• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 1)

Beusho

How easy is it to cut a rounded hole in polycarbonate? What tool does one use?

Cambro has two grades of lids. Neither is polycarbonate. Either can be cut trivially with shop scissors, a utility knife, even a cooking knife. The hole doesn't have to be exact.

This isn't rocket surgery!

This is the lid I was thinking of: http://tinyurl.com/mgjbq73

Monterey Bay area

I received an email confirmation on the 24th from Anova for the order I placed order. Since then, I've received no response to the two emails I've sent to find out when it would be delivered/shipped....

Monterey Bay area

well, another way to do this is with a cheap soldering iron ( about 3.50 at Harbor Freight )

mark carefully your 'impression' with you know a Sharpie.

go out doors and secure etc and use the Iron to melt/cut.

dont breathe too much while you do this.

:huh:

They do make a soldering iron with a screw on plastic cutting tip.

dcarch

I received an email confirmation on the 24th from Anova for the order I placed order. Since then, I've received no response to the two emails I've sent to find out when it would be delivered/shipped....

Breath deep... I know this isn't the age of patience but that's less than a week in business days for something already stated as being batch built to order and shipped end/beginning of week. Not the instant gratification of pulling something off the shelf at a store but for the advancements being made in quality:price, a little waiting should be worth it. I've waited much longer than that for shipping notices on things listed as "in stock" from some online vendors.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Breath deep... I know this isn't the age of patience but that's less than a week in business days for something already stated as being batch built to order and shipped end/beginning of week. Not the instant gratification of pulling something off the shelf at a store but for the advancements being made in quality:price, a little waiting should be worth it. I've waited much longer than that for shipping notices on things listed as "in stock" from some online vendors.

I'm not concerned with receiving it in a hurry - I just expected a response to my query(s) of when I should expect to receive it, instead of ignoring my emails.

It also would be good if they mention on their website that units are built to order, and give an estimated shipping time.

Edited by ojisan (log)

Monterey Bay area

Yeah, they should send a tracking number, be patient or give them a call, it's not easy to run a business and answer every email

Edited by Beusho (log)

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”

Cambro has two grades of lids. Neither is polycarbonate. Either can be cut trivially with shop scissors, a utility knife, even a cooking knife. The hole doesn't have to be exact.

Au contraire:

http://cool.cambro.com/Camwear_Pans_and_Lids_Food_Pans_and_Lids_Storage.ashx

And cutting a hole in one of these would approach rocket science.

I would think a hole saw on an electric hand drill would do a fine job

This is the lid I was thinking of: http://tinyurl.com/mgjbq73

That lid is too rigid. it will crack under minimal stress. The soft "transport lids" are your safest bet. Just like one of these:

http://cdnimg.webstaurantstore.com/new/70030s_sm.jpg

the Vid doesnt play for me. rats. and the price he mentions is the initial price not the current 199

hope people who see this look up the current price.

is there a URL to go to UTube to see this?

Edited by rotuts (log)

BTW those who have this item Ill ask a big favor: on the pics ive seen it says "Hot" on the device. when I get one Ill custom cut out the lid of a beer cooler so this fits with the (self insulated) lid.

does the item at the 'lid area' on a cooler get too hot to touch the plastic/foam area? would i need a work around for that?

many thanks.

is there a URL to go to UTube to see this?

Click on the youtube logo....lower right.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

So are there any more thoughts or opinions from anyone who has recently acquired and used the Anova Sous Vide circulator? Any reason to wait a few months for the Sansaire reviews to start coming in?

It does what it does competently enough that I can't see the Sansaire being measurably better enough to be worth the wait. At the end of the day, you're just buying a device to heat water accurately so there's not too many points of differentiation.

PS: I am a guy.

BTW those who have this item Ill ask a big favor: on the pics ive seen it says "Hot" on the device. when I get one Ill custom cut out the lid of a beer cooler so this fits with the (self insulated) lid.

does the item at the 'lid area' on a cooler get too hot to touch the plastic/foam area? would i need a work around for that?

many thanks.

The part that says 'hot' is above the clip. Don't think it will be a huge issue for you.

So are there any more thoughts or opinions from anyone who has recently acquired and used the Anova Sous Vide circulator? Any reason to wait a few months for the Sansaire reviews to start coming in?

It does what it does competently enough that I can't see the Sansaire being measurably better enough to be worth the wait. At the end of the day, you're just buying a device to heat water accurately so there's not too many points of differentiation.

Cool.

By the way, what does the cheaper version of the Polyscience Sous Vide do differently than the Anova? Or is it technically supposed to be more accurate, heat up quicker, circulate quicker, work with a larger volume of water? I don't know a ton about the Polyscience so I'm having trouble figuring out the huge price difference.

Thank you!

Cool.

By the way, what does the cheaper version of the Polyscience Sous Vide do differently than the Anova? Or is it technically supposed to be more accurate, heat up quicker, circulate quicker, work with a larger volume of water? I don't know a ton about the Polyscience so I'm having trouble figuring out the huge price difference.

Thank you!

http://www.sousvides.com

http://www.cuisinetechnology.com/sousvide-creative.php#3

Monterey Bay area

Yes, I did look at that.

The only performance differences I see are that the Anova circulates at 12L/min compared to the Polyscience which is at 6L/min and the Polyscience heats at 1100 Watts compared to Anova's 1000 Watts. So plus 1 to Anova for the 12L/min and plus 1 to Polyscience for the 1100 Watts of power compared to the Anova's 1000 Watts? What am I missing for a 200 dollar price difference? Or are we then looking at build quality and the size of the devices?

The polyscience came out when $800 circulators were the norm so $500 was a bargain. The Anova came out when $400 circulators were the norm so a $200 one is a bargain.

Nice. That is what I was hoping to hear. Getting more for your money is always a good thing.

I've convinced my superiors to release calibration functions ahead of schedule - which was suppose to be a "feature" on the next version release.

The systems are capable of user calibration adjustment right now.

Tapping the top right corner of the boot screen 3 times will pop up a screen you will allow you to +- the temperature read. Press "0" to accept or "x" to exit. The adjustment increments are in 0.1C when you hit either the plus or minus.

Anova_LCD_interface_intro.jpg

You can make the system match any thermometer you want but please be careful when doing this.

Jeff - it looks like my unit is off by around 2º C at 55.5º C (comparing to the thermister from my SVM). This seems consistent with the observations Anna made while she was playing with the unit.

I've attempted tapping the boot screen as instructed - just takes me into the regular program. Any suggestions?

Got the unit back from Anna today - she didn't want to give it up - and admits that it was a mistake not to get me to bring her one back from the states!

Cut the plastic lid of my cambro - used scissors - not a perfect cut - but should work just fine.

DSCN2018.jpg