• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 4)

basquecook

Looks delicious, rarerollingobject.

Roasted poularde, girolles á la créme, sauce vin jaune. I cook the breasts on the crown, after salting a day in advance (this time 2 days, since I decided to eat fish yesterday), first by browning in olive oil over a relatively high heat, then turning, adding a bit of butter, a crushed clove of garlic and baste. I then remove the chicken to a rack and put it into a 420ºF degree oven for around 12 minutes. During this time, I baste with the cooking butter maybe 3 or 4 times. I let the chicken rest, tail side up, for 45 minutes. At this point, the chicken has fully rested, and the meat is around room temperature. I remove the breasts from the bone. The innermost portion of each breast's tenderloin should be slightly undercooked. I place the breasts, flesh side down, in a pan over medium heat with a little fresh butter and the garlic it cooked with. Baste for 20-30 seconds, and then straight into a 500ºF oven to reheat for 1-2 minutes, depending on the size of the breast. It is this way I have found the most succulent and perfectly tempered chicken breasts.

QvfAIB0l.jpg

lagZSHQl.jpg

• Like 2

Here are a few of my recent meals (the ones that aren't cuppanoodles :blush: )

Beef tenderloin in red-wine mushroom gravy, cheesy mashed potatoes, obligatory carrots.

BeefBurg.jpg

Corvina Plateada on a bed of noodles with mirepoix and pepper cream sauce

CorvinaPlat-Finished.jpg

What we call PhD Pizza (Piled high and Deep). This one had salami, pepperoni, ham, chorizo, and tenderloin chunks, red and green peppers, black olives, mushrooms, and celery.

PHDPizza.jpg

And because those were heavy meals, a nice Tuna Salad (not quite a Niçoise) with Uvillas and various pickled things.

TunaSalad.jpg

• Like 3

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Pork chops with chipotle-tomato sauce and honey – Made a big batch of the sauce (roasted garden tomatoes, roasted garlic, and chipotles en adobo, pureed with a little black pepper, cinnamon, and Mexican oregano). Baked thick bone-in pork chops with the sauce and removed. Simmered the sauce to concentrate, brushed the chops with a mixture of sauce and honey, and then baked briefly at 500F.

Served with warm flour tortillas and salad. The remaining chipotle-tomato sauce should show up later this week.

p2136737845-4.jpg

• Like 3

gfweb that sounds delicious... I think I may try some sort of apricot glaze soon.

Recently I made some japanese-ish pulled pork sandwiches. I started by simmering some soy sauce, mirin, sake, beet juice, roasted chicken meat, onions, garlic, ketchup, and miso paste until it was thick. Then I pressure cooked some pork shoulder with the sauce and some stock. After 30 minutes, I removed the meat and reduced the cooking liquid to a syrup, and mixed it with the shredded meat. I made a sandwich with cured cucumbers, cilantro, srirachi sauce, and hawaii rolls (rutabaga-miso puree & coconut mousse on the side).

tumblr_mt8wu3JrJR1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Baselerd (log)
  • Like 2

Depending where the tuna was caught and which species are fished, the amount of myoglobin in the muscle may vary. This is why the colour of the flesh varies from pink to red.

No. it depends on what they eat.

That is true for salmon, but not for tuna. Salmon pink comes from carotenoids, which in turn come from eating krill. Tuna pigmentation is from myoglobin. For those who don't know, myoglobin is the muscle equivalent of haemoglobin. It consists of four protein moeities surrounding a central haem moiety, which contains iron in its Ferric state - hence the red colour. The amount of myoglobin deposition in muscle is governed by genetic and environmental factors - principally how much aerobic exercise the muscle is subjected to.

I suppose an extremely iron deficient tuna might turn out pink, but it would probably be dead first.

• Like 1
There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Some countries have banned the practice but there is a thriving business of treating tuna with carbon monoxide to set the bright colour of the myoglobin. Generally even when it is still considered fresh, tuna can start to turn brownish as it is exposed to oxygen . treated with carbon monoxide it will keep its pink or red colour well past the point that it should be eaten.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

mm84321 - Beautiful bird. Thanks for the description for your cooking technique. If I can find a smallish chicken at the farmers market I will give it try.

Baselerd - Another great looking dish. The rutabaga-miso looks very interesting as does the coconut mousse. Is the mousse savory or sweet?

rotuts - The bacon wrapped legs are meant to be a fun dish. They are quite meaty with the addition of the lean pork sausage stuffing. I can skin and debone chicken legs in about 30-40 seconds so it goes pretty quickly and economically.

