• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 1)

Beusho

I purchased a polycarbonate container along with a lid for when I receive my new Anova circulator. My question is: Has anyone ever cut these lids to fit the Anova. Cost for a Polyscience cut lid for their unit was ridiculously expense. I figured for the $8.00 lid I bought, I'd try and cut myself. Hopefully won't be to difficult.I picked up a couple Cambro Polycarbonate containers with lids yesterday. An 8qt and 18qt. I got a 3" hole saw which did a fine job of cutting a hole after I remembered it need a starter bit. Obviously not my brightest moment when after cutting the hole I forgot to take into account the flange on the back takes up some space. So a 3 1/4" is the min size hole saw you want to get for the AnovaNow after all that I think the best place to place the unit is in the corner which maximizes the interior space. At least the lids were cheap

Thank you much, this was very helpful!

3 1/4 inch is the perfect size hole cutter unless you want a 1/2" space on the side of the Anova. I just purchased a 3 1/4" hole saw today. Nice clean hole

je6y7ena.jpg

• Like 1

My Anova v.2 update arrived today - I had been expecting Anova to update my original unit which I only just purchased 8/24, but instead I received a new unit. One of the hardware improvements is a stabilizing post that's tied to the heating element.

I'm trying it now with an 18 hr./65ºC baby back rib test, and so far the out-of-the-box Anova is within .1º of my Thermopen. Keeping in mind that the Thermopen claims accuracy of +/- .4ºC

It'll be interesting to see how Nomiko, Sansaire and PolySci fare in this market, and I'm grateful that the competition exists.

Monterey Bay area

That's really great service. I wonder what will happen with all the older units sent back if everyone is getting newer ones. Perhaps a refurbished sale?

I still think the Anova is just a tad loud for a hum especially in an open concept kitchen for longer cooks. Too bad there's no way to lower the speed of the circulator.

That's really great service. I wonder what will happen with all the older units sent back if everyone is getting newer ones. Perhaps a refurbished sale?

I still think the Anova is just a tad loud for a hum especially in an open concept kitchen for longer cooks. Too bad there's no way to lower the speed of the circulator.

The polyscience chef series is significantly louder, I own both. My wife has also commented on the differing volumes.

Any news on the higher voltage item for us folks abroad (UK here)?

There doesn't seem to be an option to select the 220V model on the website, or in fact any option to ship outside the US.

International customers can order by phone. Their 220V version is coming out sometime in October (or so it says on their website).

Just to tell you how crazy I am. I ordered a Sous Vide Supreme demi last week and it arrived today. But in the meantime, I started reading this thread and convinced myself to get an Anova as well. Anova shipped today and should be here next week. Now, I will have two, plus another one (sansair) shipping on November 18th and I have yet to cook anything sous vide. Help!

Just to tell you how crazy I am. I ordered a Sous Vide Supreme demi last week and it arrived today. But in the meantime, I started reading this thread and convinced myself to get an Anova as well. Anova shipped today and should be here next week. Now, I will have two, plus another one (sansair) shipping on November 18th and I have yet to cook anything sous vide. Help!

Step away from your wallet and definitely don't order the yellow submarine...

Thanks guy/gals.for the advice and encouragements. I started my SV cooking this AM. Duck confit. Only because I am familiar with this. Then I hope I can tell the difference in taste and consistency with the traditional method, but probably not. I will try the egg when the Anova gets here Wednesday.

Step away from your wallet and definitely don't order the yellow submarine...

No, no yellow sub and no Nomiku. This is it until I know what I am doing. Could be a while.

I finally made my choice. I was waiting for other models to come out such as the Polyscience home model and possibly a Sousvide Supreme circulator, but so far the Anova model is consistently superior to other models including price.

So I ordered mine today, and and already got a confirmation email.

Now I don't know which will be harder; waiting to receive my Anova Circulator by mail, or waiting for my first 1.5" steak to cook 60-90 minutes with it :wink:

Edited by EMG (log)

Just Wait until they ramp up ( with hopefully no loss of quality ) and get these in Bill Sonoma, Sur la Table ( with a demo circulating away ( at room temp ) and at BB&B

but they Must Not under any circumstances send any Sample Free to America's Test Kitchen. Charge Them Triple !

:blink:

You Know Who takes the stuff home for Free.

:huh:

Its the PBS Way.

:raz:

• Like 1

BTW:

your are the only Circulator Company that has YTube ""opening vids""

you have done a fine job ( so far ) with your packing.

Only Apple has done as good or better.

good for You !

its a texture and visual thing.

Pls Keep It Up.

FD no one have ever posted a Dell or Microsoft " opening Vid "

:blink:

:huh:

:laugh:

Edited by rotuts (log)

Lately, my Anova has developed a problem where the shaft holding the impeller became slightly offset, causing one of the blades to hit the sleeve of the device. This causes the device to rattle extremely loudly when turned on. It's possible to bend the shaft back a little bit to temporarily halt the problem but it comes back again after a while. I emailed Anova about it 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back from them yet. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing anything similar?

PS: I am a guy.

Lately, my Anova has developed a problem where the shaft holding the impeller became slightly offset, causing one of the blades to hit the sleeve of the device. This causes the device to rattle extremely loudly when turned on. It's possible to bend the shaft back a little bit to temporarily halt the problem but it comes back again after a while. I emailed Anova about it 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back from them yet. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing anything similar?

I've had this happen once and it was because the stainless sleeve was not tight in place. Knew immediately that there was a problem. Unscrewed the bottom cap, centered the impeller and tightened the sleeve in place. Now I watch for this anytime I remove the sleeve for cleaning