• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 1)

Beusho

So I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I always disassemble the machine and wipe everything dry after cooking. However, I started to notice that one of the measuring probes (not sure if it's water level or temperature), is slightly tinted now. Sometimes, when I wipe off the water, this dark residue that looks like oxidized metal (rust) comes off on the napkin. It's weird that it's only on that one probe. Everything else is fine... (well actually.. the weld points on the metal skirt also oxidizes but that's not as big of a deal). Anyone else experience this? I'm wondering if this is going to cause a problem later since it is on one of the probes.

I always disassemble the machine and wipe everything dry after cooking. However, I started to notice that one of the measuring probes (not sure if it's water level or temperature), is slightly tinted now. Sometimes, when I wipe off the water, this dark residue that looks like oxidized metal (rust) comes off on the napkin. It's weird that it's only on that one probe. Everything else is fine... (well actually.. the weld points on the metal skirt also oxidizes but that's not as big of a deal). Anyone else experience this? I'm wondering if this is going to cause a problem later since it is on one of the probes.

I actually noticed that too. I used it all day so i wondered if that had anything to do with it. I didn't give it much thought though. You think it could affect the accuracy of the probe?

I used some foam type packing material to cover the gaps

excellent. my ( future ) concern is how hot does the Avona really get at the level of the of what you might like to be a top such as

you have made? the Anova ive seen says " HOT " at a point above the water line. is this a concern for any sort of home made

" top " to a container to keep the heat and humidity in ?" like a Beer Cooler Top home made with insulation inside>

thanks

I used some foam type packing material to cover the gaps

excellent. my ( future ) concern is how hot does the Avona really get at the level of the of what you might like to be a top such as

you have made? the Anova ive seen says " HOT " at a point above the water line. is this a concern for any sort of home made

" top " to a container to keep the heat and humidity in ?" like a Beer Cooler Top home made with insulation inside>

thanks

I haven't done any 72 hour cooks but I have done 3 hours and 5 hours and have not noticed getting hot. Maybe warm, but that's it.

I actually noticed that too. I used it all day so i wondered if that had anything to do with it. I didn't give it much thought though. You think it could affect the accuracy of the probe?

I'm not too sure about this one but with my DIY one, when the temperature probe (pt100) started rusting (around the edges), it became less accurate and I eventually had to replace it. Right now the Anova is still accurate but I'm not sure what will happen a year from now which is why I'm a little concerned.

I'm not too sure about this one but with my DIY one, when the temperature probe (pt100) started rusting (around the edges), it became less accurate and I eventually had to replace it. Right now the Anova is still accurate but I'm not sure what will happen a year from now which is why I'm a little concerned.

And it is definitely rust? I wasn't sure if it may have been residue from particles floating in the water that stuck to it/cooked to it? I had some eggs slightly crack that may have leaked proteins. Cook eggs? But then why wouldn't it stick to the other metal pieces? Hmmmmm. Why wouldn't anything else begin rusting?

Also, would it rust this quickly? After 8 hours of total use?

Edit: I looked at my unit again. Do you have what could be 2 sensors? I have one long one that eventually angles in towards the middle of the unit (towards propeller). I also have a shorter one that goes straight down on the side. The manual doesn't seem to show the angled one, but shows the straight one where the angled one is and labels that as the temperature and water level probe. The angled one doesn't look like it is "rusting" compared to the smaller straight one. I still don't know why one would "rust" and the other wouldn't since they are probably made out of the same metal.

Edited by Robenco15 (log)

If Anova Jeff reads this, I'd appreciate a comment on any safety turn-off features of the software.

please see comments below

I always disassemble the machine and wipe everything dry after cooking. However, I started to notice that one of the measuring probes (not sure if it's water level or temperature), is slightly tinted now. Sometimes, when I wipe off the water, this dark residue that looks like oxidized metal (rust) comes off on the napkin. It's weird that it's only on that one probe.

Congrats!!! You just located our patented low water level electrode sensor. It is pulling charged particles from your water, sides of your pot, particles sticking to you bag, dust in the air is all going to stick to it. Discoloration is normal and does not affect anything. Depending on your water source (drilled well, or city water,) you will get colorations from shades brown to all shades of grey, to black. This sensor also stops the unit as soon as you pull the system out of water and is the only system that has an instantaneous stop. There is also a hard switch bi-metal fuse imbedded with the heater for redundant safety.

@Robenco15

The bent sensor is the Temp probe - I had it reoriented in newest V2 units after people started cleaning and dropping their units on the probe bending it out of shape. The reorientation allows the point of impact to be on the heating coils which can take a beating.

• Like 1

Jeff Wu

Senior Engineer

Anova Culinary LLC

BBQ Fanatic, Organic Gardener, Organic Grape Grower

If Anova Jeff reads this, I'd appreciate a comment on any safety turn-off features of the software.

please see comments below

I always disassemble the machine and wipe everything dry after cooking. However, I started to notice that one of the measuring probes (not sure if it's water level or temperature), is slightly tinted now. Sometimes, when I wipe off the water, this dark residue that looks like oxidized metal (rust) comes off on the napkin. It's weird that it's only on that one probe.

Congrats!!! You just located our patented low water level electrode sensor. It is pulling charged particles from your water, sides of your pot, particles sticking to you bag, dust in the air is all going to stick to it. Discoloration is normal and does not affect anything. Depending on your water source (drilled well, or city water,) you will get colorations from shades brown to all shades of grey, to black. This sensor also stops the unit as soon as you pull the system out of water and is the only system that has an instantaneous stop. There is also a hard switch bi-metal fuse imbedded with the heater for redundant safety.

