• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 1)

Beusho

Just got the black version. I have to say that it is visually more appealing in real life vs on the website. The packaging is aesthetically pleasing.

Interesting that the manual is on a memory stick, total of 15 pages.

Feel that as they were using the stick that a small table similar to that included with the polyscience could have been added. I do have the sous vide dash app, but thinking more of other users in the house.

Finally got my approval to post on EG. Signed up to EG to participate on the Anova thread. Purchase a black one on Sept 1. I still haven't received mine. I called last week and was told they are doing updates and order were being held because of this. They said that mine should ship out by Tuesday and I'll receive a ship confirmation when it does. I hope so, can't wait to get mine.

In the meantime, here is a review of the Anova on techcrunch: http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/09/hands-on-with-the-anova-automatic-sous-vide-system/

Question: I'm thinking of getting a 16 quart coleman cooler. I've seen a couple of pictures of coolers on this thread, but no mention which one they are using. Anyone try a smaller one?

16 quart: http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-16-Quart-Excursion-Cooler-Blue/dp/B000G68GW2

Any one use the 9 quart version? http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-9-Quart-Excursion-Cooler-Blue/dp/B000G62SJE/

I have 4 coleman coolers. the 9 qt is my re-heater for previously SV'd stuff or just two bags. the 16 does 2 doz eggs

the 32-36 qt does 9 - 10 bags and the 52 xtreme is for 12 - 14 bags for < 24 hours. the xtreme has a thick wall so be ware.

I have 4 coleman coolers. the 9 qt is my re-heater for previously SV'd stuff or just two bags. the 16 does 2 doz eggs

the 32-36 qt does 9 - 10 bags and the 52 xtreme is for 12 - 14 bags for < 24 hours. the xtreme has a thick wall so be ware.

Thank you.

1. Higher level of temp stability +/-.06C vs +/-.1C Although even for professional use, you may not need .06 accuracy. Having said that, I was cooking corned beef last night and the anova would occasionally oscillate between 80.0 and 80.1 C and a couple of times went down to 79.9 C. Doesn't matter with corned beef but it still bothered me that it won't stay at 80. No oscillation at lower temps though.

2. The anova is made with heavy duty materials with a very nice finish but I am a little worried how it will hold in the long term. The plastic has a velvety rubberized coating that in my experience with other electronics, degrades over time especially with the heat and humidity here in the tropics. My one week old unit actually has a couple nicks already. Another issue would be the joint between the main body and the stainless steel skirt- it has on occasion moved enough to get it out of perfect alignment and the skirt touched the impeller producing a grinding noise. I can only speculate that it will get looser with repeated dismantling. The polyscience chef series on the other hand is made of plastic that kinda feels cheap in texture but can stand up to more abuse.

Those are the only things I can think of now. And I'm comparing it to the $800 chef series. The creative series has lower specs.

Still, for my current purposes, I'd rather buy 4 anovas than 1 poly chef series... unless I had a really busy restaurant.

Anyone receive a shipment notification email yet?

I received the device in about 10 days from ordering.

Noted, but he's been holding orders back for over a week due to a firmware upgrade and said he would start shipping Tuesday (yesterday). My apologies for not being clearer.

Just ordered mine! Got the go ahead from Jeff that the updates were done and I could place an order.

They told me they are backlogged so I shouldn't expect it to be shipped until next week. I'm ok with that. Looking forward to finally owning it!

Wonder if this thread has helped to bump sells

Mine is being used at the moment to reheat a piece of smoked brisket

Wonder if this thread has helped to bump sells

It certainly has. I have to hold out for another month or so until they have a 220-240v version, but I think I'm in.

Maybe Anova could give eG a small contribution for sales made through here (á la Amazon).

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I have emailed Jeff [jeff@waterbaths.com], asking what the firmware update changes are (I have v1.19). I'll post his response (assuming I get one).

Good luck and please post. I've asked three times and didn't get a response. I'm honestly not mad about it or anything as they've been amazing about everything else. They are currently looking into shipping options for me as I won't ever be home to sign for it as gone from 5am to 5pm everyday.

I definitely bought it because of this thread. No question about that.

I have emailed Jeff [jeff@waterbaths.com], asking what the firmware update changes are (I have v1.19). I'll post his response (assuming I get one).

Good luck and please post. I've asked three times and didn't get a response. I'm honestly not mad about it or anything as they've been amazing about everything else. They are currently looking into shipping options for me as I won't ever be home to sign for it as gone from 5am to 5pm everyday.

I definitely bought it because of this thread. No question about that.

