hour trying to put back the hatch.  The posted video was no help at all, it made it look easy, which it surely was not.  This problem was never mentioned in the videos that made me support Sansaire on Kickstarter.  Had I known how difficult this was, I would never have signed up for it. Wish I could return it.  (I wonder if Anova has a similar unmentioned problem.)  I'm upset and disappointed.

Mine works fine.  And I'm quite happy with it so far.  No issues with the back panel at all.

And what have you been doing with it that requires cleaning it?  A week of heating water, unless you have a well that doubles as a mineral spring, isn't going to gunk up your coils with minerals.

If you really hate yours, you have options: 1) complain to them and get another one if the back panel problem is really a mfg defect; 2) ebay it and make it somebody else's problem if you don't feel like keeping it.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I didn't need to clean it, I just wanted to see how to clean it, and discovered to my surprise and distress that re-assembling it was (for me) near impossible.  I don't know if this was a manufacturing defect, but it surely is a design defect, and one that was never hinted at in those tempting Kickstarter videos.  I didn't really mind waiting five months for it, but I do mind about this.

I had the same problem with clipping back on the rear assembly. It took me a while. Then I worked it out.

I have the unit at home but from memory there was on both sides a place to first put in the assembly near some screws I think. I'll have a look when I get home and post a photo. Once you have the unit sitting properly it will slide in place easily.

Have a closer look and I'll post something for future reference.

Btw, loving my sansaire. With my polyscience pro. Having a bath for veg and protein

Or 72 hour cook and for dinners it is great. Having 2 baths is fantastic. Now all I can think about is how much I need a third. Perhaps for custards and desserts. I mean really how many water baths is too many.

Did I get it right? If the sansaire loses power it will not continue when the power comes back on?

(I wonder if Anova has a similar unmentioned problem.)  I'm upset and disappointed.

It does not, in that regard... it comes apart and goes back together quite easily.

i rinse it and dry it (taken apart) after each use)

Right e o then. I've got two photos here to help.

The cover that comes of has two clips a plastic one and a metal one.

Hover the cover over the back perpendicular to machine. The metal clip will drop into the recess between the grill and metal clip recess (in the photo with the screw.)

Then the cover slides back up the unit do up the sliding lock. And voila,

Once you get it it's fine and you'll be able to do it from that point on without a trouble.

If the clips won't fit you need to look at adjusting perhaps. I don't know. But that could be your problem. Hope that helps.

Vol.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393929080.957524.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393929093.898260.jpg

The main problem with the back is that we think we know what it should look like after it is assembled, but I was wrong.  The bottom of the back plate is NOT flush with the bottom of the front, and the circular metal disc at the bottom should sit at an angle, it is not perfectly horizontal.  I have a picture that should show what I mean.  The combination of the non horizontal metal disk, and the spaces created (between your pot and your Sansaire) by the non-flush bottom pieces is part of the design, to increase water flow.  I hope this helps.

IMG_20140309_124434_zpse323c464.jpg

• 4 weeks later...