• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 4)

basquecook

Perhaps you would get more feedback if you posted this in the Chinese cooking forums.

Nah, I think I'll leave it here - especially in light of the spirit of the tentative new "digression allowed on threads" discussion going on. It might also suggest to some that one could think about other "Chinese Regional Cuisines" or even SE Asian adaptations of "Chinese Cuisine" to try other than "largely" Szechuanese, perhaps, when whipping up their next dinner?

For those who are interested, here are links to the publisher's website relating to the books mentioned in that "Heritage Cookbook Series" referred to above, which also give peeks into the books. (Click on "View Sample")

http://www.epigrambooks.sg/madam-choys-cantonese-recipes/

http://www.epigrambooks.sg/irenes-peranakan-recipes/

http://www.epigrambooks.sg/uncle-laos-teochew-recipes/

http://www.epigrambooks.sg/madam-krishnans-south-indian-recipes/

http://www.epigrambooks.sg/robins-eurasian-recipes/

Besides, I'm not too enthusiastic about moving all discussion of "Chinese" cooking into the "China" threads. Although I appreciate that it is useful in a sense to have Chinese cookery gathered in one place - the China threads (and ditto the other regional threads) - it still always seems to me to smack just ever so slightly of ghettoization of "ethnic cuisine". Why not discuss any and all cuisines in the relevant threads - where one describes what one had for dinner, or lunch, or whatever?

Edited by huiray (log)

Wow and NFL pairing:

Mine: SV sirloin tips ( Sauers Prime Rib Seasoning ) reheated 130.

Mashed Russet potatoes skin on.

gravy ( Minor's demi-glace )

Petit Peas ( canned Le Sueur ) deSalted Micro's w fresh herbs butter.

I hope to take a pic. but well .... the Chianti just can't stay in the bottle!

BTW what's your Zin? i used to collect them and age them in the previous century.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Back in the Day, I had Ridge and Ravenswood at < 10 bucks a bottle. My Goal.

some lasted to be 20 + years.

no longer!

most of my Wine now comes from TJ's. all seem to 'Leak' a bit

a solution no one would go for but Me:

the Big Boys and Girls of the Trade need to move to 1 L bottles of fairly good stuff:

1/ person. you start as you start to cook and Pace Yourself.

Edited by rotuts (log)

More fun with the Big Easy tonight:

Pork ribs with dry rub cooked in foil for 1.5 hours. The foil was removed, brushed with a commercial BBQ sauce, and cooked for another 30 minutes.

BigEasyRibs0844.jpg

Also made nasi lemak:

NasiLamak0846.jpg

While the ribs rest, I slapped on the naan - pretty good results. I should remember to lightly brush the finished naan with butter to prevent it from drying out.

2naan0839.jpg

Dessert was 5-nut egg yolk moon cake.

MooncakeWedges0816.jpg

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Calamansi are impossible to find here in New York so I was thrilled when Jaymes offered to send me a box free from her garden in Texas.

They arrived safely yesterday:

calamansi.jpg

Green calamansi are the unripe food, frequently used in Filipino cooking (they can ripen to orange). They are a highly unusual blend of sweet and sour flavors and can be eaten whole like kumquats. I admit to devouring 8 or 9 of this way!

Tonight I made a simple and classic pinoy dish, grilled tilapia with calamansi. I was unable to find whole tilapia unfortunately, but my local fishmonger had good quality fillets. Brushed with coconut oil, broiled close to the element for about 5 minutes a side, with fresh calamansi juice squeezed on immediately before serving. I also made a fish sauce and calamansi dipping sauce, a simple sawsawan known as patis, using Red Boat fish sauce. The patis was delicious, but the dish didn't need it - the combination of simple grilled tilapia and fresh calamansi was heavenly.

More to come.

tilapia.jpg

• Like 1

Calamansi are impossible to find here in New York so I was thrilled when Jaymes offered to send me a box free from her garden in Texas.

They arrived safely yesterday:

attachicon.gifcalamansi.jpg

Green calamansi are the unripe food, frequently used in Filipino cooking (they can ripen to orange). They are a highly unusual blend of sweet and sour flavors and can be eaten whole like kumquats. I admit to devouring 8 or 9 of this way!

Tonight I made a simple and classic pinoy dish, grilled tilapia with calamansi. I was unable to find whole tilapia unfortunately, but my local fishmonger had good quality fillets. Brushed with coconut oil, broiled close to the element for about 5 minutes a side, with fresh calamansi juice squeezed on immediately before serving. I also made a fish sauce and calamansi dipping sauce, a simple sawsawan known as patis, using Red Boat fish sauce. The patis was delicious, but the dish didn't need it - the combination of simple grilled tilapia and fresh calamansi was heavenly.

