• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 4)

basquecook

Can't really know yet. Last year, the price for black hovered around $790/lb, if I recall correctly. Of course, that price fluctuates on an almost weekly basis, and will spike around the holidays. The best time to buy black truffles are the months of January/February when they are at their peak, in terms of quality, and least expensive.

Any cheaper for delivery to the UK? It's closer and we don't need to pay any food taxes for it!

I haven't dealt with anyone that distributes in the UK. I can ask come truffle season, though.

• Like 1

"------My mum is Hakka from the New Territories, ----"

Amazing! Enjoy your cooking always! Something different about your cooking fascinates me. Now I can understand a little better.

I came across this a while back, and I had wondered if these Hakka people have unique food traditions:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=732&q=hakka+house&oq=Hakka+&gs_l=img.1.6.0l10.2467.3723.0.8869.2.2.0.0.0.0.81.144.2.2.0....0...1ac.1j2.26.img..0.2.142.ew5R_zXwDII

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

Bingo! Thanks. I've been eating it thinking its like a really succulent tasty romaine lettuce. It's exactly like this from one of the google searches http://kitschow.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/384-blanched-choy-with-oyster-sauce.html

My mum is Hakka from the New Territories, she does grow that veg out until the stalks are pretty thick. It's delicious. So what would be the most common English name for it? A Choy or Sword lettuce?

Thanks for the response. I guess both names are applicable and probably depends on where one is.

ETA: There is another name/type - celtuce - although the leaves for this are more romaine-like in general or at least less spiky with few side-lobes if any, and the Chinese name(s) is/are different (i.e. not "麥菜"). Linda Lau Anusasananan in her cookbook "The Hakka Cookbook" (pg 251, in section: 'The Hakka Pantry') refers to celtuce and lists the alternative names as "Chinese lettuce, A-choy, stem lettuce, celery lettuce, asparagus lettuce". In the end they all may be just variants of each other!

Edited by huiray (log)

I came across this a while back, and I wondered if these people have unique food traditions:

Without wishing to stray too far off topic, let me quickly say that most of those Hakka (客家 - kè jiā) houses have long gone and the few which remain turned into Disney-esque tourist traps.

There were once several distinctly Hakka dishes, but most have been incorporated into general Chinese cuisine. At least the good ones!

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Bingo! Thanks. I've been eating it thinking its like a really succulent tasty romaine lettuce. It's exactly like this from one of the google searches http://kitschow.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/384-blanched-choy-with-oyster-sauce.html

My mum is Hakka from the New Territories, she does grow that veg out until the stalks are pretty thick. It's delicious. So what would be the most common English name for it? A Choy or Sword lettuce?

Thanks for the response. I guess both names are applicable and probably depends on where one is.

ETA: There is another name/type - celtuce - although the leaves for this are more romaine-like in general or at least less spiky with few side-lobes if any, and the Chinese name(s) is/are different (i.e. not "麥菜"). Linda Lau Anusasananan in her cookbook "The Hakka Cookbook" (pg 251, in section: 'The Hakka Pantry') refers to celtuce and lists the alternative names as "Chinese lettuce, A-choy, stem lettuce, celery lettuce, asparagus lettuce". In the end they all may be just variants of each other!

Celtuce is wonderful. We can't get it too often, but on occasion one of the large Asian markets in town will have it. The leaves are not so exciting, but the stems are so delicious.

that brie looks so good, with those baguettes. luck you!

Thanks Rotuts

Huiray, Sirloin Cap is new to me this year. It has become a favourite cut of beef.

Thanks Bruce. You always have the most wonderful combinations. Makes my mouth water.

Cookalong, Not sure which I want more, the beef or the saddle of lamb. Both perfectly cooked. Might have to go with the saddle so I could have the potato gratin.

Sushi%20Take%20out%20September%2013th%2C

Take-out Friday night. - All tuna.

Baked%20Halibut%20Italian%20Style%20Sept

Saturday night - Picked up Fresh Halibut on the way home from work. Baked Italian style.

• Like 1

Thank you, Ann. Tuna is my second-favorite sushi after smoked eel (which is probably why Prawn’s grilled grilled unagi looks so very tasty).

A case of ripe mangos inspired tonight’s dinner, cooked entirely by Mrs. C.

Mango grilled chicken – Salsa of diced mango, cucumber, red onion, garlic, mint, lime juice, and olive oil. Half of the salsa was set aside, and the other half pureed to marinate chicken breasts before grilling on the Big Green Egg.

Watermelon, tomato, and mango salad – with basil and lime juice, probably some other things. This was completely fantastic, mainly because the heirloom tomatoes are some of the best we have ever grown.

Babaghanouj – Made with Asian (skinny purple) eggplants on the Egg, this was particularly clean-tasting.

Baked potato

p2012410490-4.jpg

• Like 3

I have been prepping some food for my friends 60th birthday next weekend. I use a Weber kettle and cooked two butts yesterday and two today. Dinner tonight was a little poaching from the grill.

Dry rub pork butts smoked with pecan wood and grilled for ~12 hours.

P1020074(1).JPG

Ten hours over the grill and then about two hours in foil to relax.

P1020075(1).JPG

P1020081(1).JPG

I also prepped 17 chicken legs (drumsticks) that I skinned, deboned, stuffed with sausage, "meat glued" some bacon, and cooked sous vide. Definitely a separate post.

P1020067(1).JPG

Edited by Steve Irby (log)
  • Like 3

Sushi%20Take%20out%20September%2013th%2C

Take-out Friday night. - All tuna.

I'm curious: I've never seen tuna that 'pink' before - is it just the photo or was it really that light in color? Or is this a different kind or grade of tuna that I've just never seen?

• Like 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Tuna belongs to a genus, meaning that the different types of tuna are related but may not interbreed successfully. The common names of some tuna species include albacore, skipjack, bluefin, blackfin, yellowfin, etc. Depending where the tuna was caught and which species are fished, the amount of myoglobin in the muscle may vary. This is why the colour of the flesh varies from pink to red.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Depending where the tuna was caught and which species are fished, the amount of myoglobin in the muscle may vary. This is why the colour of the flesh varies from pink to red.

No. it depends on what they eat.

See what happens if you eat too much carrots.

dcarch

Depending where the tuna was caught and which species are fished, the amount of myoglobin in the muscle may vary. This is why the colour of the flesh varies from pink to red.

No. it depends on what they eat.

See what happens if you eat too much carrots.

dcarch

Wait a minute...tuna are eating carrots now? Mind = blown.

;)

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

wow. why de-boned legs? after all, you just get dark meat after all

that. the meat 'falls apart'

why not thighs, that have more meat?

just a thought. sometimes one can get boneless thighs on sale. its

not free range stuff, but lends it to adaptions as you have done.

I no long deep fry.

maybe these puppies would enjoy the Gas Fired Tandoor instead?

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145630-cooking-with-the-char-broil-oil-less-big-easy-fryer/

I can this on a long skewer with several of this tight in a row.

Youve given me interesting ideas!

thanks

Edited by rotuts (log)