• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 1)

Beusho

"----Would the Anova have a variable Flow Rate? thats not really important but Id like to use this for my smaller SV OP's----"

For an impeller type of circulator, all you need to do is to block off with duct tape some in or out ports. The blocking off of in or out ports actually lessens the load to the motor for an impeller type of pump.

dcarch

"----Would the Anova have a variable Flow Rate? thats not really important but Id like to use this for my smaller SV OP's----"

For an impeller type of circulator, all you need to do is to block off with duct tape some in or out ports. The blocking off of in or out ports actually lessens the load to the motor for an impeller type of pump.

dcarch

You will probably have duct tape floating in your bath or worse yet jamming your pump and ruining the machine. You can vector the pump so it hits the closest wall, even the wall the circulator is mounted on, and that would reduce the how much power the rest of the bath sees if that's what you want to do. Edited by Beusho (log)
  • Like 1

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”

dcarch

You will probably have duct tape floating in your bath or worse yet jamming your pump and ruining the machine. You can vector the pump so it hits the closest wall, even the wall the circulator is mounted on, and that would reduce the how much power the rest of the bath sees if that's what you want to do.

A very good comment.

I should have pointed out that what you see those so called "duct tape", or "duck tape" are no longer duct tapes. They are illegal to be used as duct tapes. They are just fabric adhesive tapes that look like duct tape.

The duct tape I am talking about is the aluminum foil silver tapes which are legal to be used for heating/cooling pressurized duct work, they are much more durable. I have used it in boiling water with no problems.

dcarch

Okay, I might be missing something here but the the purpose of the circulation pump is to provide uniform heat distribution. At the flow rate (and power consumption) for SV units to much flow is a non-issue. While vectoring sounds good you still need to have an adequately sized heater in insulated container to maintain a constant water temperature coupled with adequate spacing between food pouches.

@rotuts

Yes, why do you want less flow? or variable flow?

I see you can do this for the polyscience ones, why would you want a slow flow rate?

Edited by Beusho (log)

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”

@rotuts

Yes, why do you want less flow? or variable flow?

I see you can do this for the polyscience ones, why would you want a slow flow rate?

Depends on the way the water flows, how powerful, in what direction, and the shape of the container, it can be annoying that it either pushes the bag away too much or draws the bag too close to the heater by Venturi force. Some adjustments can be helpful.

dcarch

image.jpg

image.jpg

Kerry Beal recently purchased one of these units and let me check it out. I have owned a Sous Vide Demi almost since they were introduced and was a beta tester for the original Sous Vide Magic. This unit is just elegant in its simplicity. Love that its container need not be a dedicated one trick pony. Almost any container would do the job. This was a rib steak so had a very short cook time and therefore evaporation was not an issue but there are many options for reducing evaporation depending on the chosen container.

It is almost silent in operation and was intuitive to operate. What was not quite so intuitive and made reading the (electronic) manual a good move was the caution to keep the water level below the halfway point on the stainless steel skirt. Not a difficult warning to heed but as I said not intuitive.

I am not yet ready to give up my Demi but I am much more aware of its limitations now -- no circulation, occupies a lot of precious counter space, is definitely a one trick pony and..... Sheesh what am I saying?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Kerry Beal recently purchased one of these units and let me check it out. I have owned a Sous Vide Demi almost since they were introduced and was a beta tester for the original Sous Vide Magic. This unit is just elegant in its simplicity. Love that its container need not be a dedicated one trick pony. Almost any container would do the job. This was a rib steak so had a very short cook time and therefore evaporation was not an issue but there are many options for reducing evaporation depending on the chosen container.

It is almost silent in operation and was intuitive to operate. What was not quite so intuitive and made reading the (electronic) manual a good move was the caution to keep the water level below the halfway point on the stainless steel skirt. Not a difficult warning to heed but as I said not intuitive.

I am not yet ready to give up my Demi but I am much more aware of its limitations now -- no circulation, occupies a lot of precious counter space, is definitely a one trick pony and..... Sheesh what am I saying?

