• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 4)

basquecook

Davidkeay, you will most likely be on the g train line and can take the train to Paisanos on smith. In a bind you can always head to Greene grape provisions.

Edited by basquecook (log)

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of all the elements together, but here are a few individual shots of dishes that made up for a great, over-indulgent recent meal. Tomahawk ribeye, fondant potatoes, and grilled prosciutto wrapped asparagus.

QvIVENbl.jpg

gWVAv22l.jpg

AaR6I9Ml.jpg

B4YWWvCl.jpg

ZsOYezNl.jpg

• Like 4

I was a bit taken aback by the prices when I've ducked into Della Pietras, compared to what I pay at heritage meats or albanese. I'm about to move from the LES to clinton hill, and am worried that I'll have to travel pretty far for meat. I guess it'll be an excuse to bike to manhattan, though I'm sure I'll find god places out there too!

he name of the Butcher is Della Pietra's.

Davidkeay, you will most likely be on the g train line and can take the train to Paisanos on smith. In a bind you can always head to Greene grape provisions.

http://brooklynheightsblog.com/archives/62260

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/2013/09/della_pietras_gourmet_meats_open.php

"Those looking to feed the masses with cheap eats will probably defer to Key Foods, Trader Joe’s or one of the halal butchers along the bustling section of Atlantic Avenue where the store makes it home."

Hmm?

Oh, mm I can eat the whole pan!

basquecook, nice steak! I need to go to that butcher. I tried fleischer's the other day.

Anybody has seen secreto pork cut in any od these butchers mentioned? They are all very closed to me.

Morkai, also your steak looks great!

Furzzy, thanks on the tip on D'artagnan duck fat. Was always in my fridge in France and need to stock on fats.

Edited by Franci (log)

I made this with red, orange and yellow peppers, extra garlic, and extra white wine. Served with Parmigiano Reggiano. So simple, yet so delicious, with a distinct, well-rounded taste. It's too bad I don't have a photo - it's so pretty and colorful.

Sweet Peppers With Pasta:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sweet-Peppers-with-Pasta-102237

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Some dinners from the past week. Spatchcocked poussin marinated in ras-el-hanout and youghurt overnight then cooked flat under a brick. Served with baba ganoush and couscous.

IMAGE_46.jpeg

20130915b.JPG

Chicken karaage, miso aubergines and veg:

20130919b.JPG

More veg (celtuce) with Chinese liver sausage, twice cooked pork and salt cod lap cheung fried rice:

20130926b.JPG

• Like 4

Prawn, the food looks great. You have wonderful natural light in your house.

Thanks, but I wish! The evenings are dark now at 7pm when we usually sit down for dinner in the kitchen. The first pic is my prep area and is lit from a strip light under the cupboard above. The other three I've used the flashgun on my camera bounced off the ceiling. Comparing them side by side I can see now that the colour balance is different on all three.

Been too long since I've posted. AMAZING stuff everyone! I haven't been using my smoker enough so... Baby backs, smoked maple beans, collards and mac n cheese. My roommates are spoiled.

Yeah... time to sleep...

1380313_10152241057929908_1187815883_n.j

Edited by ScottyBoy (log)
  • Like 4

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Hanging out solo with our daughter these last few nights. My wife is out of town.. She was adamant in her request for buffalo wings. Her favorite in town right now are at Dram Shop. She always asks to stay home for dinner but, when I asked her two days ago, if she wanted to go out or stay home, she paused for a moment. I detected a hint of doubt in my cooking abilities. She said, well, how are you going to cook them? Are they going to be the big pieces of chicken or the little wings? My response said, I am going to cook them they way they do at Dram Shop. She was also pretty concerned with the blue cheese dressing. I made sure to make it two days in advance in order for the flavors to meld properly..

The morning of, i placed the wings in a brine of salt water.

My built in deep fryer need oil so, I decided to go the old fashion way.

