• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cook-Off 63: Summer Squash

David Ross

Hard for me to get past the old standard, sauteed with onion. Though I love the small ones, both yellow and zucchini, split in half, brushed with olive oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper, and grilled. 

And of course, zucchini fritters. The summer's first will be for dinner tonight.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Yup, zucchini are surprisingly sensitive to weather and pollinators - in NZ, they grew like weeds; in Japan, it can often be too cold and rainy (onset of monsoon) or too hot, though I'm not sure whether it's the pollinators or the zucchini that are suffering the most.

Didn't see this thread until after dinner, sadly. We had zuke on zuke:
1. Zucchini chunks cored, then stuffed with a mix of ground chicken, crumbled tofu, and a bit of leftover chickpea dal, flavored with thyme and the cumin from the dal. Ends dusted with cornflour and fried on both ends.
2. Clear chicken soup with the cores from the zucchini and a little parsley. Very simple.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, helenjp said:

Yup, zucchini are surprisingly sensitive to weather and pollinators - in NZ, they grew like weeds; in Japan, it can often be too cold and rainy (onset of monsoon) or too hot, though I'm not sure whether it's the pollinators or the zucchini that are suffering the most.

Didn't see this thread until after dinner, sadly. We had zuke on zuke:
1. Zucchini chunks cored, then stuffed with a mix of ground chicken, crumbled tofu, and a bit of leftover chickpea dal, flavored with thyme and the cumin from the dal. Ends dusted with cornflour and fried on both ends.
2. Clear chicken soup with the cores from the zucchini and a little parsley. Very simple.

Hi Helen!

If I recall, you are in Asia somewhere????

I will have at least 3 more months of squash to eat.  I bump this thread every year because it inspires me and people always add new ideas :)

How long did you fry your stuffed zucchini?  Did you do it in oil?

I just put a little oil on the bottom of the pan. The cooking time was shorter than for a really meat-heavy filling, because the tofu keeps it lighter, and also the tofu doesn't really need cooking. Once the tops and bottoms were browned, I added just a little water and put a lid on, barely cracked, and steamed them a few minutes until they were slightly soft but still a nice green.

I'm in Japan.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We have a ton of venison burger that I need to use and also the usual glut of zucchini  so, I am making tons of meatballs and freezing them.  SO handy.  I used 3-4 lbs of venison and  grated two large zucchini along with a panade of homemade bread crumbs and milk.  Also grated two onions, a bunch of garlic, finely diced fresh dill, oregano, Lawry's salt, lots of black pepper and grated parmesan cheese.  I browned them first and then put them in the CSO to bake at 350F for 5 minutes.  They are now in the freezer on a parchment covered cookie sheet and I will vac. pack them later today.  I will be doing this again over next few days so that I have a lot for the coming winter :)

After I grate the zucchini, I squeeze some of the water out but you don't want to get it all out because it makes the lightest, most tender meatballs ever.

IMG_3626.JPG.3625871421d8837b6a2a358c26b44d2d.JPG

IMG_3627.JPG.b1d3457445f7dc16fdcf73525e4e6886.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG.8ba500a426351b054387eb3e444c8be8.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 8

Those meatballs look wonderful, Shelby.  Thanks for the zucchini tip.  I fear my venison access is limited, but I'd give that technique a try with other meat as well.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Shelby 

at least you got rid of those

Zoooks

in your own Back Yard !

[ed.: No Comment ]

at least  you did not Motor Down the Highway

and dump them at your Least Best Friends !

Ouch on that Pay Back

just saying

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

at least you got rid of those

Zoooks

in your own Back Yard !

[ed.: No Comment ]

at least  you did not Motor Down the Highway

and dump them at your Least Best Friends !

Ouch on that Pay Back

just saying

It was touch and go for a bit....the campground narrowly escaped an anonymous zuke leaving.

• Haha 3

@Shelby 

OK  you have the right idea

Im sure those Campers , Happy or Not

are looking forward to your EggPlants !

and then there is this :

↵ Use original player
YouTube
← Replay
X
i

All that work in the garden ?

personally I see a few Jugs of M.R. as

being tastier

up to you !

• Like 2

For a middle-eastern twist on Shelby's venison-zucchini meatballs, Ottolenghi has a recipe on his site for turkey-zucchini meatballs with a sumac/yogurt sauce. I am not a huge ground turkey fan, nor do I often have zucchini hanging around in the fridge, but this sounds like a good way to juice up meatballs made with lean meats.

