• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ethnic foods I'm supposed to like - but don't.

In the spirit of 'Cocktails I'm supposed to like, but don't' - I'd like to raise the issue of those ethnic foods that folks wax poetic about - but that you simply don't get!

I will start with Pad Thai - never had one I liked - even in places that are supposed to make the 'best in town'. There is just something about the combination that doesn't do it for me.

So what "favourites" don't titillate your taste buds?

Curried anything. To me, they all taste and smell the same. I accused my mom of ruining oven 'fried' chicken by putting curry in the breading; she was amazed that I could taste it! Every inexpensive motel in Texas reeked of curry in the lobby. Yeesh!

• Like 2

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I'm with you, Judiu. I just don't 'get' curry.

My wife says it's because I've never had a good one, to which I reply I don't believe there are any good ones. To me, curries are very confused, muddy-tasting and -smelling things (I think it's the cumin, but I can't be certain).

Give me a nice fried pork chop any time.

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Could it be that these bad "ethnic" dishes that you do not like is more a function of bad restaurants in your area rather than the cuisine itself? I have never had good Korean food, but then i've never been to Korea - so i'm reserving judgement for now. It looks like it could be something amazing, but all the Korean food i've served so far has been pretty underwhelming.

• Like 1
There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Curry is just OK. Refried beans are lost on me. Cilantro tastes like soap, or if really fresh like stink bug. In fact most Mexican food isn't great to me. Taco Bell is better than authentic stuff and TB pretty much sucks. Southwestern cuisine is much better to me than Mexican.

The Indonasian/Malaysain dish "Gado-Gado, and it's close cousin, "Rojak". I dunno, it's something about the combination of beansprouts and h.b. eggs with the yolks cooked to that greeny-black hue that I just don't "get"..............

Kerry, I'm going to take your question as not being from an exclusively North American perspective, so... macaroni and cheese.

Seriously. I spent my childhood in Italy, so when my family moved back to the US, I was introduced to a lot of traditional American dishes for the first time, and to me they were as 'ethnic' and exotic as the various Asian and Latin American cuisines that I was being introduced to at that same time. People rave to me about how cosy and nostalgic mac and cheese is for them, and I just cannot like it.

• Like 2

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

What does 'curry' mean? A Thai jungle curry isn't packing a remotely similar flavour profile to anything Indian, for instance. Something Anglo with a sprinkle of a British-brand 'curry powder'?

I too had to warm up to Mac and Cheese. It took a while.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

In fact most Mexican food isn't great to me. Taco Bell is better than authentic stuff and TB pretty much sucks.

Mind = blown. :blink: Not liking authentic Mexican food is one thing, personal preference and all that... but "Taco Bell is better"?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Buddha jumps over the wall - never quite liked the dish. I know it's supposed to be like a showcase of the most expensive ingredients. But never found the flavor to be great.

I didn't know this dish until you mentioned it. It's like a high class turducken.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Refried beans. I like my beans whole and with some bite.

Except hummus.

I am so with you on the refried beans but I don't get hummus either.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I embrace most food related things from my Italian heritage but I just can't do chickenheads and feet or tripe . My father and uncles would gather at one of their houses and have a feed heads and feet or tripe together occasionally when they were alive because no one else in their respective families would touch it.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

In fact most Mexican food isn't great to me. Taco Bell is better than authentic stuff and TB pretty much sucks.

Mind = blown. :blink: Not liking authentic Mexican food is one thing, personal preference and all that... but "Taco Bell is better"?

Taco Belch isn't all that Mexican, I'm told. More Southwestern...tuned to yankee tastes.

Refried beans? Really? But they are so delicious! :)

For me, it's kimchee. Even the smell of it, when your spouse opens a jar downstairs and you can smell in the upstairs bedroom... Aaacccckkk. Although sad to say, most Korean food fits in that category for me. The hub loves Korean food and when we lived in NJ there were a lot of Korean restaurants nearby. At one place my husband loved -- we were the only non-Koreans in the place and a "special" waiter had to come to our table because he spoke English and the other waiters didn't -- I ordered a soup, figuring that would be "safe". But it turned out to be cold, with slippery noodles and then chunks of raw apple. My husband was happily slurping down all the quivery gelatinous stuff, he loved it, but I had to get up and remove my heaving stomach. Went next door and got a coffee and a bagel with cream cheese from a surly Hispanic guy (most of the bagel joints in northern NJ are run by Hispanics) and felt much better. Meanwhile, the English-speaking Korean waiter thought it was hilarious and comped my husband extra goodies.

• Like 1

Many of these foods are just everyday inexpensive meals to keep you from going hungry. They are not supposed to be three star gourmet treats.

How about Boxty, Colcannon, Black pudding, shepherd's pie? Do you go nuts for them?

dcarch

• Like 1

How about Boxty, Colcannon, Black pudding, shepherd's pie? Do you go nuts for them?

dcarch

Yes, yes, no, yes.

Well, maybe not "go nuts" but I'm never unhappy to see them on my plate.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Even all gussied up in a sandwich? If you put enough salad and sauce on falafel, there is nothing but crunch left!

If I can take the falafel out of the pita bread and eat the fixings, then sure.

I also don't like Indian food. At all. The mains are too saucy and spicy. The condiments are too hard to source. There are a million and one spices to dry roast and grind up. Everything is served with rice and flat bread. The desserts are way too sweet.

Other than that, there's nothing bad to say about it.

Falafels. Yuck.

I am right with you and nothing that one adds to them makes a damn bit of difference. They are nasty.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I thought about this topic all day and I really don't have anything to add. My dislikes are all related to specific ingredients, not cuisines or dishes. The things I don't like, I don't like no matter what dish or cuisine they're used in.