• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 1)

Beusho

I'm back!!! - I've been at work retooling production for the past 3 weeks and leads times will be a thing of the past by this Friday....unless you want to order 1000 units.

1st - I'm working on a deal to get everyone updated to a 2.0 unit - just bear with me for a day or so until I get everything worked out my end.

2nd - Click and Hold numeric scrolling is delayed for implementation - there was no clear consensus in a small 30 unit beta I ran - some people liked it some people hated it and wanted it removed because they over scrolled. Maybe the sample size was too small but there is no clear consensus.

3rd - new timer is dual mode - first mode is like a stop watch and just beeps - the second is a unit hard stop like the original. You can also start the timer any time during the run which I think is convenient.

By the way Kerry Beal makes fantastic chocolate - I had a small sampling

Thanks Jeff! The version 2.0 would be cool to have. I won't die without it, but it would be cool to have a beeping timer.

Right now my brother is borrowing my Anova while I'm out of town for a month and he and his wife are in love with it. He's been wanting a sous vide circulator longer than I have and now that it's price point it at $200, he is looking to get one. I might be able to convince my parents to get it for him for Christmas, so hopefully you will be getting an order for him soon.

Jennifer

Apparently, I have my mom to thank for loving to cook. As she always says, "You should thank me for never cooking. It forced you to learn how!"

My unit has the 1.19 firmware...boohoo. However it is much quieter than the polysci chef series. Usually don't use a built in timer anyhow. Have a couple of timers that are stand alone, that can then be moved to whatever room I am in, this is easier imho than having to hover near the device.

After reviewing this thread I'm glad to hear that Jeff, the developer, takes user feedback into serious consideration. I'm also glad that he continues to improve and beta test suggestions. I have found some interesting ideas that may improve upon the Anova that can hopefully be implemented without adding costs.

First off, I like another person's suggestion of the timer. If the timer goes off it beeps, unit stays on and counts up after that. e.g. if I cook short ribs for 12 hours but feel lazy and would rather cook it for 14-16 hours, the alarm goes off for a few seconds at 12 hours and counts up from there 12:01, 12:02 until I turn it off. This way I know how long it's been cooking at a glance without requiring immediate attention right at 12 hours.

Have it beep briefly when the water comes up to temperature. This would serve as a reminder to set a timer (whether built-in or not) should I want to.

As any noise is always a concern to varying degrees, create 2 options: 1. reduce the pump speed and 2. turn off the pump altogether. The obvious caveat would be that this leads to uneven cooking because of temperature variances from poorly circulating water. In some applications this may not be critical such as longer sessions in an insulated container with lower temperatures.

Perhaps offer an add-on clip for shorter pots. One of the strong points of the Anova is its clamp. An add-on clip can be fashioned so it can be held by the clamp to clip to shorter vessels. This would make it sturdy for recommended vessels but compatible with shorter ones as well. If there's a strong following I'm sure other users more technical than me can design something simple to be shared so it can be printed on 3D printers.

One of the strongest features of this unit when compared to others is it's programability. Small nuances in functionality such as including a timer, removable stainless steel skirt, water sensors, directional pump and ability to recalibrate the temperature sensor really makes this outshine other comparable offerings at a similar price point. Perhaps we can see a firmware v3.0?

I think turning off the impeller on an immersion circulator is a bad idea. It needs to circulate water by design. There wouldn't be enough natural convection current to spread the heat evenly from a heater hanging by the side of a water bath.

• Like 1

I think turning off the impeller on an immersion circulator is a bad idea. It needs to circulate water by design. There wouldn't be enough natural convection current to spread the heat evenly from a heater hanging by the side of a water bath.

Yeah, not a good idea.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Yeah, not a good idea.

And honestly, I think the noise isn't any worse than a computer fan.

Edited by mikesweeney (log)

i have not ordered mine yet, but I wonder if in the future the software might include 2 speeds: slow for a small pot and the usual current flow for larger pots.

i plan to use mine also as the 're-heater' unit in a small cooler: 1 - 2 previously cooked packets in a smaller cooler.

just a thought that might not be very relevant.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Perhaps offer an add-on clip for shorter pots. One of the strong points of the Anova is its clamp. An add-on clip can be fashioned so it can be held by the clamp to clip to shorter vessels. This would make it sturdy for recommended vessels but compatible with shorter ones as well. If there's a strong following I'm sure other users more technical than me can design something simple to be shared so it can be printed on 3D printers.

1) Shorter pot = potentially less water volume. You should be looking for a greater volume of water for sous vide to smooth out temperature variances.

2) If someone really wants do this right, construct an articulating clamp that attaches to a tripod or wall mount :cool:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Anova upgrade from V1 to V2 systems

Option 1:

You pay shipping back to us and we will update you system for free. e-mail: sousvide (at) waterbaths.com for return address and instructions

Option 2:

Take this 7 question survey and we will send you a shipping label(shipping is free) for the return. http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KDLG8SB

I would advise you guys do this within the next 2 weeks before production goes into overdrive for Christmas.