This evening I am making a pizza that I normally wouldn't make, but this one fits the bill, since all the ingredients are locally at peak right now and I am currently tomato challenged and need one "white" pizza. It's called "Corn Zucchini and Candied Jalapeño Pizza." Go figure. My husband makes a great crust and I have some beautiful fresh mozz so it can't be too bad, right? I am using a zucchini and one yellow summer squash and probably will sub out the jalapeños for poblanos that I roasted the other day, although candied jalapeños does have a nice ring to it. 

• Like 4

I like to put a little grated zucchini that has most of the water pressed out into cheese and onion enchiladas to lighten them up a bit. I got the idea from Torero's Mexican Retaurant here in Cary that uses zucchini as part of a veggie medley they put into their vegetarian cheese enchiladas. I put it in uncooked, and by the time the cheese is melted, it is fine.

My favorite way with zucchini is planks either grilled over charcoal or dusted in flour and fried. I can eat a surprising amount of it either way.

There used to be an appetizer dish at Ramada Inn in Memphis that was called Zucchini Lyonnaise that was nothing more than zucchini and onions cooked in an individual casserole dish with butter and salt. I became a regular at the bar during summer time, always ordering this dish and a few margaritas. Then I would stroll out to the pool, take off my street clothes in the ladies room and stuff them into my gym bag, taking out the towel I'd brought from home. I had worn a swimsuit underneath, and then I would swim in their pool like I owned the place. My story to the chatty bartender was that I came into town frequently on business. It didn't hurt that I tipped well. This strategy was so effective, that the bartender eventually told me to pick up the phone at poolside and order my drinks brought out there, and they could be charged to my (non-existent) room. xD Needless to say, I declined. I got up to some stuff when I was younger, but nothing that ever hurt anyone.

I've tried several times to make this zucchini lyonnaise, but mine never comes out as delicious as theirs. I think I have a tendency to overcook it a little. Theirs was quite al dente. Or perhaps it's just that I was always dieting and famished back then. This was the lowest calorie appetizer they had. 

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

@Shelby just watching The Kitchen on Food Network as my houseguest, Zoe the dachshund, seems to be fascinated by the food.

Two recipes you can check out on their website that looked good were:

Zucchini Pickled Noodles

Zucchini Pizza Bites

now they are doing a S'mores Ice box pie.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Haha 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I get so much inspiration from this thread every year :)

I've been wanting to make the Squash and Onion Smother from Deep Run Roots pg. 340, but it calls for tahini and I keep forgetting to buy some--side note, maybe I have some sesame seeds and I could make my own...hmmmm...

Anyway, in the meantime I ran across a recipe for Zucchini Butter.  Easy to make.  Throw some smashed and then chopped garlic in a large skillet along with about 3 good glugs of olive oil and a pat or two of butter.  Medium heat.  Then chop up 2-3 zucchini or yellow squash or both.  Throw that in the skillet with some salt and pepper--I added a couple of shakes of Italian seasoning.  Fresh herbs like basil or thyme would be good.  Then you cook it down--it took over an hour--but it becomes spreadable like butter.  Three big squash cooked down to about 1/2 a cup.  It says it keeps in the fridge for two weeks or you can freeze it for up to a year.  Win in my book because it uses up a lot of zucchini and you can freeze it  :)

thumbnail_IMG_6672.jpg.01b48836e8d84a5f9bf48fa09505e00e.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6673.jpg.dff79014a04e1aa4741aa4f5eed62db3.jpg

Excellent on toasted bread.  Other ideas--spread on pizza dough....toss with pasta.....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

34 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

@Shelby  Do you think there's a way to use the Instant Pot for zucchini butter?   Steam then use saute to reduce?

I think so, but make sure you are right there stirring a lot when using the saute function--mine, even on low, gets super hot.  

I should mention that the recipe said that if it gets too dry to add water or white wine.  I didn't need to add any liquid.  Also, if it gets a bit brown, just scrape.  The caramelization adds goodness.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

NATIONAL SNEAK SOME ZUCCHINI INTO YOUR NEIGHBOR’S PORCH DAY – August 8

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/national-sneak-some-zucchini-into-your-neighbors-porch-day-august-8/

how timely with this thread.....

Checked. Twice. Nada. 

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog