• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maurin Quina

Markm

Bought a bottle the other day. I've used it to replace the Carpano Antica in a Negroni, and put 1/2 an ounce in a Basil Lemon Drop. Curious to learn of other cocktails using Maurin Quina.

There's the Tompkins Square from PTD; an offspring of the Vieux Carré:

1oz Rittenhouse Bonded Rye Whiskey
1oz Clear Creek Kirschwasser
1oz Maurin Quina
¼oz Bénédictine
1 Dash of Angostura Bitters
1 Dash of Peychaud's Bitters

Allspice Dram rinse

Stir over ice, strain into rinsed coupe, cherry garnish

• 4 weeks later...

I made this drink. It's got the start of something good, but needs something. (Don't beat me up for using vodka, it's my wife's and its pretty delicious). Any suggestions?

1.5 oz Cherry Noir Vodka

.5 Maurin Quina

.25 Laphraoig

Splash of simple

Stir with ice. Strain into a chilled coupe.

Edited by Markm (log)

• 2 months later...

Bought a bottle the other day. I've used it to replace the Carpano Antica in a Negroni, and put 1/2 an ounce in a Basil Lemon Drop. Curious to learn of other cocktails using Maurin Quina.

I've used it the same way, as a substitute for Carpano Antica and come up with a couple tasty variations myself:

Manhattan variation-

1.5oz Rye Whiskey

.75oz Malort

.25 Maurin

2 dashes Angostura

The Malort and Maurin working together as a replacement for the Sweet Vermouth here.

Martini

2oz Ransom

.75 Maurin

.75 Cocchi Americano

2 dashes Orange bitters