• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 1)

Beusho

I'm happy to say it's so easy to use that the fact that no instruction book etc were included made no difference at all.

In case folks don't know - the included credit card sized thingie is actually a USB flash drive with a pdf manual on it.

And to answer jmasur - the firmware version is shown on the splash screen when powered on.

Monterey Bay area

I'm happy to say it's so easy to use that the fact that no instruction book etc were included made no difference at all.

In case folks don't know - the included credit card sized thingie is actually a USB flash drive with a pdf manual on it.

And to answer jmasur - the firmware version is shown on the splash screen when powered on.

And here I was, thinking it was just a clever promotional item, a freeby memory stick with the Anova logo on it. Edited by cbread (log)

Lies: it's actually a miniature camera and audio recorder so that the NSA can gather information on how eGullet members sous vide their eggs!

Exactly. 'Sous vide' is an anagram of 'subversive', isn't it? All this talk of precise control ... we know what you're REALLY talking about.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Coming to canada - all taxes and brokerage fees were included in the shipping cost

$70 sounds like a lot for shipping, but it only comes down to $44 if you exclude the included HST. So it's not bad at all. Plus, you get it 2 days later.

Ordered my Anova this weekend, late Saturday. Got an email that it shipped yesterday, and it arrived FedEx this morning. I've got it up and running-- just going to try some carrots for lunch. So far, I'm impressed at how quiet it is. I can hear a slight hum when I'm in the kitchen, but other than that, nothing.

220V version is now available - $70 for shipping, and it's not 100% clear whether VAT on import is included..

I'll wait for news on the vat.

Sansaire are estimating "the lower end of $20-50"

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Quick update on my carrots. Good and bad results.

The Bad: I had let them cook for about an hour or so, but when I lwent to check on them, the bag had puffed up. My guess is that the carrots had developed some gasses when they started breaking down. So they had dislodged themselves from under the plate I was using to weigh them down, and while I was clumsily trying to put them back under it without burning myself, I broke the seal on the bag. The bag filled with water, and my pot of water became contaminated by the butter I had put in the bag.

The Good: The carrots had cooked to the right consistency and were tender and juicy. They had a very slight buttery taste that I hadn't encountered before. After I tried one, I couldn't stop until I ate them all.

So now I just have to work on keeping things from gassing up and make sure they don't rise up if they do. Maybe if I had clipped the bag to the plate? Would the carrots have benefited from a quick blanch or nuke in the microwave?

"" carrots had developed some gasses ""

this is new to me. appreciate any other input on veg and ''gasses''

I have cooked carrots a number of times and never run into this issue. Mine are vac-sealed with a Food Saver.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

ChefSteps sous vide carrots.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I've occasionally experienced it, but mainly with eggplants, and thought it was primarily due to them losing solid volume and condensing.

When making eggplant, I therefore use larger bags, and if there's a lot of air in the bag partway through the cook, I slice the end off and revacuum and seal.

Thanks for posting that link. It's a great site! I've just spent more than an hour browsing videos.

Yes. Indeed it is.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

"" carrots had developed some gasses ""

this is new to me. appreciate any other input on veg and ''gasses''

I have cooked carrots a number of times and never run into this issue. Mine are vac-sealed with a Food Saver.

So are mine but with the pad of butter when melted I developed an air pocket. I have gone to including a few whiskey stones in my veggie bags or using a pair of tongs to hold in place

220V version is now available - $70 for shipping, and it's not 100% clear whether VAT on import is included.

May have to dig around for the credit card later on...

Yay! Just ordered mine (choice of black, black or black).

AnovaJeff, if you're watching - the website still says October 2013 for the 220v version (in at least two places I spotted), but it does appear on the dropdown to order.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

220V version is now available - $70 for shipping, and it's not 100% clear whether VAT on import is included.

May have to dig around for the credit card later on...

Yay! Just ordered mine (choice of black, black or black).

AnovaJeff, if you're watching - the website still says October 2013 for the 220v version (in at least two places I spotted), but it does appear on the dropdown to order.

Oh, oh - get the black! It's the fastest!

• Like 1

I am pretty happy doing carrots at 78 C for just over an hour. The bag doesn't puff up at all and the carrots are ever so slightly crunchy..but in a really nice way. Sealed at 99.9 in a bit of a larger bag with a bit of butter and thyme. Absolutely delicious.

DiggingDog - I understand your point of view. Perhaps my expectations we're too high but as I said my individual experience with the Anova was a major let down. Everything I stated is factual as it happened, there was no fishing for negatives - they unfortunately jumped out of the water at me.

4 posts to bash the Anova (didn't even own one) then gone....

Edited by goodgood (log)