• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 1)

Beusho

Docrjm

I do not think that's what they do. I say this to help you.

get the lid. look around where you live and it's very easy to get that done, locally

for a couple of really good local Cheese Burgers.

I'm not in anyway being :blink:

move to Coolers.

Docrjm

I do not think that's what they do. I say this to help you.

get the lid. look around where you live and it's very easy to get that done, locally

for a couple of really good local Cheese Burgers.

I'm not in anyway being :blink:

move to Coolers.

Questions about coolers -

When using a cooler could you just use plastic wrap or aluminum foil to cover it? How else would you cover it?

A layer of ping-pong balls.

It doesn't have to be those fancy balls does it? Regular ping pong balls work fine?

Indeed they do.

ETA: this, from Nathan himself:

One way to combat the evaporation is to use floating balls on the top of the water - such as a bunch of ping-pong balls. Lab supply places like CP, Fisher, VWR sell special ones, but ping pong balls work. However, it is much easier to use a water bath with a tank cover.

Edited by Dave the Cook (log)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Jeff

Is there any possibility that you will bring out a reasonably priced custom cut cambro lid for the 18" x 12" cambro?

Currently, I use several sheets of plastic wrap when doing a long cook.

It's pretty easy to cut a hole in a Cambro lid if you want to DIY self

its also very easy to cut a custom hole in a cooler lid. I also fill the lid first with non-expandable foam from one of those insulation

cans first. there is no insulation in cooler lids.

its very important that it be the non-expandable type or the lid will not fit back on the cooler.

much much better than ping pong balls.

but if you do not want to try this, even easier is to use plastic wrap for long SV and then some of those inexpensive synthetic blankets you can fold over.

cheap. effective. etc

Edited by rotuts (log)

Just attempted eggs and all was well for the first half hour or so until I heard strange banging noises. The eggs had been grabbed by the Gulf Stream of the impeller and were being quite violently thrown against the wall of the cambro. Both eggs suffered broken shells. Will need to figure out a way to prevent this.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just attempted eggs and all was well for the first half hour or so until I heard strange banging noises. The eggs had been grabbed by the Gulf Stream of the impeller and were being quite violently thrown against the wall of the cambro. Both eggs suffered broken shells. Will need to figure out a way to prevent this.

Put the eggs in a small open basket.

dcarch

dcarch

Good idea. Thanks.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

dcarch

can you just put the eggsi in a bag using water displacement? or put a basket over them, like a cage?

dcarch

can you just put the eggsi in a bag using water displacement? or put a basket over them, like a cage?

I don't think so.

Cooking eggs is very temperature and timing critical. Water should be making very good contact with all surfaces of the eggs for evenness.

dcarch

Oh ok, that makes sense. So either putting them in a basket or putting a basket over them would work right? I'm sure putting them in a basket works but since I can't physically see it, won't the eggs get sucked out of the basket? Or is it not sucking but pushing the eggs around, hence the basket? I'm glad I read this as this is one of the first things I want to do sous vide!

Stick them inside a kitchen aid whisk attachment or just cut a part of the paper egg crate and place the whole thing in. The crate stays down and sturdy because it becomes soaked, and it holds on to the eggs.

Oh ok, that makes sense. So either putting them in a basket or putting a basket over them would work right? I'm sure putting them in a basket works but since I can't physically see it, won't the eggs get sucked out of the basket? Or is it not sucking but pushing the eggs around, hence the basket? I'm glad I read this as this is one of the first things I want to do sous vide!

Get a small 1/9 stainless steel or plastic 4" food pan and put it in your water bath and put the eggs in them. If the eggs still move around, flip the food pan upside down in the water to cover the eggs.

Edited by EMG (log)

Ive been using the insert to a salad spinner. I havent gotten cracked eggs but its much easier to place into the water and remove. i also use it to place in the ice water bath.

I have an insert to a salad spinner that would work perfectly! Thank you that is exactly what I was trying to think of without realizing I had it!

Jeff

Is there any possibility that you will bring out a reasonably priced custom cut cambro lid for the 18" x 12" cambro?

Currently, I use several sheets of plastic wrap when doing a long cook.

It's pretty easy to cut a hole in a Cambro lid if you want to DIY self

How easy is it to cut a rounded hole in polycarbonate? What tool does one use?

Monterey Bay area

Cambro has two grades of lids. Neither is polycarbonate. Either can be cut trivially with shop scissors, a utility knife, even a cooking knife. The hole doesn't have to be exact.

This isn't rocket surgery!

Edited by Syzygies (log)
Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

Cambro has two grades of lids. Neither is polycarbonate. Either can be cut trivially with shop scissors, a utility knife, even a cooking knife. The hole doesn't have to be exact.

This isn't rocket surgery!

Au contraire:

http://cool.cambro.com/Camwear_Pans_and_Lids_Food_Pans_and_Lids_Storage.ashx

And cutting a hole in one of these would approach rocket science.

My 2004 eG Blog

well, another way to do this is with a cheap soldering iron ( about 3.50 at Harbor Freight )

mark carefully your 'impression' with you know a Sharpie.

go out doors and secure etc and use the Iron to melt/cut.

dont breathe too much while you do this.

:huh: