• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 1)

Beusho

Sent two emails out Sunday night and this morning inquiring about my order-still haven't heard anything. I know it's a small company, but if they are going to take the funds from my account already-I expect a response.

Not making an excuse, because they SHOULD be answering emails, but I'd suggest a phone call for more prompt answers.
I took your advice and called them up. Immediate feedback! They are shipping but are currently back ordered on the red/blue and plan on being able to ship those out next week. I changed my order to black and she said it would ship today.

I had to do the same. There was a secret color "purple". Apparently mine was delayed because the work for the blue bodies was outsourced. It came back more purple than blue. Delay would be another 2 weeks. I had the option of purple or black... but I chose black.

Lookie what arrived at my house this afternoon! It is black and completely ruins my sous vide decor but I'm gonna let it stay.

I put it through its paces for an hour and now it's quietly shooshing along maintaining 63.5 C and lulling 4 chicken breasts to tenderness. It's a beauty.

image.jpg

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Well darn. I ordered mine a couple weeks too early

The new software upgrades are appealing

So far have been happy with the unit. The only food failures I've had was poached eggs the fast method per sous vide dash. Measuring the eggs with a caliper and even reducing the core temp to 62C still resulted in over cooked yolks. Not the fault of the Anova which held to the recommended temp

Lookie what arrived at my house this afternoon! It is black and completely ruins my sous vide decor but I'm gonna let it stay.

I put it through its paces for an hour and now it's quietly shooshing along maintaining 63.5 C and lulling 4 chicken breasts to tenderness. It's a beauty.

Ruins your decor? No way - that must be an enhancement!

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I'm back!!! - I've been at work retooling production for the past 3 weeks and leads times will be a thing of the past by this Friday....unless you want to order 1000 units.

1st - I'm working on a deal to get everyone updated to a 2.0 unit - just bear with me for a day or so until I get everything worked out my end.

2nd - Click and Hold numeric scrolling is delayed for implementation - there was no clear consensus in a small 30 unit beta I ran - some people liked it some people hated it and wanted it removed because they over scrolled. Maybe the sample size was too small but there is no clear consensus.

3rd - new timer is dual mode - first mode is like a stop watch and just beeps - the second is a unit hard stop like the original. You can also start the timer any time during the run which I think is convenient.

By the way Kerry Beal makes fantastic chocolate - I had a small sampling

• Like 1

Jeff Wu

Senior Engineer

Anova Culinary LLC

BBQ Fanatic, Organic Gardener, Organic Grape Grower

Yeah, I can't understand why anyone would be waiting for the Sansaire when you could get the Anova for the same price now. But that's just me. And if those are the only complaints that the reviewer had then I'm pretty content with the Anova.

220v model and very reasonable cost for sending overseas. But this is likely a non-issue for most people in this forum :rolleyes:

Otherwise, feature by feature I would choose the Anova.

lesliec,

It is a bit of a joke. Check post # 85 of this topic.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I'd say this review nails it. There are a few nagging things that could be better, but it's a pretty solid unit that does a good job. Plus, you can buy one now rather than wait for something like the Nomiku or Sansaire (which both look like good units.)

Yeah, I can't understand why anyone would be waiting for the Sansaire when you could get the Anova for the same price now. But that's just me. And if those are the only complaints that the reviewer had then I'm pretty content with the Anova.

It's actually quite simple. I live in Sweden.

It's actually quite simple. I live in Sweden.

Exactly why I'm still hesitating. I'm not even overseas, I'm just across the line in the dirt that means you left the U.S. and are now in Canada. $75 shipping just seems like way too much when the competition can ship theirs for $20. I'm not saying Anova should ship theirs for $20 if they can't but it's difficult to find an explanation for such a large difference.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

That's why I'm holding out too. I even tried to send it to my father's house in Florida, but still can't because the online process can only allow U.S. BILLING address. So I would need a U.S. address on my credit card to avoid the huge shipping difference (plus customs)

Ah. Yes, I forgot about that problem. That makes sense then. I guess you can't get the Anova for the same price as the Sansaire though.

It's come to my attention that the $75 to Canada is all in, including taxes/duties/etc. So I wasn't comparing on a level field. The difference would actually be pretty small in that case so I withdraw my previous complaint.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

duties

they still have those? no 'free trade agreement' ?

Apologies. I should have said "taxes and any other associated costs/fees". Yes, free trade agreement.

lesliec,

OK, with you now. I want a bright green one to match my kitchen!

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

That's why I'm holding out too. I even tried to send it to my father's house in Florida, but still can't because the online process can only allow U.S. BILLING address. So I would need a U.S. address on my credit card to avoid the huge shipping difference (plus customs)

Just call them - they'll take your Canadian credit card info and ship to Florida. I had mine shipped to Chicago originally.

lesliec,

OK, with you now. I want a bright green one to match my kitchen!

And I think you should hold out until you get one but remember Kermit --- it ain't easy being green--- so you might also want to consider re-decorating!

My 2004 eG Blog