Unlike alcohol they just need a signature from anyone. They left a note on the door where I could sign and restick to the door so I didn't have to be home on the redeliver

After testing two more eggs in addition to the 63.3C egg I made when I got it, one at 65C and one at 64C, I'm confident that my Anova is perfectly calibrated, at least according to the polyscience chart here http://www.cuisinetechnology.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Temp_Ref.jpg I made 72 hour short ribs at 140F/60C which came out perfectly pink and meltingly tender, just as described. They were inedible because it smelled rancid/warmed over, but that was some fault of the cooking process and not the Anova. The Anova held the temperature perfectly (as far as I can tell) for the full 72 hours. Once I figure out what went wrong I will attempt them again. :)

Edited by AzHP (log)

1. Higher level of temp stability +/-.06C vs +/-.1C Although even for professional use, you may not need .06 accuracy. Having said that, I was cooking corned beef last night and the anova would occasionally oscillate between 80.0 and 80.1 C and a couple of times went down to 79.9 C. Doesn't matter with corned beef but it still bothered me that it won't stay at 80. No oscillation at lower temps though.

2. The anova is made with heavy duty materials with a very nice finish but I am a little worried how it will hold in the long term. The plastic has a velvety rubberized coating that in my experience with other electronics, degrades over time especially with the heat and humidity here in the tropics. My one week old unit actually has a couple nicks already. Another issue would be the joint between the main body and the stainless steel skirt- it has on occasion moved enough to get it out of perfect alignment and the skirt touched the impeller producing a grinding noise. I can only speculate that it will get looser with repeated dismantling. The polyscience chef series on the other hand is made of plastic that kinda feels cheap in texture but can stand up to more abuse.

Those are the only things I can think of now. And I'm comparing it to the $800 chef series. The creative series has lower specs.

Still, for my current purposes, I'd rather buy 4 anovas than 1 poly chef series... unless I had a really busy restaurant.

thanks!

Haven't seen it mentioned on this thread yet, but the Polyscience creative series price has been lowered to $399 both on their site and Williams-Sonoma.

http://www.cuisinetechnology.com

I already have a PS Creative series and just ordered the Anova as well and am excited to check it out. Three day short ribs are my favorite and wanted to be able to SV vegetables while the other bath was busy with a longer time protein.

Anyway, looks like the price points on the circulators are really falling and I have to think the Anova is a big player in this. Looks live SV might be coming to the masses and soon all my friends that think I'm nuts with this weird, laboratory cooking style will learn what I am talking about!

Finally got my ship notice from Anova from my order on Sept 1. Should arrive by Tuesday. Can't wait. Has anyone ordered after Sept 1 and gotten their Anova already? Hoping all the updates have been added to my unit.

The main downside for me has been that it has taken the better part of a month for my unit to ship. I was impressed that Anova Jeff was representing the company here and providing updates, but he has been quiet lately. Another big negative is that they never answer to my emails and didn't bother updating me regarding the delay to update the units, I had to call them up. Well hopefully, the device makes up for these short comings.

Edited by Sf Silicon (log)

Haven't seen it mentioned on this thread yet, but the Polyscience creative series price has been lowered to $399 both on their site and Williams-Sonoma.

http://www.cuisinetechnology.com

I already have a PS Creative series and just ordered the Anova as well and am excited to check it out. Three day short ribs are my favorite and wanted to be able to SV vegetables while the other bath was busy with a longer time protein.

Anyway, looks like the price points on the circulators are really falling and I have to think the Anova is a big player in this. Looks live SV might be coming to the masses and soon all my friends that think I'm nuts with this weird, laboratory cooking style will learn what I am talking about!

I was looking at the Creative series first because it was the cheapest PS model available. Then learned that it isn't even their design, but a relabeled competitor machine.

So was thinking of the Professional series refurbed by PS on eBay or the addelice Swid (nice specs and robust, but 220V only?) for $500-600. Thankfully I saw the Nomiku on kickstarter and from there the Sansaire and Anova. When I saw the price had dropped for the Anova I jumped in and ordered. It is a big plus for me that Anova makes professional Immersion Circulations.

Edited by Sf Silicon (log)

Finally got my ship notice from Anova from my order on Sept 1. Should arrive by Tuesday. Can't wait. Has anyone ordered after Sept 1 and gotten their Anova already? Hoping all the updates have been added to my unit.

The main downside for me has been that it has taken the better part of a month for my unit to ship. I was impressed that Anova Jeff was representing the company here and providing updates, but he has been quiet lately. Another big negative is that they never answer to my emails and didn't bother updating me regarding the delay to update the units, I had to call them up. Well hopefully, the device makes up for these short comings.

I ordered mine on 9/5 and received it yesterday. I had a few of the same complaints that you had in regards to communication (also, wasn't very happy that they charged me for the unit before it was shipped.) But now that I've received it, all is forgiven.

The unit comes with firmware 2.01.

I ordered mine on 9/5 and received it yesterday. I had a few of the same complaints that you had in regards to communication (also, wasn't very happy that they charged me for the unit before it was shipped.) But now that I've received it, all is forgiven.

The unit comes with firmware 2.01.

Obviously you haven't owned the previous firmware version, but do you know of any major changes or does it say anything in the manual about them? I think I should be getting that firmware version when mine comes in. I was wondering if the firmware makes it possible to adjust Fahrenheit by .1 degrees and if the unit still shuts off after the timer ends.

Thanks for any info!

I still have not received a response from Jeff/Anova. The lack of communication is not encouraging.

Monterey Bay area