• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating My Way Through the Ecuadorian Fishery

• 2 weeks later...

Ecuadorian name: Leona, Leonora

English name: The closest I can come is a Pomfret of some description; it resembles Chinese Pomfret but that doesn't run in our waters....

Size: About 750 g, about 30 cm diameter

Raw. This is one of the weirder looking fish in the market, but it's also what looked best.

FishDinner-Raw.jpg

Cooked. It was smothered in apple pie filling and stuffed with Seville oranges

FishDinner-Cooked.jpg

Skinning/boning progression - I was surprised at how easily it divvied up.

FishDinner-Skinned.jpg

FishDinner-Boning.jpg

Final plating.

FishDinner-Final.jpg

Absolutely and hands down one of the best fish I've eaten since I started this thread. Soft and meaty without being obnoxiously fishy, slightly sweet, and with gigantic big bones that were easy to remove.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

And for those of you who were curious about the catch of the day as well as what the market looks like:

The market. The first few shots, which show the food court, are taken from the fishmongers. The final one is taken from the food court. Oh, and they have tortillas de Guaranda here, which are some of my fave street food!

Market3.jpg

Market4.jpg

Market2.jpg

Tortillas.jpg

Catch of the day at the stall where I bought the pomfret:

Fish1.jpg

Fish2.jpg

Fish3.jpg

Fish4.jpg

Fish6.jpg

Fish7.jpg

Fish8.jpg

Fish9.jpg

Shrimp.jpg

• Like 3

Cute round guy. On the apple pie filling - was that just to provide some flavor through the skin and discarded or was it eaten with the fish?

It did both - what was on the skin was discarded, and what was stuffed inside was eaten with the fish. Apparently the jar was taking up valuable fridge space, so dad figured it would be better to use it with the fish than let it sit another day.... Worked out beautifully, though.

• Like 1

Ecuadorian name: Carita

English name: Peruvian Moonfish, Lookdown (Selene peruviana)

Size: About 750 g across three fish, about 20 cm diameter

Raw - in the catch of the day

Catch3.jpg

Raw - single fish

Carita-raw.jpg

Cooked

Carita-cooked.jpg

Final plate

Carita-Finished.jpg

Carita are somewhat perplexing fish - the name is a catchall for any fish with a large forehead, but these are the only ones that should properly have the name.... True Carita have a big bone in the forehead instead of meat (which was a surprise to me - I wonder what the fish uses it for) very fine skin, lots and lots of bones, and tender quite strongly fishy flesh. Very tasty, but definitely a fish for either frying or the BBQ, where the flavour will stand up better. Light baking in its own juices just made it fishier.... But what's a girl to do when the stovetop is full of other things, and it's already 7:30 at night and raining?

And the catch of the day was pretty neat - there were more of last week's mystery fish, which has gained another Ecuadorian name: Chabelita. Not that it helps all that much with determining what it is I was eating.... They also apparently come in striped.

Catch1.jpg

Catch4.jpg

And surprise of surprises - someone in the market is making bacalao!

Bacalao.jpg

• Like 2

Try using some fresh ginger and rice wine (say, something like Shaohsing wine) to ameliorate/cut down on the fishiness.

It seems you always bake or fry/BBQ your fish. Do you ever steam your fish? Or eat it off the whole fish at the table (meaning you get to look at it looking back), rather than flaking it off the frame and presenting it as lumps of flesh on a plate?

Huiray: my tables are usually covered with baked goods, so I generally tend to break down fish into lumps I can manage easily while sitting on the sofa... I do steam when I have sufficient stovetop space. And more's the pity, it's nearly impossible to find good Chinese ingredients here; I could use Shaoshing wine if I wanted to pay $50 a bottle for it.

Heidih - when that bacalao is completely ready, probably. It's an acquired taste; I love it, and mom hates it, so we'll see what happens.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, I've been too busy to make it to the fish market lately! (insert shame face here) The next time I go it will be for crustaceans - I've been having a serious hankering for prawns, and they're usually quite large and nice at this time of year.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, as Rab Burns once said, the best laid plans of mice and me(n) gang aft agley….

I got back to the fish market last weekend and what really tempted my tastebuds was another crack at Cazón de Leche - the prawns were too expensive for last week's budget... Upthread where I first tried this shark, I was underwhelmed by its texture and resolved to try breading and frying it to see if that made it any less mushy, mouthfeel wise.

Ecuadorian name: Cazón de Leche

English name: Soupfin Shark (among others)

Size: 3 steaks totalling to 900g, which I divided for two meals.

The steaks. Our fishmonger of choice was lovely enough to remove the skin for us and divide them up. I hope to get a photo next time I'm back - for dividing large steaks and breaking down tuna, he uses a blade called a Pombo, which looks more like a medieval halberd than anything….

