• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 1)

Beusho

For anyone considering the polypropylene balls as insulation, USP(United States Plastic) sell them for approx $65 for 1000, instead of the polysci 400 for $99.

Yes but they're solid balls. Not so great for insulation.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

They sell both solid and hollow, both float, the solid ones just sink a little over halfway in, I'm not sure which one decreases surface area more. The $65 dollar ones are 3/4'' diameter which is a little small but you do get a thousand. You can get 1.5'' which I think is ideal but they're $180.

Edited by Beusho (log)

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”

Do you have a link to the hollow ones?

No luck with a cursory search.

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

They sell both solid and hollow, both float, the solid ones just sink a little over halfway in, I'm not sure which one decreases surface area more. The $65 dollar ones are 3/4'' diameter which is a little small but you do get a thousand. You can get 1.5'' which I think is ideal but they're $180.

the 3/4 are basically the same as those from polyscience, same size and same material, 600 more and $30 cheaper.

Can someone send me the manual (dropbox link or something)? I received my device this week. However it tells me that the PDF on my USB key is corrupt. I can see the filename but it won't let me open it.

"Anova_SousVide-series Manual 2013.8.pdf"

TIL

Can someone send me the manual (dropbox link or something)? I received my device this week. However it tells me that the PDF on my USB key is corrupt. I can see the filename but it won't let me open it.

TIL

Me too, please. Mine is older version "Anova Manual 2013.7.pdf" (and it's only 8 days old).

Monterey Bay area

TIL

Me too, please. Mine is older version "Anova Manual 2013.7.pdf" (and it's only 8 days old).

Somebody has it on Scribd. Here's the link:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/165823093/Anova-SousVide-Series-Manual-2013-8

• Like 1

TIL

Somebody has it on Scribd. Here's the link:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/165823093/Anova-SousVide-Series-Manual-2013-8

Thank you so much!

20 more hrs to go until my 72 hr short ribs are done. I can kill a few minutes reading the manual.

TIL

Yeah I've been waiting a week and a half to order mine as they are currently making "comprehensive program updates" and Jeff was kind enough to tell me when it would be safe to order. Chances are when I do get mine it will be the new model for a few weeks until they do it again, haha. Gotta love technology. I'll be sure to post the manual if it differs wildly from the manual on scribd for anyone who would like to know the changes.

TIL

Yeah I've been waiting a week and a half to order mine as they are currently making "comprehensive program updates" and Jeff was kind enough to tell me when it would be safe to order. Chances are when I do get mine it will be the new model for a few weeks until they do it again, haha. Gotta love technology. I'll be sure to post the manual if it differs wildly from the manual on scribd for anyone who would like to know the changes.

Any ideas what the "comprehensive program updates" are?

No idea wangjt. I emailed them and was told they'd get back to me. They are probably pretty busy and who knows. I also don't know if they are wiling to tell me yet. They were quick to tell me to hold off but maybe didn't want to give me all of the details yet?

Just attempted eggs and all was well for the first half hour or so until I heard strange banging noises. The eggs had been grabbed by the Gulf Stream of the impeller and were being quite violently thrown against the wall of the cambro. Both eggs suffered broken shells. Will need to figure out a way to prevent this.

Stick them inside a kitchen aid whisk attachment or just cut a part of the paper egg crate and place the whole thing in. The crate stays down and sturdy because it becomes soaked, and it holds on to the eggs.

I'm doing a couple of eggs at the moment and the KA whisk attachment is a perfect solution

One thing I've noticed is the clamp is pretty high on the unit. Too high for an 8 qt stock pot. Although the unit appears heavy enough to stand on it own I didn't want to take a chance and a rubber band worked to secure the unit to the pot handle

e9a3u9ap.jpg

Just attempted eggs and all was well for the first half hour or so until I heard strange banging noises. The eggs had been grabbed by the Gulf Stream of the impeller and were being quite violently thrown against the wall of the cambro. Both eggs suffered broken shells. Will need to figure out a way to prevent this.Stick them inside a kitchen aid whisk attachment or just cut a part of the paper egg crate and place the whole thing in. The crate stays down and sturdy because it becomes soaked, and it holds on to the eggs.

I'm doing a couple of eggs at the moment and the KA whisk attachment is a perfect solutionOne thing I've noticed is the clamp is pretty high on the unit. Too high for an 8 qt stock pot. Although the unit appears heavy enough to stand on it own I didn't want to take a chance and a rubber band worked to secure the unit to the pot handlee9a3u9ap.jpg

I'll have to try that! Does it matter if it is resting on the bottom?

The flow rate is pretty significant but what you see sticking up in the water is the corner of a zip lock bag which I removed and transferred the eggs to the wire whisk after reading through this thread

I cooked two eggs with average diam of 50 mm at 63.3C for 60 min and then immersed in 180F for 60 sec.

The white was set pretty well and only a little stayed behind. The yolk was creamy with a slight gelatinized texture

abe4usyv.jpg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

so it's ok that it is resting on the bottom of the pot?

Not sure. Didn't see anything in the manual that said there must be a space. The rubber band made it tip back a bit so it was totally flush. Figure as long as plenty was water is making its way back into the intake there shouldn't be a problem even if it was sitting flat on the bottom of the pot. If there is an issue I hope Anova Jeff will comment