I hope you aren't saying you won't give it back...

I broke down and placed an order the other day. Waiting on delivery. I like the design and the drop in price was the selling point. Figured I wasn't patient enough to wait until they dropped to the $40 price point Dcarch eluded to

Very elegant post A.N.

Ive got a hankering for this puppy, a puppy I do not need as I have my own DIY mug-heater system for smaller SV work, reheats etc.

but, well, a hankering is a hankering.

may I ask why they water lever needs to be 1/2 way up the stainless? If you use this system for long term >24 hours SV'd can you adjust the immersion depth to satisfy this requirement assuming you have a system with little to no evaporation in a closed custom make BeerCooler with a cut out top just to fit this?

BTW KB: just a guess: AN might have a hard time remembering where she put the item in question, when its not in use. just a guess.

will follow with interest.

Very elegant post A.N.

Ive got a hankering for this puppy, a puppy I do not need as I have my own DIY mug-heater system for smaller SV work, reheats etc.

but, well, a hankering is a hankering.

may I ask why they water lever needs to be 1/2 way up the stainless? If you use this system for long term >24 hours SV'd can you adjust the immersion depth to satisfy this requirement assuming you have a system with little to no evaporation in a closed custom make BeerCooler with a cut out top just to fit this?

BTW KB: just a guess: AN might have a hard time remembering where she put the item in question, when its not in use. just a guess.

will follow with interest.

The area of the unit surrounded by the stainless skirt is designed to tolerate immersion, the upper potion of the unit not so much. So it is not a matter of needing to be half up but of water not being any higher than the half way point.

I am not sure why you would need to make adjustments for this if there is no evaporation.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

I hope you aren't saying you won't give it back...

Hmmmmmmm..............

My 2004 eG Blog

I am not sure why you would need to make adjustments for this if there is no evaporation.

I sometimes to fairly large batches in the various coolers i use, which means the water level can get fairly close to the top to allow more volume for the whole unit: bags + circulating water.

the clamping point would then seem to determine the ( water + bag-volume ) depth Ill have to look at the clamp dimensions to see if that clamping point could be raise up on the side of the Cooler to give a maximum volume.

should you get the chance, knowing you are very busy ( :biggrin: ) Id love to see a pic with a side view of the devise with a ruler to see the side geometry so i can guess the distance to the mid-water point on the SS to the clamp point.

another way to describe the question: in your pic above the water lever in your container was at mid mark

( ? 8 QT)

if you wanted the water level to be at the 12 QT mark, would you still be able to attach the device or would the clamp point then be above the container>

Ill go to their web site to see if they show this some how.

many thanks

Edited by rotuts (log)

The Stainless steel part may be water proof, but there may be components inside which may not be.

Also, looking closely at these units, I am not sure how electrically insulated they are if water gets inside. The Sainsaire for instance, the pump motor does not look like it is water proofed or electrically insulated.

dcarch

The Stainless steel part may be water proof, but there may be components inside which may not be.

Also, looking closely at these units, I am not sure how electrically insulated they are if water gets inside. The Sainsaire for instance, the pump motor does not look like it is water proofed or electrically insulated.

dcarch

Instructions suggest that you return it immediately if it falls in the water.

dcarch

Exactly my point.

dcarch

dcarch

Exactly my point.

dcarch

I am unsure why this is an issue. An immersion blender if dropped into water or the soup would also be an issue. Edited by heidih
Fix quote tags (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

dcarch

Exactly my point.

dcarch

Just questions, There may not be issues. I am sure they have engineers who have already considered this.

Many immersion blender motors are not ventilated, which means less openings for water to get in. Also, blenders are made in mass quantities, they can afford to have custom water sealed gasketed bearing around the motor's rotating shaft.

You can see the Sainsaire pump motor is ventilated and it does not look like the kind of motor that has water sealed bearings.

dcarch

Edited by heidih
Fix quote tags (log)