• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Sainsaire $199 Sous Vide circulator on Kickstarter

Brainfoodie

@rotuts: A beer cooler would not be possible with this clamp. It turns out to be very difficult to design a clamp for all containers :/

However, it is detachable so you could fashion a custom clip out of a metal coat hanger or some sheet metal to fit your container. It will fit around the same axis as the current clamp. In the future we will look for better solutions.

It should a very easy and simple mod.

Get a hose clamp from Home Depot ($2.00?) and bend a piece of metal to an upside down "U" shape, clamp it on and you are in business.

dcarch

That would probably do it. But, if there were a cylindrical section designed into the body (which it appears not to have) one could go all fancy-like and use a shaft collar for clamping, welded to an extra-large stainless steel clip.

After doing a lot of SV gear research, I decided to back this on Kickstarter instead of buying an existing solution, or making something myself. Like others I do not see the touchscreen of the Anova as a good feature. I want my SV appliance to be as simple as possible. I also don't want a rat's nest of wires, which is one of the reasons I decided to get an all-in-one immersion device like the Sainsaire instead of something like the SV Magic or Auber where you have several components to deal with.

I am looking forward to getting the Sainsaire and I hope things stay on schedule.

I have backed this on Kickstarter due to all the above reasons and very reasonable shipping rates to send outside the US.

I did have some questions about using large pots and what techniques the Sainsaire team used to reduce evaporation over longer cooking times or at higher temps as the pot lid would not fit around their device.

The reponses from Sainsaire have been really fast. Scott responded and said that for the average home cooking scenario with lower cooking temperatures and shorter cooking times e.g under 70C and less than three hours, evaporation has not proved to be an issue. For longer cooking times and at higher temperatures, he reccomended either a layer of ping pong balls or layer of cling film.

I am really looking forward to getting my unit and finally being able to attempt some Sous Vide cooking

• 1 month later...

Anticipated release date: November 18, 2013.

Current draft of the Sansaire user manual.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 3 weeks later...

They have been responsive on the comments page at kickstarter. Perhaps a note posted there that says "Yo! I've been waiting a week for you to read your email and get back to me about my order..." would spur some response.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I did get a reply today and am reassured that my order is in their database, but the web site still does not recognize my email address.

Hopefully this will be resolved so that I can access my account.

Shelly

My cookbook, Feeding Alice: A Love Story is available at www.shellyskitchenpress.com

• 3 weeks later...

All too true. Better to wait for a well engineered product than to be beta testers. I am still looking forward to getting mine whenever it arrives. (Just crossing my fingers that it is not subject to Nomiku type delays.)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I had the Sansaire ordered, and canceled upon news of this latest pushback. I guess these things are to be expected, but I planned to use mine for the holiday season. I went with the Anova.

I have to admit, though I understand the need for a delay, and I understand the idea that this should be "expected," I am still a little annoyed at the way Sansaire is conducting business. When a company gives you an expected ship date of November 18th, they should inform you of a two month delay well before November 17th. The fact that the delay wasn't even emailed to those of us who pre-ordered, but instead posted on their blog the day before the announced ship date made the switch to Anova much easier.

The fact that the delay wasn't even emailed to those of us who pre-ordered, but instead posted on their blog the day before the announced ship date made the switch to Anova much easier.

I received an emailing explaining the delay. Perhaps you opted out of updates on kickstarter?

I also have the Anova, but I'm thinking/hoping the Sansaire is going to be a more stable product. I don't see any certification stickers on the Anova, so I'm doubting they went through as thorough a process as Sansaire seems to be doing.

I've only had the Anova for about a week. It works well enough, but it's a bit quirky (touch screen is finicky, random reboots, etc.).

The fact that the delay wasn't even emailed to those of us who pre-ordered, but instead posted on their blog the day before the announced ship date made the switch to Anova much easier.

I received an emailing explaining the delay. Perhaps you opted out of updates on kickstarter?

I also have the Anova, but I'm thinking/hoping the Sansaire is going to be a more stable product. I don't see any certification stickers on the Anova, so I'm doubting they went through as thorough a process as Sansaire seems to be doing.

I've only had the Anova for about a week. It works well enough, but it's a bit quirky (touch screen is finicky, random reboots, etc.).

I pre-ordered it on their website, but wasn't part of the Kickstarter crowd. I just rechecked my e-mail and my spam folders but didn't receive anything. I know I wasn't an early adopter like those on Kickstarter, but I would hope I am still deserving of an e-mail! It may have been a simple oversight, but it's still disappointing to have to go looking for myself to be let down.

Random reboots? Is that a common problem on the Anova? That indicates a massive food safety issue. I've been looking through the Anova thread and haven't come across that yet. That's a little unnerving!

Edited by Morkai (log)

The reboot thing only happened once. Well, twice in a row. It came up to temperature, then shut down and restarted. Then shut down again and restarted. I pressed start and it began circulating again. It hasn't happened again in the 4 or 5 hours it's run since then. I have no idea what caused it. Perhaps it was just the power cord wasn't in tight or something. I'll post back if I see it again.

I found the power cord of the Anova to be quite stiff so if it's sitting at the wrong angle in relation to the appliance it can get a bit tight and awkward to work with. As it's just a common 3 prong computer power cable I may just replace it with a thinner gauge more pliable one I have lying around. Hopefully with yours it's simply a loose connection causing the reset and nothing more.

Ah - the turning off thing - happened when I lit my gas stove. I guess my kitchen GFI was too sensitive to power fluctuations. Plugging the Anova in to a power bar solved that problem.

For long unattended cooks I plug into a USB power supply in case of a temporary power failure. I don't think any of these devices have an auto restart after a power interruption

Should that be UPS (= Uninterruptible Power Supply)?

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Well, I'm not happy with the delay, but I am going to stick it out. I like the design of the Sansaire better than the Anova... I don't care for the touch screen, plus the Sansaire guy is a friend of a friend.

Fortunately I didn't promise anyone SV for Thanksgiving!