• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 1)

Beusho

Got the unit back from Anna today - she didn't want to give it up - and admits that it was a mistake not to get me to bring her one back from the states!

I'm close to admitting that as well... although I can't remember if the price drop happened before or after your trip. If it happened after, I'll hide behind that as my reason for not admitting it. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Got the unit back from Anna today - she didn't want to give it up - and admits that it was a mistake not to get me to bring her one back from the states!

I'm close to admitting that as well... although I can't remember if the price drop happened before or after your trip. If it happened after, I'll hide behind that as my reason for not admitting it. :biggrin:

It happened after - but it's been made right thanks to Jeff.

Just curious if anybody has found the Anova manual online as a PDF anywhere - the one that's on the USB drive they bundle with the unit? I'd be keen to read over it before I decide whether to buy one.

If you watch the unboxing video that's been posted, near the end he goes through the manual. He stops on some pages and skims through others, but that's what the pause button is for. :raz: That's what I did before I ordered mine because the manual was the first thing I searched for on Google and couldn't find it anywhere. I'll try and post it whenever I get mine. It will hopefully ship out this week. (fingers crossed!)

Jennifer

Apparently, I have my mom to thank for loving to cook. As she always says, "You should thank me for never cooking. It forced you to learn how!"

Looks like it beeps and turns itself off. However you can run the unit without setting the timer at all. Just set the temperature and hit start and it will go until you shut it off.

Looks like it beeps and turns itself off. However you can run the unit without setting the timer at all. Just set the temperature and hit start and it will go until you shut it off.

Thank you for the reply! So what is the point of it turning itself off? Isn't the point of sous vide that you can leave food in the bath for at least a certain time but if you go over that time a little it isn't going to affect the food as much if you left something in an oven or on the grill for 15 more minutes? Also, isn't that a health hazard if it turns itself off and then the food you have in the bath sits in the water as the temperature slowly drops?

I'm new to sous vide circulators, but is this how the Polyscience also works? Once the timer hits zero it turns itself off? Thank you!

Thank you for the reply! So what is the point of it turning itself off? Isn't the point of sous vide that you can leave food in the bath for at least a certain time but if you go over that time a little it isn't going to affect the food as much if you left something in an oven or on the grill for 15 more minutes? Also, isn't that a health hazard if it turns itself off and then the food you have in the bath sits in the water as the temperature slowly drops?

I'm new to sous vide circulators, but is this how the Polyscience also works? Once the timer hits zero it turns itself off? Thank you!

Really it makes much more sense to set a separate timer. Then if you can't attend to it immediately you can re-set your timer and your food keeps on cooking. I'm curious as to how you would like the timer in the SV unit to work.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Really it makes much more sense to set a separate timer. Then if you can't attend to it immediately you can re-set your timer and your food keeps on cooking. I'm curious as to how you would like the timer in the SV unit to work.

I just don't see the reason for the timer to turn the circulator off. When you put the timer on the oven does the oven turn off? If it beeps after the 45 minutes I set it for then I know the minimum time has been reached and now I can pull it out whenever I want and know that it's cooked for the minimum time. I realize it isn't a big deal because I can keep track of time woth the watch on my arm, but i didn't understand what purpose shutting the circulator serves.

I just don't see the reason for the timer to turn the circulator off. When you put the timer on the oven does the oven turn off? If it beeps after the 45 minutes I set it for then I know the minimum time has been reached and now I can pull it out whenever I want and know that it's cooked for the minimum time. I realize it isn't a big deal because I can keep track of time woth the watch on my arm, but i didn't understand what purpose shutting the circulator serves.

I am guessing we have differing expectations of the purpose of a timer function. When I set the timer on my dryer it shuts off when time is up. When I set a timer on my counter top induction hobs they shut off when time is up. Similarly with my microwave. So I am led to expect that is the purpose of the timer function on an SV unit. You have other expectations and you are surely entitled to them. I have never tested the timer on my Demi but I certainly will sometime today to see if it too shuts off. You have aroused my curiosity.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Just so I'm clear though, an oven timer does not shut the oven off, right? Isn't there more of a hazard letting food slowly cool in a waterbath when the circulator turns off ten it not turning off and the food staying at that safe temperature.

Either way, it doesn't matter. Curious why my idea of the timer seems to be a minority though, haha. Look foreard to hearin about your Demi!

if the timer turns off and beeps that might be useful for shorter sensitive SV: Eggs and delicate fish. for those I currently use my microwave as its also in the kitchen.