The school year has started and the home kitchen is back open. Last night did a simple "Thai" marinade on a red snapper. Fish sauce, lime juice, palm sugar, garlic, type jobby. Pour over snapper and then baked in foil for 45 minutes or so.

9784070465_1e73042283.jpg

Served with broccoli roasted like cauliflower.

9784075005_bc2f8f2225.jpg

healthy, two minutes of prep time, pretty cheap too.

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 2

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Labor Day Cooking

Did a bunch of cooking upstate in the Berkshires .

On the way up Friday, we stopped by Arthur Avenue in the Bronx. It is the move, I wish I had been doing for years. A new tradition for certain. I picked up a leg of lamb, a large rack of pork, salamis, mortadella, prosciutto, buratta, ricotta, pecorino with black pepper, sweet and hot sausages, a sausage with broccoli rabe and cheese, broccoli rabe, kale, smoked ham hocks, 5 year gouda, truffle tremor, duck sausages, beautiful bread and some beans.

The eating started at around 1 in the afternoon, the last guest left, well the next day after we made eggs in purgatory with sausages, broccoli rabe, mozzarella and pesto and lamb sandwiches.. While drinking a slew of various Rieslings. We started with Bio Dynamic young whites and finished with the 10 and 15 year olds.

I have very little photos of what went on.

Sausage and cheese: This looks like it was a left over platter

9655531202_40ccdb397a_z.jpg

The making of Miss A's garlic bread:

9652285633_010971ee52_z.jpg

9651833432_05056f4cab_z.jpg

Roasted red and golden beets. Tossed in a vinegar dressing. Topped with a gremolita, parsley, garlic, lemon, lemon juice, olive oil, red pepper. Topped with tons of black pepper and goat cheese.

9648610299_01805e3b7c_z.jpg

Tomato with mozzarella and buratta.

9648597473_d64fa81c19_z.jpg

Kale and ham hock:

9648592369_4697e6b953_z.jpg

A few flank steaks cooked on the green egg:

9648582015_e17da575d8_z.jpg

Broccoli rabe and sausages. It's 3.5 lbs of sausage and perhaps 10 bunches of broccoli rabe.

9657510175_bfc21be6a8.jpg

Lamb and Pork Roast: The lamb we covered in garlic and marinated for 24 hours.. We served a yogurt sauce with the lamb and a tarragon pesto with the pork. Pork was brined for a day. Cooked on the green egg. The lamb was also cooked on the egg. Pork was taken out at 120 lamb was taken out at 115

9652303437_365950d45f_z.jpg

Not pictured was homemade gnocchi in red sauce.

We also had three different birthday cakes.

Peanut butter and jelly, key lime pie and chocolate mousse.

• Like 3

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Attended a farewell party for friends, hosted by another good friend. It was like a come 'n'go (except no one "go - ed") and finger food was the menu. I took my Moroccan Spiced Beef Cigars, the most substantial item on the table. Took a total of three hours from start to finish. The 42 pieces took a few minutes to crisp and warm up (made last night), and a few minutes to be devoured!

Served with Mango Chili sauce and salsa.

CigarsTray0920.jpg

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Hi Dejah -- I can't remember if I ever came on this thread to tell you, but quite a few months ago I made your spiced beef cigars for party and they were a huge hit. Thanks for reminding me of the recipe -- I'll have to make them again soon!

Emily

A recent late dinner:

• Cauliflower florets & sliced long brinjals§ stir-fried w/ smashed garlic, “luscious soy sauce” [Kim Lan], and ryori-shu [MRT] (plentiful amount; also for deglazing the pan & creating the sauce). The brinjal slices sort-of semi-melt into the sauce.

• Beef shin braised w/ bamboo shoots, fresh tung koo and fresh muk yee, left to steep/mellow for >24 hours. See here for details, scroll down the post a bit.

• White rice (Basmati).

§ Asian/Chinese/Indian type long eggplants (brinjal), one dark purple and light purple were cut into elongated elliptical slices, soaked for a bit in water w/ salt & white vinegar added, drained, rinsed, patted dry, then fried gently in vegetable oil till lightly browned on both sides, reserved; then added to the stir fry (separate pan) after the cauliflower had been tossed w/ the garlic in hot oil for a short while.

DSCN9515a_1k.jpg

DSCN9518e_1k.jpg

• Like 2