• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 1)

Beusho

Just to be clear, I'm not shilling for the Sansaire. The Anova looks great. I'm just looking for the best I can get in quality:price and this one and the Sansaire at least appear to be pretty comparable in quality which means it comes down to price. $55 isn't insignificant in my financial world, especially when it's entirely related to shipping. There are some things that have been mentioned regarding the Anova that may lead me to go ahead and shell out the extra cost. It's a win for us no matter which one we buy considering what a quality unit cost not too long ago.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

@Beusho helpful comments. I recall someone here commenting on the pumps of the SideKIC and competitors not being strong enough to last. Do the Anova and Sansaire have stronger pumps? And why does Sansaire need kick starter funding if it is part of Myrhvold-world?

@Beusho And why does Sansaire need kick starter funding if it is part of Myrhvold-world?

From the Sansaire website.......

"Is this project related to Modernist Cuisine?

Nope. Although Scott works for Modernist Cuisine, this project was underway before he joined the team. He was generously given permission to continue work on the Sansaire as an after-hours project."

~Martin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

@Beusho And why does Sansaire need kick starter funding if it is part of Myrhvold-world?

From the Sansaire website.......

"Is this project related to Modernist Cuisine?

Nope. Although Scott works for Modernist Cuisine, this project was underway before he joined the team. He was generously given permission to continue work on the Sansaire as an after-hours project."

~Martin

My point was that Nat M has quite the funding power and cred. Wouldn't that be a seal of approval if he was a principal backer? Maybe he is, just curious.

Perhaps the creators don't want to give up equity.

~Martin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

@Beusho helpful comments. I recall someone here commenting on the pumps of the SideKIC and competitors not being strong enough to last. Do the Anova and Sansaire have stronger pumps? And why does Sansaire need kick starter funding if it is part of Myrhvold-world?

Pump Motors are rated for 5K hours per warranty and will last much longer if you actually take care of the system -

The pump design on the current system is one of the more innovative designs we've cooked up - @ 12 liters(3gal)/min might seem ok just by itself but you can vector the output to any angle allowing you to create good circulation even when you have large bags in the pot. This is especially effective when you have a round pot - you angle the flow around the edge which feeds back into itself.

Jeff Wu

Senior Engineer

Anova Culinary LLC

BBQ Fanatic, Organic Gardener, Organic Grape Grower

you can vector the output to any angle allowing you to create good circulation even when you have large bags in the pot.

this feature has me very interested. I have a SVMagig which I love(d) and have had for some time but it has serious rust issues and is about to meet its maker

i have a DIY system with several of those $ 8.00 mug heaters but its a little bit of a pain to set up. cheap though.

this might be a lot more convenient if it really has vectoring for the flow and lasts in hot water. SVMagic initially was not rust proof, which is odd for something designed to sit in hot water!

Pump Motors are rated for 5K hours per warranty and will last much longer if you actually take care of the system -

The pump design on the current system is one of the more innovative designs we've cooked up - @ 12 liters(3gal)/min might seem ok just by itself but you can vector the output to any angle allowing you to create good circulation even when you have large bags in the pot. This is especially effective when you have a round pot - you angle the flow around the edge which feeds back into itself.

What does "taking care of the system" involve?

"---i have a DIY system with several of those $ 8.00 mug heaters but its a little bit of a pain to set up. cheap though.--"

If you have good working knowledge and skills in electric work, -------

My cheapest reliable way - A 240 V hot water heating element or a 240 V stove heating element running at 120 V. They are very high wattage, like 2,000 watts, 4,000 watts, but at 1/2 voltage, they are about 1/4 the wattage. Furthermore you can wire them in series with a diode and cut the wattage in half. These heating element are very inexpensive. At reduced wattage, they will last many centuries.

You must electrically ground them well and insulate to the maximum with a ground fault outlet, or you will cook yourself before you cook the meat.

dcarch

you can vector the output to any angle allowing you to create good circulation even when you have large bags in the pot.

this feature has me very interested. I have a SVMagig which I love(d) and have had for some time but it has serious rust issues and is about to meet its maker

i have a DIY system with several of those $ 8.00 mug heaters but its a little bit of a pain to set up. cheap though.

this might be a lot more convenient if it really has vectoring for the flow and lasts in hot water. SVMagic initially was not rust proof, which is odd for something designed to sit in hot water!

Toots - send Frank Hsu an email about your rust issues. You might just find that he provides a replacement. I had some electrical issues with mine at one point and the unit he replaced it with doesn't seem to have the rust issues.

"---Pump Motors are rated for 5K hours per warranty and will last much longer if you actually take care of the system ----"

​Motors require no maintenance in general.