9965879606_bdfe32b8bd.jpg

Flour the chicken. I think it's important to let the wings sit for at least an hour with the flour on. This way the flour becomes part of the skin.. Instead of an outer layer that all comes a part in one piece.

9966005433_81992cfbe1.jpg

Blue cheese and vegetables.

9965872516_8648cf55f2.jpg

Cooked them for around 7 minutes with the temp close to 400.

They came out perfectly crispy, I tossed in sauce.. The first batch I got a little over zealous with the sauce. I adjusted. I cooked them 6 at a time which allowed us to eat them perfectly hot out of the fryer with each batch.

I am not out of my mind, I just happened to have a small bag of chopped chives in my fridge left over from earlier this week.

Wingers.

9965835764_87f889dfee.jpg

The result, better than dram shop on the wings, she felt my blue cheese dressing tasted more like blue cheese than Dram and she preferred it to taste more like sour cream. Can't win them all.

• Like 2

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

I want to eat that steak dinner.

Thanks all.. The wings, were tossed in franks wing sauce with a pad of butter. My favorite commercial buffalo wing sauce is from the anchor bar but, I haven't used that in years. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it had zero calories in the contents. Not that it was health food but, even still. The Frank's wing sauce does taste different than their regular sauce.

That's the place. It's a car ride and a whole process.. It wasn't too difficult and I am happier to be in the comfort of my home. I got home at 6 and we were eating by 715. Not to mention, it was probably 50 dollars cheaper staying home. With perhaps, 12 minutes of prep time.

• Like 1

So many lovely meals posted here!

Time for me to catch up again! Haven't been making any thing new or special, just tried and true comfort food.

image.jpg

Chicken Thigh and Carrots Braised in Sherry Vinegar Sauce with Buttered Corn

image.jpg

Grilled Pork Steak and Black Beans with Pico De Gallo

image.jpg

Panko Crusted Chicken Strips and Broccoli Florets with Asiago Garlic Cream Sauce

image.jpg

Meat Loaf and buttered Carrots and Peas with Onions

image.jpg

Pecan and Panko Crusted Chicken with Dijon Mustard Sauce, Broccoli Mornay with Panko, and Buttered Corn

image.jpg

Grilled Montreal Steak Seasoned Beef Rib Eye and

image.jpg

a salad of Spring Greens, Cucumber, Tomato, Mushroom, and Red Bell Pepper with Ranch Dressing

image.jpg

Grilled Wings tossed in Sriracha Butter Sauce

image.jpg

Meat Sauce on Spaghetti, topped with grated Asiago.

• Like 3

I've made this once before. I liked it so much, I made it a second time. Poularde (fattened hen) is stuffed with a generous slice of pre-cooked foie gras, then cooked on the bone, sous vide for 1.5 hours at 65ºC. In the bag is beef consommé, truffle juice, a peel of preserved lemon, and a pinch of fleur de sel. The infusion of this flavor into the chicken is truly delicious. The sauce is perhaps one of the best chicken sauces I've tasted. Cook the carcass in beef consommé for an hour and a half, then add to a roux with a little truffle juice and the flesh of a preserved lemon. Cook until syrupy, pass, then add some whipped cream, and finish with foie gras butter (mix equal part cooked and sieved foie gras with softened butter).

SYAZWnYl.png
zGbLYX6l.png
Turnips are steamed, stuffed with a mixture of chanterelles, swiss chard stems and bacon.
WadmHMal.png
Some chanterelles are cooked on the side, á la créme.
RQEw5QTl.png
M9ck9dml.png
0BiDWWSl.png
  • Like 5

OMG, why do I always end up following mm84321?

Beef stuff of some sort - I can't recall what exactly it was, just that it was really really tasty.

BeefStuff.jpg

A mushroom-fried take on Chicken and Taters

ChickenNTaters.jpg

Pomfret cooked in its own juices with applesauce and oranges, and of course the obligatory carrots

FishDinner-Final.jpg

And for dessert, an obscene amount of cheesecake, none of which I actually got to eat :hmmm: .

Chscakes.jpg

• Like 3

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)