• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cook-Off 63: Summer Squash

David Ross

Have you tried stuffing them with crab? That's my personal favorite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I've done three new to us dishes with squash this last week.  As Heidi mentioned, I did a squash carpaccio --yellow squash, basil, sea salt, lemon juice, olive oil, pine nuts and shaved parm. cheese

thumbnail_IMG_7947.jpg.d83ce0ab18fd01d1d55e30e07f228905.jpg

Flatbread with yellow squash--dough baked with a basil pesto and mozz. cheese then lay the squash on the warm crust along with prosciutto and red pepper flakes

thumbnail_IMG_7946.jpg.558b25c525a07df6cb00ee270dd4b8d0.jpg

And last night I did a casserole.  Cook down a chopped onion and about 3-4 yellow squash along with some salt until tender.  Drain, add some butter, pepper and more salt.  Mash with a potato masher.  Add a cup of sour cream and a can of cream of chicken soup.  Stir in two cups of stuffing mix.  Pour into dish sprayed with non stick spray.  Sprinkle one more cup of stuffing mix on the top and then sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.  Bake at 350F for about 30 mins.  You could do up old socks like this and it would still taste good lol.

Casserole on the plate at 6:00

thumbnail_IMG_7951.jpg.4ad56e6f746bb7caa97d6ac85063384a.jpg

• Like 5

Creamed pattipan (or any summer squash) is a decent side dish.   Grate and drain squashes.    Mix some flour into sour cream.    Saute grated squash until cooked through, then add sour cream and a hefty amount of dry or fresh dill.    Cook until all is slightly thickened.

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

When I lived in NM in the sixties and seventies you couldn't go to a potluck without tripping over a zucchini casserole. These days, once a summer, when yellow squash looks good at the farmers' market, I might do the following: saute onion or shallot in butter, add lots of minced garlic. Then add sliced summer squash, cilantro, roasted green chiles, cherry tomatoes, whole or halved, salt and pepper and coat briefly. Transfer to a casserole dish. Bake for 35 or 35 minutes. Remove and switch oven to broil. Top with grated cheese like Oaxaca, broil until melted. Very forgiving,  Fresh corn on the cob is a perfect side. 

With zucchini I most likely will make some kind of fritters. Zucchini and Kohlrabi grated together makes a pretty good fritter along with the usual suspects, eggs and flour and lots of chives or fresh dill. I admit I don't go out of my way to buy summer squash. And I don't have gardening friends nowadays. See @Margaret Pilgrim's confession upthread. So much packed into one little sentence!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Love zucchini bread, as I do it's cousin, zucchini cake!

Slightly off topic, but I am curious if anyone has had issues with their squash/zucchini plants this year - all of a sudden all of mine (different varietals) within the span of 2 weeks, went form vigorous large plants to wilted and dead. 

Zucrona Virus!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Slightly off topic, but I am curious if anyone has had issues with their squash/zucchini plants this year - all of a sudden all of mine (different varietals) within the span of 2 weeks, went form vigorous large plants to wilted and dead. 

Zucrona Virus!?

Check the gardening topic or Margaret The link is to a tomato discussion also links to good sites https://awaytogarden.com/late-blight-and-tomato-diseases-with-dr-meg-mcgrath/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TicTac said:

Zucrona Virus!?

13 hours ago, kayb said:

Mine did the same. Dunno whats up with that.

When mine do that it's always squash bugs.  Nasty creatures.  Check the underside of leaves for eggs.  

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

You can't get simpler than braising zucchini in a boatload of butter, then whirring the mess into a puree.    I could eat this for dessert!

Sure it is delicious to your taste - every body is different. The beauty of being a cook - you make to your taste. To me butter obscures but as said - that is me. I am also the one who cringes at cold shredded cheese and sour cream on "tacos". I bite my tongue because I am not you and if you like it  - cool.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

You can't get simpler than braising zucchini in a boatload of butter, then whirring the mess into a puree.    I could eat this for dessert!

Lemme know if you're making this for dessert...so I can go to Humphry Slocombe.

• Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

16 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

After putting number 8 and 9 zucchini in the fridge I wondered aloud “ can one make a breakfast zucchini crisp?”

I put them in a phyllo dough strudel and use plenty of warm spices. Enjoyed at the party Roughly grated and moisture squeezed

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

These zucchini fritters were breakfast yesterday and they were crisp:

IMG_2898.thumb.jpeg.5451830fd7918de28f2609b625056d9b.jpeg

Those fritters and Ikura I would eat.  But it's not really about the zucchini on that plate, now is it?

• Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

These zucchini fritters were breakfast yesterday and they were crisp:

IMG_2898.thumb.jpeg.5451830fd7918de28f2609b625056d9b.jpeg

Those look very good. I agree that a good use for zucchini is in fritters. And it can be combined with a variety of other vegetables in the batter. Kohlrabi, corn, chard, etc. Fritters with a generous amount of fresh dill would be excellent with the other stuff on that plate. Even zukes perk up when they are fried and crispy. 

A good way to hide them, if you really need to, is to add them to a pureed green chile chowder. A couple of potatoes, a few roasted tomatillos, roasted green chile, broth, cilantro and so on. Very forgiving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Those fritters and Ikura I would eat.  But it's not really about the zucchini on that plate, now is it?

As Mary Poppins sang, "Just a teaspoon of sugar helps the medicine go down..."     I would guess that veg box orders often bring produce that requires a little "ingenuity" , aka camouflage.   

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

My first time making Zucchini Fritters. Guess who forgot to squeeze the moisture out of the shredded veg before adding the other ingredients?  Went ahead and finished mixing up the batter, covered it and put it in the fridge to wait for time to cook for dinner. Kept thinking about it and checked on it about 20 minutes later. It had started to get a layer of moisture on top and I thought about setting it to drain, but then decided to just add some Panko crumbs and start cooking.

17A2DF4D-9D5E-4BD8-93D4-1509E584583D.thumb.jpeg.1211351434f73e4baf647edeb2f7bccd.jpeg

In addition to the Panko, I think the zucchini being very young and without seeds, saved my efforts. We had the Fritters with carrots and tzatziki sauce as our appetizer course with dinner.

13F9CB8C-C3DF-4443-9CC0-3CFA98022466.thumb.jpeg.78b87a3e2af9e504ba3b7bcf8f56b227.jpeg

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1