• Like 1

Jeff Wu

Senior Engineer

Anova Culinary LLC

BBQ Fanatic, Organic Gardener, Organic Grape Grower

Ok so it held 64.4c perfectly and my thermapen was right in sync with it. I put an egg in a salad strainer in the bath for 50 minutes. I moved the egg a few times because it fell out if the straine. There was also a brief moment where it came out of the bath as I moved it around. When it was all done I cracked the egg and opened it onto a plate. The white was completely watery/liquid whereas the yolk was a great thick texture. Was me moving the egg around or only keeping it in for 50 minutes result in liquid whites? I thought 64.4 was enough to set thr whites. The eggs came directly out of the fridge.

The Anova is awesome. Making carrots now. Then probably another go at the egg.

I thought 64.4 was enough to set thr whites

glad you are now a student of SV eggs.

there are several threads here that have looked into your problems. look them over. you will get *** perfect *** SV eggs every time that suit you after that study.

Bon Appetite !

I thought 64.4 was enough to set thr whites

glad you are now a student of SV eggs.

there are several threads here that have looked into your problems. look them over. you will get *** perfect *** SV eggs every time that suit you after that study.

Bon Appetite !

I've read all of those threads. That's why I was so confused why 64.4C didn't work. The whites were milky, which was really weird. The eggs are brown eggs (but not labeled organic). I'm doing one for 60 minutes at 65C now. After I see how that goes I'll try 64.4C again. I just did SV carrots for dinner. A little too long in the bath, but tasted great, not enough crunch though. Anova running strong!

Option 1:

You pay shipping back to us and we will update you system for free. e-mail: sousvide (at) waterbaths.com for return address and instructions

Option 2:

Take this 7 question survey and we will send you a shipping label(shipping is free) for the return. http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KDLG8SB

I would advise you guys do this within the next 2 weeks before production goes into overdrive for Christmas.

Thanks Jeff for covering shipping if we filled out the survey! Mine is filled out, but I won't be able to ship it back for 3 more weeks. Hopefully, that doesn't run into your Christmas rush. I'm looking forward to the updated software and look forward to what changes you make in future versions based on our feedback.

I also pushed CNET on Twitter to review the Anova along side the other circulators on the market. They said it is definitely on their radar. I would love to see them put all of them through their paces and compare how each one stacks up. I'm sure the Anova will be at the top of the $200-350 circulators, especially with the changes you are making with the software.

Jennifer

Apparently, I have my mom to thank for loving to cook. As she always says, "You should thank me for never cooking. It forced you to learn how!"

Option 1:

Option 2:

Thanks Jeff for covering shipping if we filled out the survey! Mine is filled out, but I won't be able to ship it back for 3 more weeks. Hopefully, that doesn't run into your Christmas rush. I'm looking forward to the updated software and look forward to what changes you make in future versions based on our feedback.

I also pushed CNET on Twitter to review the Anova along side the other circulators on the market. They said it is definitely on their radar. I would love to see them put all of them through their paces and compare how each one stacks up. I'm sure the Anova will be at the top of the $200-350 circulators, especially with the changes you are making with the software.

The more I use it (and the touch screen) and the more Jeff seems to be interested in taking into account feedback from us, this could turn into an extremely refined circulator. The refinement of features and additional features that could be gradually introduced through the software alone is amazing to think about. I'm looking forward not to the next few weeks, but to a year from now when who knows what will be in place.

I cooked my first egg on my Anova today. Set the temperature to 63C and actually made a mistake (turned off the device instead of waking up the touchscreen - see below) and left the egg in for over 1h. I was shooting for form white and creamy yolk. For some reason I got a soft boiled egg instead. The whites where watery and only a very thin outer skin had built up. Interestingly the yolk was almost creamy. Any idea what I did wrong?

Some have commented about the impeller noise. Personally I think it is ok. Not whisper silent, but not loud by any means. I was pleasantly surprised by the water velocity. The Anova sure pushes water around even with the small impeller. To be honest I thought that small slit at the bottom to guide the water stream was way too small to be effective, but the water was moving quite fast in my pot.

---

Just some feedback for Anova Jeff, all minor issues:

1) When the screen turns off you run the risk of shutting down the device if you touch the lower half of the screen. This happened to me when I wanted to wake the screen and check the temperature. This is not a big issue if your not using the timer. If I'm using the timer then I lose the previous settings and do not know anymore how long I had been cooking. Anyway to fix this.

2) Is it possible to add C/F to the temperature settings screen? When I turned on the device for the first time I had no idea if it was set-up for C or F. I had to start it to see that I was in Celsius mode. Same thing goes for the timer set screen. Which is hours vs minutes. I was planning to set the device for 20m and was wondering if it was broken, since the timer was not counting down correctly, until I notice that I had set 20h not 20m.

3) Finally why 5m minimum timer? Why can't it go down to 1m?