• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 1)

Beusho

I've never used the timer on my SV PID controller at home and on the circulator I use at work. I use my phone as a timer so I know time is up wherever I am then I turn the SV rig off manually. Having it turn off automatically has no practical use, at least for me.

Addélice SWID = 449 Euros

better have more going for it than a timer

personally Ive never used the timer on my SV rig, but YMMV

Of course it has much more. Like +/-0,05ºC stability and heating up to 50 l baths. Just saying it is by far the best timer implementation I've seen (I have 3 different rigs) or read about. Not a reason to buy the unit, but a smart and well-implemented feature.

I've convinced my superiors to release calibration functions ahead of schedule - which was suppose to be a "feature" on the next version release.

The systems are capable of user calibration adjustment right now.

Tapping the top right corner of the boot screen 3 times will pop up a screen you will allow you to +- the temperature read. Press "0" to accept or "x" to exit. The adjustment increments are in 0.1C when you hit either the plus or minus.

Anova_LCD_interface_intro.jpg

You can make the system match any thermometer you want but please be careful when doing this.

Jeff - it looks like my unit is off by around 2º C at 55.5º C (comparing to the thermister from my SVM). This seems consistent with the observations Anna made while she was playing with the unit.

I've attempted tapping the boot screen as instructed - just takes me into the regular program. Any suggestions?

Has anyone else tried calibrating their Anova? Did tapping 3x on the upper right corner of the boot screen work?

Taking the bottom cap off the anova significantly reduces both the noise and circulating efficiency. I was initially worried that bags might get caught on the impeller but preliminary tests seem to indicate that this is not a problem. Temperature variance across the bath (tested with thermapen) never seemed to vary by more than 0.1C at 85C. With the reduced noise, it's now much easier to cook in an adjacent room without bothering me. Cooking in the same room still produces a microwave level hum which can get annoying very quickly.

• Like 1

PS: I am a guy.

Mine was apparently running the old firmware that didn't allow the adjustment. It left today on it's trip back to Texas to be updated.

I hope mine has the new firmware when it arrives. It's a looong way back to Texas from the Philippines.

Edited by ChrisBau (log)

Annoyances:

- Target Farenheit temps can only be set in whole degrees, not 1/10ths. (?)

- when specfying settings, it only goes up, and not down.

Firmware 1.19

Edited by ojisan (log)

Monterey Bay area

Taking the bottom cap off the anova significantly reduces both the noise and circulating efficiency. I was initially worried that bags might get caught on the impeller but preliminary tests seem to indicate that this is not a problem. Temperature variance across the bath (tested with thermapen) never seemed to vary by more than 0.1C at 85C. With the reduced noise, it's now much easier to cook in an adjacent room without bothering me. Cooking in the same room still produces a microwave level hum which can get annoying very quickly.

Does that bottom part serve a function? I thought it assisted in adjusting the direction the fan "pushes" the water flow.

Annoyances:

Firmware 1.19

For what dish does one need 0.1 degree precision?

Annoyances:

Firmware 1.19

If you call them and say you have a question about the Anova, they transfer you to the same Jeff that has been posting on here. At least that is what happened when I called a few days ago. He can answer any questions you have. I did ask him about the temp variance that was discussed much earlier in this thread and he assured me the issue was solved. Someone was hitting + instead of - to adjust the temperature. Since their main business is lab equipment, I sure hope they know how to calibrate temperature on a circulator.

Mine gets here tomorrow. I guess I won't be leaving the house until Mr. FedEx gets here!

Jennifer

Apparently, I have my mom to thank for loving to cook. As she always says, "You should thank me for never cooking. It forced you to learn how!"

I woke up from a 12 hour cook to discover that the impeller had nicked a bag so the cover goes back on unfortunately :(.

Does that bottom part serve a function? I thought it assisted in adjusting the direction the fan "pushes" the water flow.

Yes, you're right. But I found even without it, the water was still sufficiently stirred by the impeller to keep the bath even.

PS: I am a guy.

So the sound of the impeller is that annoying? Anyone else who owns this feel the same way?

Is a polyscience circulator very quiet?

Mr. FedEx man came about a 45 minutes ago, so I'm testing an egg right now. I have it in my kitchen and I'm sitting in the next room. I'm maybe 20 feet away. It's got a hum, but it's not loud at all (at least to me)! I'm having no problem sitting here on my computer. It's not distracting me at all. I wouldn't say it's loud.

One thing I did notice and maybe someone else can correct me or confirm it, but I'm not seeing a way to change F by 1/10 of a degree. I can only change the C by 1/10 of a degree. Am I missing something or is it just not necessary? Will .5 degree F make a big difference in sous vide or is changing by 1 degree F only not such a big deal? I guess I could just always keep it on C if I want a more precise temp.

• Like 1

Jennifer

Apparently, I have my mom to thank for loving to cook. As she always says, "You should thank me for never cooking. It forced you to learn how!"

I found the noise of the impeller less annoying than the fish tank noise of the bubbler on my other sous vide.

I turned the cap so that the stream of water was headed backwards against the corner of the container - found that there wasn't too much movement in the bath.

I've convinced my superiors to release calibration functions ahead of schedule - which was suppose to be a "feature" on the next version release.

The systems are capable of user calibration adjustment right now.

Tapping the top right corner of the boot screen 3 times will pop up a screen you will allow you to +- the temperature read. Press "0" to accept or "x" to exit. The adjustment increments are in 0.1C when you hit either the plus or minus.

You can make the system match any thermometer you want but please be careful when doing this.

Jeff - it looks like my unit is off by around 2º C at 55.5º C (comparing to the thermister from my SVM). This seems consistent with the observations Anna made while she was playing with the unit.

I've attempted tapping the boot screen as instructed - just takes me into the regular program. Any suggestions?

Has anyone else tried calibrating their Anova? Did tapping 3x on the upper right corner of the boot screen work?

Just got mine and set for 140 F, Anova reading 127 and the Thermapens is reading 125.

On a positive note, I like the speed at which it is heating up.

Has reached the set temp of 140 and the Thermapen reading is 139. On the initial set up screen 3 taps to the right corner did pull up a screen to +/- the readings. Reset and now it's matching. -0.5F seemed to do the trick and right or wrong it now matches my Thermapens

The sound of the impeller is noticeable but not a deal breaker

set for 140 F, Anova reading 127

Im not quite sure what you mean by this

but it seems the Cal. worked fine for you using the thermapen as as your ref. standard.

I wonder, not very loudly if the sound would be muffled enough by those with issues with a Cooler system with a (self) insulated cut-out top.

just wondering.

It was set for a target hold temp of 140. I was comparing the current reading from the Anova to my TP

Then once it hit the target temp I also wanted to see what the differential was between what the Anova and my TP.

I have dark meat chicken currently in the bath at 148F. Will let it go for ~3hrs then crisp up on the grill or CI skillet

5edy4yve.jpg

• Like 1

I just ordered one of these and yesterday I sent Jeff an e-mail asking if there were any new updates coming that I should wait for. no reply as of yet.

Question for everyone: Can someone supply a link to amazon for whatever Cambro container they are using with this?