More to come.

attachicon.giftilapia.jpg

Now that's my kind of dish! Clean flavors.

You now have it - but I'm a little surprised you can't find calamansi in NYC. I vaguely remember seeing it here and there in stores in Chinatown, but that was years ago. Try some of the stores - maybe that Malaysian/Singaporean/Indonesian/Filipino store on Mulberry, called Asia Market Corp.? If "calamansi" draws blank looks from folks, try asking for "酸柑" ("sour tangerine") and show them a pic of it, maybe? (Google image set)

BTW calamansi is used throughout SE Asia, not just the Philippines.

Wow, Patrick...those photos are beautiful. So happy your box arrived intact with the calamansi still fresh. Was a little afraid you might open it only to find a box full of mush.

One really interesting (to me, anyway) thing about calamansi is that the peel is sweeter than the flesh. Does make eating them whole a tasty treat.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Man My Lips are still burning.. But that's OK

Roasted Pepper Tomato Soup!!

I'm going with a Madrigal.. Zinfandel Pairing with NFL Football RZC

attachicon.gif9704633454_edd6643901_h.jpg

Turns out..the little roasted pepper on the bottom was a Trinindad Scorpion Bhut Jolokia!!

WOW..I'm still feeling it

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels

I have never noticed calamansi in our markets. Sounds like an interesting fruit.

It definitely is an interesting fruit.

In one of my Filipino cookbooks, there is a list of substitutes for hard-to-find items. The calamansi entry:

"Fresh calamansi juice - frozen or bottled calamansi juice."

That makes it pretty clear that, in the author's view anyway, there is no substitute for calamansi juice.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Man My Lips are still burning.. But that's OK

Roasted Pepper Tomato Soup!!

I'm going with a Madrigal.. Zinfandel Pairing with NFL Football RZC

attachicon.gif9704633454_edd6643901_h.jpg

Turns out..the little roasted pepper on the bottom was a Trinindad Scorpion Bhut Jolokia!!

WOW..I'm still feeling it

There's not a lot I wouldn't give right now to have a bowl of that soup...

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

rotuts: I don't have much experience in making naan - just in eating it!
The only recipe I am using right now is flour, baking soda, baking powder, milk, oil, and yogurt. It's all mixed, kneaded, rest for 2 hours, roll out and slap it onto a hot Big Easy. I need to try the recipe using yeast.
I would appreciate any recipes or suggestions from the forum.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dinner on the grill tonight. We were out of town so I’m not going to even try praising all of the highly praise-worthy meals over the past week

Grilled salmon with basil – Salmon fillets marinated with pureed basil (regular and Thai), garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, black pepper, and olive oil

Grilled okra – Tossed with olive oil and BBQ rub (whatever I made last), and then skewered for easy handling. Younger son liked, surprisingly, and Mrs. C is a reformed okraphobe :wink:

Grilled garlic bread – Brushed with melted butter, garlic, and flat-leaf parsley

I forgot to take a picture, but we also had slices of an amazing heirloom tomato from the garden. Props to Mrs. C for the tomatoes and basil – she was the vegetable gardener this year

p2053543153-4.jpg

• Like 1

Got home late tonight to find that the electricity had gone out in the entire area. I had a couple of ideas for dinner, but it's kind of difficult to cook in the dark, so I headed out to fins the nearest restaurant with power.

Ended up eating a lovely meal.

泡脚炒田鸡 Frog with pickled peppers.

DSC00041.jpg

蚝油生菜 Stir fried lettuce with oyster sauce

Served with steamed rice and a beer. Got home to find power restored.

(Apologies for the photo quality - I'd left the Hasselblad at home and was using my phone.)

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

So i've been a bit lazy recently, enjoying your dinners vicariously but not contributing my own! I do love seeing what others have cooked in their own kitchens, for me the reason why the Dinner! thread is so inspiring.

Mostly comfort food at the moment, maximum taste for minimum effort (relatively :rolleyes: ). Chicken rice first up, with a side of Shime saba lurking

20130828c.JPG

Cha Ca La Vong, made with the tiny baby monkfish

20130906e%2520-%2520Copy%2520copy.jpg

Mole poblano pork cheek tacos

20130910a.JPG

Fig, goats cheese and shallot tart

IMAGE_41.jpeg

• Like 4