@Robenco15

The bent sensor is the Temp probe - I had it reoriented in newest V2 units after people started cleaning and dropping their units on the probe bending it out of shape. The reorientation allows the point of impact to be on the heating coils which can take a beating.

That is so freaking cool and basically the direct opposite of what my concern was. Awesome.

Thanks Jeff. I was wondering why the probe was bent and oriented down the center of the coils in some units when mine was straight. Any reason to be cleaning and drying parts after use as long as no food stuff got into the unit?

If we were going to mail back our units to get upgraded to v2, what sorts of differences should we expect? I use my Anova very frequently since I got it and have no complaints so if there is nothing substantially different, I will probably just keep mine at the current version. Some information would be very helpful.

If we were going to mail back our units to get upgraded to v2, what sorts of differences should we expect? I use my Anova very frequently since I got it and have no complaints so if there is nothing substantially different, I will probably just keep mine at the current version. Some information would be very helpful.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145431-anova-sous-vide-circulator-available-anyone-try-it/page-12#entry1933226

Not that big of a change. If you don't use the timer feature, you probably wont know the difference.

I sent mine back because the temp was off and the software I was running didn't allow me to change the calibration. If I hadn't wanted the temp change - I would not have bothered to send it back cause I was perfectly happy with it otherwise.

Any reason to be cleaning and drying parts after use as long as no food stuff got into the unit?

I clean internals about once every 1-2 months - unless you get a spill or bag break. Sous vide is generally pretty clean and honestly I think switching out bath water after a few uses is more important.

Jeff Wu

Senior Engineer

Anova Culinary LLC

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145431-anova-sous-vide-circulator-available-anyone-try-it/page-12#entry1933226

Not that big of a change. If you don't use the timer feature, you probably wont know the difference.

On the hardware side is mostly a bunch of optimization tweaks:

1) the sensor got reoriented as mentioned above.

2) opened up the water intake slightly so the system sucks air less when you are running a few inches of water.

3) reoriented the internal fan so the unit runs a bit cooler

The hardware is getting done as well for anyone that wants the upgrade

Jeff Wu

Senior Engineer

Anova Culinary LLC

On the hardware side is mostly a bunch of optimization tweaks:

1) the sensor got reoriented as mentioned above.

2) opened up the water intake slightly so the system sucks air less when you are running a few inches of water.

3) reoriented the internal fan so the unit runs a bit cooler

The hardware is getting done as well for anyone that wants the upgrade

Jeff,

If we filled out the survey, when should we expect the shipping label? I won't be able to send mine until I get back from my trip, but just wanted to find out when to expect it. I filled out the survey the day you posted the link. I hope my responses help!

Jennifer

Apparently, I have my mom to thank for loving to cook. As she always says, "You should thank me for never cooking. It forced you to learn how!"

Jeff,

If we filled out the survey, when should we expect the shipping label? I won't be able to send mine until I get back from my trip, but just wanted to find out when to expect it. I filled out the survey the day you posted the link. I hope my responses help!

We are working through them - most are going out this week.

Jeff Wu

Senior Engineer

Anova Culinary LLC

I've got a number of reports of people running the system without the stainless steel skirt. There are 2 very important reasons why you do not want to do that.

1) Your bag wraps the heating coils and the heaters will melt a hole in your bag spilling your contents. This was a problem with DIY system in the past with naked heating coils.

2) Your bag gets caught in the impeller tearing a hole and spilling contents - which I already think someone posted on.

Jeff Wu

Senior Engineer

Anova Culinary LLC

I can't imagine any benefit from using the unit without the skirt

So far my Anova has been working really well. Made boneless short ribs, 60C/54hrs that were excellent with a side of SV carrots, 84C/1hr. Both were excellent. Temps steady at all time when checked. My first SV carrots. Great carrot flavor and I can see I'll be making them more often.

I purchased a polycarbonate container along with a lid for when I receive my new Anova circulator. My question is: Has anyone ever cut these lids to fit the Anova. Cost for a Polyscience cut lid for their unit was ridiculously expense. I figured for the $8.00 lid I bought, I'd try and cut myself. Hopefully won't be to difficult.

I picked up a couple Cambro Polycarbonate containers with lids yesterday. An 8qt and 18qt. I got a 3" hole saw which did a fine job of cutting a hole after I remembered it need a starter bit. Obviously not my brightest moment when after cutting the hole I forgot to take into account the flange on the back takes up some space. So a 3 1/4" is the min size hole saw you want to get for the Anova

2a6u6e9y.jpg

a8y4adyq.jpg

Now after all that I think the best place to place the unit is in the corner which maximizes the interior space. At least the lids were cheap

I purchased a polycarbonate container along with a lid for when I receive my new Anova circulator. My question is: Has anyone ever cut these lids to fit the Anova. Cost for a Polyscience cut lid for their unit was ridiculously expense. I figured for the $8.00 lid I bought, I'd try and cut myself. Hopefully won't be to difficult.

I picked up a couple Cambro Polycarbonate containers with lids yesterday. An 8qt and 18qt. I got a 3" hole saw which did a fine job of cutting a hole after I remembered it need a starter bit. Obviously not my brightest moment when after cutting the hole I forgot to take into account the flange on the back takes up some space. So a 3 1/4" is the min size hole saw you want to get for the Anova2a6u6e9y.jpga8y4adyq.jpgNow after all that I think the best place to place the unit is in the corner which maximizes the interior space. At least the lids were cheap

Thank you much, this was very helpful!