• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cook-Off 63: Summer Squash

David Ross

You have such wonderful things coming from your garden. In fact, that made me think of an idea. How about pickled zuchinni? I'm thinking a sweet pickle type of brine like my Aunt Bertie used for watermelon rind pickles?

When we lived in NJ an Italian friend there used to make delicious zucchini pickles with olive oil, vinegar, lemon and oregano.  Unfortunately, I didn't get the recipe. 

• Like 1

My mun just to do  spagbol sauce filled  zucchini boats covered with cheese when I was little.  We used to love it. 

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

When we lived in NJ an Italian friend there used to make delicious zucchini pickles with olive oil, vinegar, lemon and oregano.  Unfortunately, I didn't get the recipe. 

That's a good enough start for me.  Thanks.

Well, I've got four loaves of sour cream zuke bread in the freezer.  I need about six more.  Going to put them in customer baskets for Christmas.  I have them wrapped in saran and foil and then in freezer bags.  I think they will be ok until December, right?

You have lots more zucchini coming, right?  Perhaps it might be an idea to surprise those folks you have in mind with "spontaneous early presents"?  Then bake more... :-) 

• Like 2

You have lots more zucchini coming, right?  Perhaps it might be an idea to surprise those folks you have in mind with "spontaneous early presents"?  Then bake more... :-) 

I have LOTS more coming.  Just came in from the garden.  I have eight zukes and five yellow squash.  :)

• Like 1

My mun just to do  spagbol sauce filled  zucchini boats covered with cheese when I was little.  We used to love it. 

This does sound good, and is reminiscent of something I used to make when my kids were small.  My daughter and her husband do have a small garden in the back yard and, although many things have burned up and are no longer producing, the zucchini just keeps coming.

Think I'll make some zucchini boats for lunch or snack for the kiddos.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Sooooooo  Shelby:

made any 'Midnight Deliveries'

Across Town

To people you don't know and will never bump into ?

On their porch ?  without dogs ?

:biggrin:

ref:  Alton Brown  ep; re eggplant.

:laugh:

• Like 1

I have LOTS more coming.  Just came in from the garden.  I have eight zukes and five yellow squash.  :)

I keep seeing the breads you have been making, but what are you doing with the yellow squash?? they are probably my favorite summer veg. (have cooked them 3 times in the last 8 days plus eaten the leftovers the rest)Had them stewed with onions last night, and planning a casserole this weekend. Any suggestions? how do you use them??

( I don't have a garden . but they are on sale for 88c a lb, so I enjoy them while I can)

• Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Sooooooo  Shelby:

made any 'Midnight Deliveries'

Across Town

To people you don't know and will never bump into ?

On their porch ?  without dogs ?

:biggrin:

ref:  Alton Brown  ep; re eggplant.

:laugh:

I'm waiting for August 8th which is National Sneak Some Squash On To Your Neighbors Porch day   :laugh:

http://www.wellcat.com/august/sneak_some_zucchini_onto_your_ne.htm

I keep seeing the breads you have been making, but what are you doing with the yellow squash?? they are probably my favorite summer veg. (have cooked them 3 times in the last 8 days plus eaten the leftovers the rest)Had them stewed with onions last night, and planning a casserole this weekend. Any suggestions? how do you use them??

( I don't have a garden . but they are on sale for 88c a lb, so I enjoy them while I can)

I like to make this recipe from Jaymes a lot   http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145452-cook-off-63-summer-squash/?p=1926847  It's found on the first page of this thread.  I could eat a whole pan of it lol.

I also like to simply slice them and sautee them in butter along with some fresh dill or some lemon pepper.  If I ever get a big, lovely garden tomato, I like to throw one of those in as well.

Four more loaves of sour cream zuke bread and I'll have enough frozen for Christmas customer baskets.  I hope they like zuke bread LOL.

This isn't as pretty as I could have made it, but it sure tasted good.  Puff pastry squash and tomato rustic "tart".  Blue cheese on the bottom along with toasted pistachios ( recipe called for pine nuts--I'm out ).  Then, caramelized onions and thinly sliced,  lightly sautéed yellow and zuke squash. Top with fresh garden tomatoes and bring corners up to meet in the middle.  Bake at 400 for about 30 mins.  Sprinkle with parm.

photo.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 5

YOU REALLY NEED TO PICK THEM WHEN THEY ARE YOUNGER AND SMALLER!!!

Make battered-and-fried zucchini babies or flowers.  Soup w/ zucchini babies.  Salad w/ shaved or sliced baby zucchinis. Tomato sauce w/ baby zucchinis in it, with a nice fresh pasta.  Stuffed zucchini flowers (even simply Ricotta cheese would suffice) - i.e. don't let them become full-grown zucchinis.  Pick them the night before, not the morning after. Etc etc.  ;-) :-) 

• Like 1

20140816_115115_zpsd040373e.jpg

Zuke pancakes with  apples sauce, I used a recipe that used curds / quark pancakes and substituted with  zuke mash.

• Like 3

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

:laugh: Stop yelling at me, Huiray  :raz:

I'm doing better, I promise.  I've made quite a bit of spag. sauce using tons of the zukes and squash.  With as many plants as we have, they just keep on a comin' .

Just promise you won't tell the RV park where they came from.  :unsure:  :wink:

• Like 2

Green zucchini, julienned/shredded, and yellow zucchini, cut into short batons; sautéed w/ garlic, marinated shrimp & parsley leaves.  Accompanied by wild rice [bineshi].

The de-shelled, de-tailed shrimp were marinated w/ cooking rice wine, vegetable oil, a bit of "aged" soy sauce & fish sauce, Redmond salt, LOTS of ground white pepper.  Sautéed w/ garlic in vegetable oil, removed & reserved then added back in to the pan just before the end.

DSCN2472b_800.jpg

• Like 3

From Jerusalem on page 200 I made the turkey and zucchini burgers. They turned out very moist and flavourful...mainly from the mint and cumin. They were a little sloppy so I put them in the fridge for about an hour before frying and baking. They held together remarkably well.

• Like 2

A take off of a grilled vegetarian lasagna from the Chelsea Market cookbook:

3 cups of yellow summer squash and zucchini cut into small dice

1 onion  cut into small dice

2 cloves of garlic shredded on a zester

toss with olive oil and salt

roast for 15 minutes or so in a 425 degree oven

mix 1 cup of olive oil with 1 cup of homemade pesto

mix 1/2 up of the olive oil pesto with 2 cartons of drained lactaid cottage cheese, 1 egg and 1/3 cup of grated asiago

start with a smear of the olive oil/pesto  mix and layer fresh pasta sheets with the roasted veg, green cheese, grated asiago and olive oil/pesto mix.

I topped it with 3/4 cup of a marinara then baked for 45 minutes covered then uncovered for another 15-20 minutes

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Have any one else tried the false curd cake?

I've actually been on vacation on the Oregon coast, so haven't done any cooking at all for two weeks.  Back now.  Kind of swamped getting back into my routine.  Not sure when I'll get a chance but am definitely going to give it a go as soon as I get a spare minute. 

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.