Cazon1.jpg

Floured, egged, and breaded

Cazon2.jpg

Dish one, with a side of pasta tossed in tomato sauce with parmesan cheese.

Cazon3.jpg

Cazon4.jpg

Dish two, on a bed of pasta with mushroom cream sauce.

Cazon5.jpg

I can now say that I definitely prefer Cazón cooked this way - the pan-frying with breading seems to help prevent overcooking or undercooking, and the texture this time was firm and pleasant, the way a medium-rare beef steak is (and this is the texture I go for when cooking shark).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well, no more fish for a while, folks. The market burned down last night. :sad:

I'll report back once I know what will happen with the fishmongers - at the moment they've got nowhere to store or sell their catch.

That's sad. I feel bad for the people who make their living there and, on a more selfish note, I'll miss your posts.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Darn. Sorry for the folks involved, of course. I imagine their profit margins and livelihoods are slim to begin with and this is definitely not a good thing. Please do report back on what happens next.

In the meantime, surely there are other sources of fish in the area, or is this market truly the only one for fresh fish? (Does frozen local fish exist?)

I'm so sorry to hear that. Your market looked so lovely, but I'm a market fetishist.

A few years ago, my local market was flattened in a typhoon. Bits of it were never found. Probably blown to Japan.

Fortunately, there was some waste ground awaiting development, nearby. The local government commandeered it (the joys of totalitarianism) and they built a temporary market within days.

Three years later (no hurry) the old market site was re-opened and is one of the nicest in the city. Clean, fresh and friendly. A few of the vendors decided not to return (for whatever reason) but most did.

Hope they can do something similar in this case.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Darn. Sorry for the folks involved, of course. I imagine their profit margins and livelihoods are slim to begin with and this is definitely not a good thing. Please do report back on what happens next.

In the meantime, surely there are other sources of fish in the area, or is this market truly the only one for fresh fish? (Does frozen local fish exist?)

There are other fresh fish markets in the city, but none are so large, none are staffed exclusively by the families of the fishermen (in all other markets they're generally middlemen) and none of the others keep their fish in such hygienic conditions. I will likely start shopping at one of the open-air Sunday markets and simply being a lot more cautious about what I buy….

Frozen local fish does exist, but limits me to (very expensive!) Wahoo / Ono, Dorado / Mahi Mahi, Corvina, and Picudo / Swordfish, and if I'm feeling extraordinarily spendy, shrimp. I would never be able to get my hands on, say, a frozen Carita, and something like the Chabelita would be rarer than rare. Equally, no chance at the larger shellfish, octopus, squid, or any of those fun tastes.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Your market looked so lovely, but I'm a market fetishist.

A few years ago, my local market was flattened in a typhoon. Bits of it were never found. Probably blown to Japan.

Fortunately, there was some waste ground awaiting development, nearby. The local government commandeered it (the joys of totalitarianism) and they built a temporary market within days.

Three years later (no hurry) the old market site was re-opened and is one of the nicest in the city. Clean, fresh and friendly. A few of the vendors decided not to return (for whatever reason) but most did.

Hope they can do something similar in this case.

They'll likely commandeer the Plaza Letamendi, which is a nearby open-air market that's used for fodder and small animals at the moment. For the fresh-food vendors at least this will work - the city will probably build a temporary roof over them to keep the rain off. I have no idea of the fate of the little comedores, or the fishmongers - they had very lovingly purpose-built facilities in the mercado.

As for the second-hand sellers, tinsmiths, carpenters, and furniture makers who also called the market home - they are the hardest hit, since they've lost not only their workspace but in most cases all of their inventory and tools.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hear about the fish market: hopefully it will be rebuilt and we can look forward to future fish postings

However, possibly I may be able to shed some light on the ID of the Leonora :it appears to be a Pacific spadefish (Chaetodipterus zonatus )

Regards,

htul

• 1 year later...

Well, the market has been rebuilt, but I haven't made it back yet!  However, my new next door neighbour's brother is part of the country's fleet of artisan fishermen, and every Friday night she gets in an assortment of single-person-serving sized fish, which she dredges in herb flour and fries up on her front porch and sells to the neighbourhood.

Last night's example was a perciforme of some sort; she said that most of what came in this week were "stripy fish" but it bore little similarity in flavour or shape to the Rayado I've shown upthread.  It was delicious no matter what - the photo makes it look a bit more cylindrical than it actually was; this fish was the closest in shape and flavour to actual ocean Perch I've eaten thus far.

For the curious, the sides were shredded lettuce and some kind of mashed yuca with spices thing.

FishDinner.jpg.6ee7b22090c57e666726d61a4

• Like 6