• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 1)

Beusho

I have emailed Jeff [jeff@waterbaths.com], asking what the firmware update changes are (I have v1.19). I'll post his response (assuming I get one).

I still have not received a response from Jeff/Anova. The lack of communication is not encouraging.

I haven't been getting a reply to that question either but everything else has been getting replied to. Lisa has been handling the communications lately. The failure to respond to my one nagging question isn't bothering me that much as whatever it is means it is better than before and I loved basically everything about the earlier firmware stuff I was hearing so it is not making a difference to me in the long run. Just curiousity I guess.

Finally got my ship notice from Anova from my order on Sept 1. Should arrive by Tuesday. Can't wait. Has anyone ordered after Sept 1 and gotten their Anova already? Hoping all the updates have been added to my unit.

The main downside for me has been that it has taken the better part of a month for my unit to ship. I was impressed that Anova Jeff was representing the company here and providing updates, but he has been quiet lately. Another big negative is that they never answer to my emails and didn't bother updating me regarding the delay to update the units, I had to call them up. Well hopefully, the device makes up for these short comings.

I ordered mine on 9/5 and received it yesterday. I had a few of the same complaints that you had in regards to communication (also, wasn't very happy that they charged me for the unit before it was shipped.) But now that I've received it, all is forgiven.

The unit comes with firmware 2.01.

Obviously you haven't owned the previous firmware version, but do you know of any major changes or does it say anything in the manual about them? I think I should be getting that firmware version when mine comes in. I was wondering if the firmware makes it possible to adjust Fahrenheit by .1 degrees and if the unit still shuts off after the timer ends.

Thanks for any info!

Timer now allows the option of an alarm or turning the unit off. Fahrenheit does not allow .1 degree adjustments.

Finally got my ship notice from Anova from my order on Sept 1. Should arrive by Tuesday. Can't wait. Has anyone ordered after Sept 1 and gotten their Anova already? Hoping all the updates have been added to my unit.

The main downside for me has been that it has taken the better part of a month for my unit to ship. I was impressed that Anova Jeff was representing the company here and providing updates, but he has been quiet lately. Another big negative is that they never answer to my emails and didn't bother updating me regarding the delay to update the units, I had to call them up. Well hopefully, the device makes up for these short comings.

I ordered mine on 9/5 and received it yesterday. I had a few of the same complaints that you had in regards to communication (also, wasn't very happy that they charged me for the unit before it was shipped.) But now that I've received it, all is forgiven.

Wow no kidding? I also ordered on September 5th and I haven't heard anything yet. A bit disconcerting since I think I'm located nearby where they are manufactured (located in Houston, TX).

I was also disappointed that they charged right when I placed the order.

I have the container, I have a thermapen, I want to cook dammit!

Edit: Did you get a shipping notification? I'm hoping not and I'll just have a nice surprise waiting for me at home tomorrow!

Edited by nwin (log)

Obviously you haven't owned the previous firmware version, but do you know of any major changes or does it say anything in the manual about them? I think I should be getting that firmware version when mine comes in. I was wondering if the firmware makes it possible to adjust Fahrenheit by .1 degrees and if the unit still shuts off after the timer ends.

Thanks for any info!

Timer now allows the option of an alarm or turning the unit off. Fahrenheit does not allow .1 degree adjustments.

Since you seem to be the only source as to answers of the new firmware I have a few more for you if you don't mind.

Once the timer goes off, I assume you have to press a button to stop the timer from beeping (or does it only beep a few times and then stop?). Once you stop the timer, does the circulator shut off or keep running, holding the temperature?

Does it beep when it comes up to the temperature you choose?

Anything else you know of that has been changed/improved upon? Any chance of posting manual?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

1. Higher level of temp stability +/-.06C vs +/-.1C Although even for professional use, you may not need .06 accuracy. Having said that, I was cooking corned beef last night and the anova would occasionally oscillate between 80.0 and 80.1 C and a couple of times went down to 79.9 C. Doesn't matter with corned beef but it still bothered me that it won't stay at 80. No oscillation at lower temps though.

2. The anova is made with heavy duty materials with a very nice finish but I am a little worried how it will hold in the long term. The plastic has a velvety rubberized coating that in my experience with other electronics, degrades over time especially with the heat and humidity here in the tropics. My one week old unit actually has a couple nicks already. Another issue would be the joint between the main body and the stainless steel skirt- it has on occasion moved enough to get it out of perfect alignment and the skirt touched the impeller producing a grinding noise. I can only speculate that it will get looser with repeated dismantling. The polyscience chef series on the other hand is made of plastic that kinda feels cheap in texture but can stand up to more abuse.

Those are the only things I can think of now. And I'm comparing it to the $800 chef series. The creative series has lower specs.

Still, for my current purposes, I'd rather buy 4 anovas than 1 poly chef series... unless I had a really busy restaurant.

thanks!

I just noticed that the specs listed for the Anova is +/- 0.01C stability! NOT +/- 0.1C as I have written above. That would make it better than Polyscience's +/- 0.07C stability for the prof chef series (!?). Though I don't know why my 80C bath fluctuated from 79.9-80.1C

I noticed too that in the photos at the Anova website, the temperature reading resolution in Centigrade goes to a hundredth of a degree, 27.00 C in the photos. My unit only displays up to a tenth of a degree. I wonder what the temp accuracy is...

Edited by ChrisBau (log)

Since you seem to be the only source as to answers of the new firmware I have a few more for you if you don't mind.

Once the timer goes off, I assume you have to press a button to stop the timer from beeping (or does it only beep a few times and then stop?). Once you stop the timer, does the circulator shut off or keep running, holding the temperature?

Anything else you know of that has been changed/improved upon? Any chance of posting manual?

Actually, the timer doesn't seem to stop beeping and there doesn't seem to be a way to turn off the beeping other than hitting the stop/start button. Slightly annoying but not a big deal. The unit does continue to run while the timer is going off.

It does not beep when it comes up to temperature, and while that would be a nice feature, it's not necessary.

Without having the original unit, it's difficult to know the differences. It does look like the temperature calibration is easier to access from the boot screen at the beginning. The manual does not appear to be any different than the one I read online originally, but feel free to download it.

Wow no kidding? I also ordered on September 5th and I haven't heard anything yet. A bit disconcerting since I think I'm located nearby where they are manufactured (located in Houston, TX).

I was also disappointed that they charged right when I placed the order.

I have the container, I have a thermapen, I want to cook dammit!

Edit: Did you get a shipping notification? I'm hoping not and I'll just have a nice surprise waiting for me at home tomorrow!

I received a shipping notification on Friday 9/20 at 10AM.

Actually, the timer doesn't seem to stop beeping and there doesn't seem to be a way to turn off the beeping other than hitting the stop/start button. Slightly annoying but not a big deal. The unit does continue to run while the timer is going off.

It does not beep when it comes up to temperature, and while that would be a nice feature, it's not necessary.

Without having the original unit, it's difficult to know the differences. It does look like the temperature calibration is easier to access from the boot screen at the beginning. The manual does not appear to be any different than the one I read online originally, but feel free to download it.

Ooops, I fibbed about this. If you hit the area where the timer is, it does indeed stop the timer without stopping the unit.

Also, here's the burger I made with the unit last night.

BUzp9knCcAEnVbt.jpg

Ooops, I fibbed about this. If you hit the area where the timer is, it does indeed stop the timer without stopping the unit.

Also, here's the burger I made with the unit last night.

BUzp9knCcAEnVbt.jpg

That's awesome about the timer! That was the main thing I hoped they would address. Not having the option to set the degrees in tenths of fahrenheit isn't a huge deal but would have been nice. And I agree, no need for it to beep when it gets up to temperature. Was just curious since they added a beeping function for one part of it but nothing else.

Thanks for all of the info!

And it says in the new manual that you linked to that you can set the timer (when the desired temp is reached) without having to stop it running. Is that correct? Previously, you had to stop the machine then set the time.

Overall I think that's a big improvement on the timer function.

And it says in the new manual that you linked to that you can set the timer (when the desired temp is reached) without having to stop it running. Is that correct? Previously, you had to stop the machine then set the time.

Overall I think that's a big improvement on the timer function.

Yes, I can confirm you can set the timer without stopping the machine.

So the prodigal Anova has returned! It arrived about 3 minutes before I had to leave the house for work this afternoon - and I haven't had the inclination to unpack it since I got home. But Jeff did mention that while he had it that the software would be upgraded to version 2.0 which would include new timer functions, updated calibration function, new Click and Hold numeric scrolling and various internal optimizations.

Shall have to fire it up tomorrow and see what it can do.