Sintered bronze bearing are permanently oiled.

Ball bearing motors require no oiling.

Brushed universal motors are not used because the speed may be too high.

Brushless motors are all electronic driven.

Shaded pole motors, or induction motors, most suitable, has one magnetic coil driving a rotor.

May be dust removal, they all need good ventilation.

dcarch

i dont mind the $ 8.00 mug heaters for very small jobs. they get down to $ 6.50 with the coupons ! :biggrin:

the secret to them is to turn the power both on and off while they are in the water,

and if one busts its cheap to replace. I have 4 - 6 of these on standby reserve in a handy drawer nearby :biggrin:

My father taught Electrical Engineering, and I have a healthy respect for all things electrical esp. near water.

when my largest rig gives up the ghost, Ill move to the Bucket Heater, which also awaits its destiny next to those spare mug heaters.

http://www.amazon.com/MARSHALLTOWN-Premier-742G-Bucket-Heater/dp/B000BDB4UG/ref=sr_1_1/187-4534683-5640762?ie=UTF8&qid=1377265736&sr=8-1&keywords=water+heater+bucket

What does "taking care of the system" involve?

The number 1 reason for motor failures from what I have experienced is excessive over heating caused by jammed impellers and shafts. Motors do last a very long time but in a circulator they run as part of a pump mechanism during operation which can be compromised by the following:

1) bending the stirring shaft

2) taking the skirt off and running the unit where objects gets jammed into the impellers

3) dropping the entire system in water

4) letting hair, strands of debris, organics growth that collect over time that can build to the point it jams the entire mechanism. <-- this actually happens

Jeff Wu

Senior Engineer

Anova Culinary LLC

BBQ Fanatic, Organic Gardener, Organic Grape Grower

How does the Anova deal with brief power interuptions?

When I was playing with the SideKIC, I had to plug it into a battery back up power supply to insure I didn't loose power and data due to a momentary power interuption which we get from time to time

• Like 1

The answer to that question is - the unit shuts off and requires resetting. So you will need to continue with your battery back up. When you go to reset the numbers it seems to recall the last temperature - but not the time.

For those wondering about the clearance: here is a pic attached to my cooler, it's got plenty of room to go.

The one thing I took for granted with this is the vectoring of the pump that Jeff mentioned. I put 4 steaks in my small cooler yesterday and was able to vector the pump to make sure the heat was distributed evenly by shooting it directly at the steaks, I could also angle it along the side so it came around behind the steaks and created a little mini whirlpool. The vectoring is awesome for when I think I may be overcrowding. From what I've seen of the other SV machines they just have a stirring shaft that moves the water directly around the unit, like putting a very tiny fan in the bath.

Anova3.jpg

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”

The Sirens are singing Their Song to me and its now the Song of the Anova.

(it used to be the Nakiri - but Ive resisted so far)

fortunately for me, Im Familiar with the Sirens, and have tied myself to the Mast.

Would the Anova have a variable Flow Rate? thats not really important but Id like to use this for my smaller SV OP's

Reheating, Eggs ( 2 doz + ) and Experimental Work. these involve the smaller two of my Beer Cooler collection.

Id be getting rid of my Mug Heaters etc.

Beusho

if you have decent thick mil bags, a decent freezer, ice etc consider a larger cooler for On Sale Experimental work.

I do , at times, 12 - 14 bags of On Sale and then chill, freeze and reheat in a small cooler for another day.

from what Ive seen so far, the Anova Crew has to have the Nomiku Team somewhat worried.

and I say this with great respect to all people who try to launch a new, cutting edge product.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I can't imagine Anova cares about Nomiku, Nomiku costs $349, still hasn't shipped and has the separate power box which is kind of odd. The only other one in the price range is Sansaire which costs the same ($199), but it's a kickstarter so who knows if it will actually ship on time or pass all the certifications. Also the Sansaire is plastic and has no vectoring pump, compare this to stainless steel and a vectoring pump as well as a having a history making immersion circulators I would prefer Anova.

Ooooh, looks nice. Great accuracy at 0.01°C. Really like to try one of those, but I'll have to wait until they come to Australia.

0.01ºC?

I don't see any specs on their website. The readouts are in .1º increments, but there's no indication of accuracy in +/- degree tolerance. Can anyone verify what the specs are?

Monterey Bay area

Stability is read as +/- .01C in the manual, I've had mine and test it with a NSF thermometer and it has been right where the readout says, the readout is in .1C but can be changed to F.

I should also mention the customer service is spectacular, I called Anova and immediately talked to a human being when I had questions, this is a big factor for me when I purchase more expensive items: is a real human being going to talk to me, this lets me know that if I ever have problems I would have support

Edited by Beusho (log)