Good point. But when it turns off the temperature wouldn't drop quickly enough to keep it from negatively affected the food. But with sensitive items I definitely would plan on taking them out immediately after the timer goes off. So inthat way I fon't mind it turning itself off. I was speaking more about meats I guess.

I also think the timer feature is weird if it turns off automatically. Earlier Jeff said they decided to not have the device turn on automatically after a power interruption because it was a liability issue (not sure on the details of how it is a liability). It would be consistent to make it so this device never turns on or off automatically without the user being present (except when the water level is too low). I can't imagine a scenario where I would want this device to turn off automatically and possibly have food being held at danger zone temperatures for long periods of time if something unexpected prevents me from getting to it immediately after the timer goes off. I don't really plan on using the timer feature right now since the cons outweight the pros.

At least for me, a better use of the timer would be as a "delay" before turning the device on. In this case, if I'm away at work all day and know I'll be home around 5:30, I can set it so it turns on around 5:00. By the time I get home, the water bath will be up to temp already and I'm able to immediately drop my meal in.

This was one very convenient feature on my zojirushi rice cooker and bread maker that I wish a lot of my other devices had.

Edited by wangjt (log)
  • Like 1

Just so I'm clear though, an oven timer does not shut the oven off, right? Isn't there more of a hazard letting food slowly cool in a waterbath when the circulator turns off ten it not turning off and the food staying at that safe temperature.

Either way, it doesn't matter. Curious why my idea of the timer seems to be a minority though, haha. Look foreard to hearin about your Demi!

I suspect the oven timer works as it does because it's not a functional oven timer. It's an independent timer that is incorporated merely for convenience of not having a separate timer. i suspect that professional ranges don't have a timer.

My 2004 eG Blog

I suspect the oven timer works as it does because it's not a functional oven timer. It's an independent timer that is incorporated merely for convenience of not having a separate timer. i suspect that professional ranges don't have a timer.

Actually, many ovens have 2 timers. One just is like any old egg timer, while the other actually does shut the oven off. Mine has both of those timers PLUS a Sabbath mode timer to delay the start of cooking. One is called "Oven Timer" and the other is called "Cooking Time". The Sabbath function is called "Delayed Start".

I mentioned to Jeff the idea of a delayed start on the sous vide. You would crate an ice bath and the sous vide would start at a specific time so that the food would be ready when I got home from work without having to cook for 12 hours. You don't want everything cooking that long!

Jennifer

Apparently, I have my mom to thank for loving to cook. As she always says, "You should thank me for never cooking. It forced you to learn how!"

interesting idea.

an easer one is to SV, perhaps on the week end a Big Batch Of Great stuff.

chill. keep in the coldest part of your Kelvinator

and then re heat.

you might use hot water from your tap. then re-heat those items.

you might use that time to

1) enjoy a Glass of Wine

2) make a Nice Salad

etc.

better yet:

employ a Maid, and a Chef

then tell them what you want for dinner and When.

:raz:

interesting idea.

an easer one is to SV, perhaps on the week end a Big Batch Of Great stuff.

chill. keep in the coldest part of your Kelvinator

and then re heat.

you might use hot water from your tap. then re-heat those items.

you might use that time to

1) enjoy a Glass of Wine

2) make a Nice Salad

etc.

better yet:

employ a Maid, and a Chef

then tell them what you want for dinner and When.

:raz:

Can you also freeze the items? And everything would have to be cooked to pasteurization before chilling and then refrigerating or freezing, right? That is something I could see myself doing as teaching all day during the week makes it hard to find the energy to always cook.

there are many SV theads here. look them over.

your questions are good ones, but some what ....

you can not find a better place than here to truly understand the potential of SV.

look them over when you might find the time.

The Anova is just one of many items that will help you with SV.

you have to learn the rest. its all here.

but a Maid and a Chef would be better! :biggrin:

I am guessing we have differing expectations of the purpose of a timer function. When I set the timer on my dryer it shuts off when time is up. When I set a timer on my counter top induction hobs they shut off when time is up. Similarly with my microwave. So I am led to expect that is the purpose of the timer function on an SV unit. You have other expectations and you are surely entitled to them. I have never tested the timer on my Demi but I certainly will sometime today to see if it too shuts off. You have aroused my curiosity.

I think Addélice SWID is the unit that better solves this. If you set the timer, it will time down to zero, then beep and turn on a led signal. The unit is not switched off. At the same time, a timer up is started so when you arrive you see that the time has finished and how much additional time has gone by.

If you don't set the timer at all, it starts the timer up as soon as the cooking process starts (i.e. when temperature is reached and you then click a button to indicate that you have introduced the food pouches in the bath) and will always inform you of the total cooking time, which is usually my favorite option.