So the prodigal Anova has returned! It arrived about 3 minutes before I had to leave the house for work this afternoon - and I haven't had the inclination to unpack it since I got home. But Jeff did mention that while he had it that the software would be upgraded to version 2.0 which would include new timer functions, updated calibration function, new Click and Hold numeric scrolling and various internal optimizations.

Shall have to fire it up tomorrow and see what it can do.

Look forward to hearing about it!

Sent two emails out Sunday night and this morning inquiring about my order-still haven't heard anything. I know it's a small company, but if they are going to take the funds from my account already-I expect a response.

in the above review:

"For those folks asking about the long-awaited Nomiku, well the makers decided not to send me a tester model when I told them I was planning a three-way comparison. Hopefully I'll get my hands on one through different means so we can make it happen within the next few weeks."

looking forward to this. if you spot this, pls indicate here or in the Nomiku thread.

many thanks

Edited by rotuts (log)

I'd say this review nails it. There are a few nagging things that could be better, but it's a pretty solid unit that does a good job. Plus, you can buy one now rather than wait for something like the Nomiku or Sansaire (which both look like good units.)

Edited by mikesweeney (log)

Sent two emails out Sunday night and this morning inquiring about my order-still haven't heard anything. I know it's a small company, but if they are going to take the funds from my account already-I expect a response.

Not making an excuse, because they SHOULD be answering emails, but I'd suggest a phone call for more prompt answers.

I'd say this review nails it. There are a few nagging things that could be better, but it's a pretty solid unit that does a good job. Plus, you can buy one now rather than wait for something like the Nomiku or Sansaire (which both look like good units.)

Yeah, I can't understand why anyone would be waiting for the Sansaire when you could get the Anova for the same price now. But that's just me. And if those are the only complaints that the reviewer had then I'm pretty content with the Anova.

Does the automatic touch screen go dark when the timer is running and/or when it is coming up to temperature? I guess I could see how that could be annoying but the Sansaire doesn't have a timer at all so they each have their pros and cons I guess.

How are you liking the Anova?

Yeah, I can't understand why anyone would be waiting for the Sansaire when you could get the Anova for the same price now. But that's just me. And if those are the only complaints that the reviewer had then I'm pretty content with the Anova.

Does the automatic touch screen go dark when the timer is running and/or when it is coming up to temperature? I guess I could see how that could be annoying but the Sansaire doesn't have a timer at all so they each have their pros and cons I guess.

I believe it does go dark while it's reaching temperature (and with the timer) but once again, it's just a small nag. Otherwise I've been pretty happy with it. Wish that I didn't need such a tall pot, but whatever. Haven't tried anything as delicate as an egg to test the accuracy, but I'm sure I can try that out this weekend and see how it goes.

I believe it does go dark while it's reaching temperature (and with the timer) but once again, it's just a small nag. Otherwise I've been pretty happy with it. Wish that I didn't need such a tall pot, but whatever. Haven't tried anything as delicate as an egg to test the accuracy, but I'm sure I can try that out this weekend and see how it goes.

The first thing I am doing is the egg! Can't wait for that.

I plan on using a cooler but I also have an 8 quart stock pot that is technically too small, but if the guy from SeriousEats has no problem balancing it and the person up this thread also did the same and use a rubber band to secure it to the handle, I'm not worried about that. Some days it will be convenient using a cooler and other days it will be convenient using my stockpot and the rubber band.

This also gives me another reason to buy a 20 quart stock pot, which I've wanted for awhile.

This is for 1.19 firmware. The touch screen goes dark after a few minutes (regardless of timer feature being used). I never timed it but it turns off after about 5 minutes. It's kind of like your computer monitor going into standbye mode when it's idle. Turning it back on is easy. Just a quick tap on the screen and it instantly lights up. I personally don't think it's a big deal. You're going to have to be close to read the display anyways. A quick tap isn't bad at all and I prefer that it turns off during the middle of the night. Also having it on the entire time risks the possibility of burning an image into the screen (no screen saver, static image).

I love my Anova so far. I do wish they did more with the touchscreen. There's so much more potential. How about a graph of water temperature vs time? I would personally love that feature.

Not making an excuse, because they SHOULD be answering emails, but I'd suggest a phone call for more prompt answers.
I took your advice and called them up. Immediate feedback! They are shipping but are currently back ordered on the red/blue and plan on being able to ship those out next week. I changed my order to black and she said it would ship today. Edited by nwin (log)