• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 1)

Beusho

So I'm stumped as to why my egg white was so runny and milky.

The whites require a higher temp than the yolks. Try a time/temps that suits your yolk prefs, then drop the egg into boiling water for a brief while to set the whites.

Or, how about looking into your poached/soft boiled eggs in a pressure cooker?

Monterey Bay area

Yes I've seen that. Good to see it again. So I'm stumped as to why my egg white was so runny and milky. Maybe a bad egg, haha?

Does the way I crack it matter? I cracked it on its side like I would do any boiled egg.

I cooked my first egg on my Anova today. Set the temperature to 63C and actually made a mistake (turned off the device instead of waking up the touchscreen - see below) and left the egg in for over 1h. I was shooting for form white and creamy yolk. For some reason I got a soft boiled egg instead. The whites where watery and only a very thin outer skin had built up. Interestingly the yolk was almost creamy. Any idea what I did wrong?

Egg cookery is not specific to Anova, so it's a bit off-topic here. There are threads on egg cookery, e.g.

All about "sous-vide" eggs and

Still looking for SV Eggs with whites set

If you desire a soft yolk and a gelled but not rubbery white, see Comparing 16'/75°C eggs and 50'/64°C+3'/100°C eggs.

And you find the table "In-Shell Egg Heating Times in a 75°C Water Bath Using Circumference or Diameter" here.

See also the wikiGullet section on cooking eggs.

Peter F. Gruber aka Pedro

eG Ethics Signatory

Yes I've seen that. Good to see it again. So I'm stumped as to why my egg white was so runny and milky. Maybe a bad egg, haha?

Does the way I crack it matter? I cracked it on its side like I would do any boiled egg.

>>I cooked my first egg on my Anova today. Set the temperature to 63C and actually made a mistake (turned off the device instead of waking up the touchscreen - see below) and left the egg in for over 1h. I was shooting for form white and creamy yolk. For some reason I got a soft boiled egg instead. The whites where watery and only a very thin outer skin had built up. Interestingly the yolk was almost creamy. Any idea what I did wrong?

Egg cookery is not specific to Anova, so it's a bit off-topic here. There are threads on egg cookery, e.g.

If you desire a soft yolk and a gelled but not rubbery white, see Comparing 16'/75°C eggs and 50'/64°C+3'/100°C eggs.

And you find the table "In-Shell Egg Heating Times in a 75°C Water Bath Using Circumference or Diameter" here.

Yeah I'm sorry about that off topic post. I've figured it all out (ha, at least for now). I believe that egg was bad/I messed with it too much in the bath. I did it again for 60 minutes and it was exactly what it should be. I also did one at 65C for 75 minutes, and then a 14, 15, 16, 18, and 20 minute egg at 75C. I preferred the 15 minute egg at 75C. I think I got my eggs figured out for the time being! I'm making eggs benedict tomorrow with sous vide Hollandaise sauce and a 75C 15 minute egg. Going to be good!

Edited by Robenco15 (log)

Hi All,

Just thought I'd write a greeting and say I just ordered the Anova on the strength of this threads excellent information on the circulator. I just joined this forum and look forward to starting my education on sous vide. I am a competent home cook, but brand spanking new to sous vide. Thanks all for the information.

Here is my unboxing video and first attempt to use my Anova.

My eyes are closed, and I'm concentrating, but I still can't see your unboxing video....

Whoops, must have forgotten the link. Here you go:

I also completed my 3h chuck steak at 135 degF. It was juicy and soft, but a bit red for my taste. I increased the temp up to 140 degF for the one that I'm keeping in the bath till tomorrow.

Edited by Sf Silicon (log)

The whites require a higher temp than the yolks. Try a time/temps that suits your yolk prefs, then drop the egg into boiling water for a brief while to set the whites.

Thanks, that explains why my egg came out the way it did. Still new to SV and have a lot to learn.

Thanks, that explains why my egg came out the way it did. Still new to SV and have a lot to learn.

I would suggest keeping a simple log for eggs (and everything else but at least eggs since they are so tempermental). Record temp, time, and characteristics. Then when you know the kind of egg you want for a dish you have a good idea of what to do. Enjoy! I know I am.

I bought a Coleman Party Stacker 48 can capacity cooler for my anova and filled it to less than 2/3. Uncovered, it got stuck at 67.4 - 67.6 C and won't go above that. So I covered it with a sheet of baking paper but steam still managed to go through that. I put 2 zip lock bags with some air (so it doesn't sink) on top and the steaming stopped. Temp went up to the set 82.2C

uvyzygu2.jpg

Just some feedback for Anova Jeff, all minor issues:

1) When the screen turns off you run the risk of shutting down the device if you touch the lower half of the screen. This happened to me when I wanted to wake the screen and check the temperature. This is not a big issue if your not using the timer. If I'm using the timer then I lose the previous settings and do not know anymore how long I had been cooking. Anyway to fix this.

Not a fix for the anova but I suggest writing the time it went into the bath on the bag, or keeping a logbook handy.

I bought a Coleman Party Stacker 48 can capacity cooler for my anova and filled it to less than 2/3. Uncovered, it got stuck at 67.4 - 67.6 C and won't go above that. So I covered it with a sheet of baking paper but steam still managed to go through that. I put 2 zip lock bags with some air (so it doesn't sink) on top and the steaming stopped. Temp went up to the set 82.2Cuvyzygu2.jpg

Make sure that your volumes are correct as max capacity is 22L if your tank was over 2/3 full you would've been beyond that.

