• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 4)

basquecook

We've got a lot of wonderful summer squash dishes for dinner over in our Summer Squash Cook-Off here, http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145452-cook-off-63-summer-squash/page-4#entry1927702.

I was pretty happy with my take on a French Tarte Tatin using tomatoes and Zucchini-

026.JPG

• Like 1

Ann_T – Gorgeous bread! I am not a baker, so homemade bread is a thing of wonder to me.

Scubadoo – Five-spice duck sounds fantastic

Dinner for one tonight – red curry pork with tamarind, fish sauce, lots of spinach, and Thai basil, served with jasmine rice. Plenty of leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch.

p1808596679-4.jpg

AnnT -- thanks for the kind words.. the bread and yorkshires in you last couple posts look crazy good btw. The boning out technique was a bit of a revelation. It was eyeopening to find out I have been snapping the chicken thigh joint the wrong way for years. JP's tip pops it so easily and cleanly and only a small swipe of the knife to free the tendons.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Estouffade de veau á la provençale

AKly5COl.jpg

Ah, an old rural classic. Very nice.

Why Black Olives and not the usual Green Olives?

This reminds me of another dish at my parents house which I did not have for some time now: Alouettes sans tête.

Mike, Thank you.

Scubadoo, Perfectly cooked duck breast. Just the way I like it.

Thanks Bruce. I would trade you a loaf for a little of your curry.

Roast beef dinner with

Yorkshire%20Pudding%20August%2013th%2C%2
Camera
DMC-FZ18
Focal Length
37.2mm
Exposure
1/15s
ISO

Yorkshire Pudding.

Mmmmm, say you used Graisse d'Oie.......please ;)

Ann_T – Gorgeous bread! I am not a baker, so homemade bread is a thing of wonder to me.

Scubadoo – Five-spice duck sounds fantastic

Dinner for one tonight – red curry pork with tamarind, fish sauce, lots of spinach, and Thai basil, served with jasmine rice. Plenty of leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch.

p1808596679-4.jpg

Very nice dish.

Could you tell how you incorporated the Tamarind? Fresh, dried, sauce, coulis, macerated......etc?

Thanks all, for the kind words.

Ann, I wish my mother’s Yorkies looked like yours!

Could you tell how you incorporated the Tamarind? Fresh, dried, sauce, coulis, macerated......etc?

Seedless tamarind, break off a hunk and soak in warm water for a few minutes, mash with fingers to extract pulp from solids, and then strain. I added some of the tamarind paste with the coconut milk, and then added more while doing the final sour, sweet, salty balance.

I usually make a big batch of tamarind paste and freeze the extra in an ice cube tray, but not this time.

Lawless Cooks

that lamb looks perfect! as does the whole plate

what were you times and temps for the SV?

many thanks

I sealed it with a little bit of microplaned garlic and some butter. I put it in a 135F bath for about 1:15 but that was more for convenience and was only planning on about 50 minutes.

Turned out great! Getting the loin of lamb from a butcher was the hardest part. Not sure if i wasn't using the right language, but they finally got me half a saddle and I had to do a ton of trimming to get a lean loin out of it. Probably was only about a pound and a half once I get it cleaned.

Definitely going to try it again. Maybe a little less garlic next time because it was pretty powerful. Maybe add some lemon zest in the bag?

Edited by Lawless Cooks (log)

Lawless:

thanks for the info. Ill file it away.

if you enjoy lamb, and have interest and decent knife skills: consider a leg of 'spring' lamb, ie a younger one for starters.

bone it out if it has a bone, and carefully remove as much 'tendonous' stuff as you can stand.

then season lightly with very little salt but herbs of your choice the inner parts and roll up and then SV.

Lamb fat Im +/- about, so I trim that off.

you would be surprised at the result. i do it rare as possible the a sear for the final prep

Lawless:

thanks for the info. Ill file it away.

if you enjoy lamb, and have interest and decent knife skills: consider a leg of 'spring' lamb, ie a younger one for starters.

bone it out if it has a bone, and carefully remove as much 'tendonous' stuff as you can stand.

then season lightly with very little salt but herbs of your choice the inner parts and roll up and then SV.

Lamb fat Im +/- about, so I trim that off.

you would be surprised at the result. i do it rare as possible the a sear for the final prep

That was actually on my list to try SV - definitely will try, thanks!

Grilled chicken escabeche – Chicken thighs, charcoal-grilled after marinating with pureed garlic, cider vinegar, olive oil, canela, cloves, and Mexican oregano. Sauce of extra marinade simmered with chicken stock.

Grilled zucchini – With olive oil, S&P, and cider vinegar

Mexican red rice – Shortcut version, with chicken stock and mild salsa

p1859075171-4.jpg

• Like 1

Estouffade de veau á la provençale

AKly5COl.jpg

Ah, an old rural classic. Very nice.

Why Black Olives and not the usual Green Olives?

This reminds me of another dish at my parents house which I did not have for some time now: Alouettes sans tête.

The recipe I followed called for taggiasca, and since they are my favorite olive, which I already had a container of in my fridge, I did not object.

From the last days:

Fillet mignion (sous vide), choucroute, beef sauce and gratin of potatoes

x5t6pc.jpg

Duck breast (sous vide), sauce gastrique with orange, brussle sprouts, pickled beetroot, celeriac puré

4ljeoy.jpg

Don't know if this belongs here since it's a dessert, but while we're on the subject, sous vide pear poached in ginger/vanilla with a lime sabayonne.

2dsrcc4.jpg

• Like 2

Nice plating cookalong - sounds delicious too. Care to share more details on the poached pear?

Thank you!

Sure thing. I use Conference pears (peeled, base trimmed, cored). I poached them in a mixture of fresh pear juice, fresh ginger juice, vanilla seeds/pods and sugar (about 4dl of pear juice, 0.5dl ginger juice and 100g sugar, and 5 pears in a large sous vide bag).

I cooked the pears in the liquid for about about 5 hours at 80C (the pears were a bit unripe, usually 3 hours do the trick). Then I chilled them in the bag and refridgerated. Took them out of the fridge about 30 minutes before serving to let them come to room temperature.

I can really recommend sous vide pears. Sweet and tender, but still a bit al-dente and they retain their shape perfectly. I've done it with red wine/spices too and it worked very well. Thinking about poaching them in rhubarb juice, sugar and grenadin next.

Edited by cookalong (log)