Just some feedback for Anova Jeff, all minor issues:

1) When the screen turns off you run the risk of shutting down the device if you touch the lower half of the screen. This happened to me when I wanted to wake the screen and check the temperature. This is not a big issue if your not using the timer. If I'm using the timer then I lose the previous settings and do not know anymore how long I had been cooking. Anyway to fix this.

Not a fix for the anova but I suggest writing the time it went into the bath on the bag, or keeping a logbook handy.

I tested this and when I touch the bottom half of the screen the screen comes on but it doesn't shut off. I tested it three times and each time it was fine. I think you may have accidentally double tapped, so that second tap turned it off. Or I might have a more up to date firmware than you and this is something they fixed? I have the latest firmware available right now (is that 2.01?)

I bought a Coleman Party Stacker 48 can capacity cooler for my anova and filled it to less than 2/3. Uncovered, it got stuck at 67.4 - 67.6 C and won't go above that. So I covered it with a sheet of baking paper but steam still managed to go through that. I put 2 zip lock bags with some air (so it doesn't sink) on top and the steaming stopped. Temp went up to the set 82.2C

Make sure that your volumes are correct as max capacity is 22L if your tank was over 2/3 full you would've been beyond that.

I measured the water and it was 20.5L Just at the upper limit. (It's amazing what a couple empty zip lock bags can do for insulation) Once it got up to temp though, it didn't fluctuate even when I removed the cover to check on the pork belly I was cooking. Next time I'm preheating the water to save time and electricity.

• Like 1

I would suggest keeping a simple log for eggs (and everything else but at least eggs since they are so tempermental). Record temp, time, and characteristics. Then when you know the kind of egg you want for a dish you have a good idea of what to do. Enjoy! I know I am.

Thank you for the tips. All very helpful.

Edited by Sf Silicon (log)

ChrisBau

trim the original top to fit the Anova. once you are at temp, Im sure ( but do not have yet ) any SV heater can maintain heat in a larger volume of water once you control for heat loss: temp lost and evaporative loss.

I also use hot water from my kitchen tap to move things along. I use 'coolers' of various sizes mostly capped if not used just for re-heating.

I also use hot water from my kitchen tap to move things along.

Careful with the 'fill from the tap to save electricty' scenario. The Anova is rated at one kilowatt and will heat just the volume of water in your container. Your home hot water cylinder is far more powerful - at least two or three times more - and then has to reheat its entire capacity once you've taken your containerful out. Potentially, using the tap could cost you much more.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

and then has to reheat its entire capacity once you've taken your containerful out

yes but maybe no. its fairly new. very well insulated. the 'fresh' water added just needs to be reheated back to the set temp.

my guess is that its heat source is cheaper than electricity for that delta change. where I live at least.

but your thinking is very interesting. thanks.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I tested this and when I touch the bottom half of the screen the screen comes on but it doesn't shut off. I tested it three times and each time it was fine. I think you may have accidentally double tapped, so that second tap turned it off. Or I might have a more up to date firmware than you and this is something they fixed? I have the latest firmware available right now (is that 2.01?)

How do I check my firmware revision?

It is possible I did do a double tap, but I thought I'm sure I did not do it intentionally. My point is that it is easy for someone to do this by mistake and the result is that people relying on the timer will lose the elapsed time if this happens. With the suggested workarounds, e.g. write time on the bags or in my case tap the top of the screen, this can be avoided, but if there is a way to fix this in software that would be great. As I said originally not a major issue.

One note regarding water evaporation. It should be obvious, but I learned this yesterday, that the amount of water loss through condensation is dependent on set temperature of the bath. At 63 degC in my initial egg experiment I hardly had any evaporation. I then did steak at 135 degC and was getting more condensation. I pulled out my first steak and wanted it a bit more done, so I upped the temp to 140 degC overnight without a lid. After 8h+ I checked the water level and it had gone from about half to just below minimum. Moral of the story is don't make assumptions about water loss based on a lower temperature experience. If leaving the unit on for a longer time, make sure to cover as much of the exposed surface water to minimize evaporate and always fill the water level to the max., unless you are monitoring the cooking process. From what I recall the Anova does not have a water level shut-off. I just hope the software is set such that if it sees a rapid increase in temperatures or if temperatures go over 100 degC (should never do that, or else water will be boiling) it will turn-off as a safety precaution.

If Anova Jeff reads this, I'd appreciate a comment on any safety turn-off features of the software.

I purchased a polycarbonate container along with a lid for when I receive my new Anova circulator. My question is: Has anyone ever cut these lids to fit the Anova. Cost for a Polyscience cut lid for their unit was ridiculously expense. I figured for the $8.00 lid I bought, I'd try and cut myself. Hopefully won't be to difficult.

Here is a Cambro container which I think is polypropylene. Not as hard as polycarbonate. I would think a fine toothed hole saw would work well for the Anova considering its cylindrical shape

I used some foam type packing material to cover the gaps since this top was initially was cut for the SideKIC which didn't last very long. This foam material could be easily cut and floated on the surface of the water

y9e7avyn.jpg

• Like 1