• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 4)

basquecook

I continue to be amazed and inspired by the dishes that are shared in this topic.

This was a very simple favourite budget dinner tonight. One onion, thinly sliced, one quarter of a small cabbage, shredded and a few morsels of leftover beef. A quick stir-fry and just salt, pepper and a little wok char as seasonings. I am always amazed by the alchemy-like transformation when onions and cabbage are joined!

I will use any bits of leftover protein to round it out and if none are forthcoming then an egg, poached or fried, does the job.

image.jpg

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Cookalong – Lovely chilli with cornbread muffins. Beautiful plating on the others too.

Franci – Wow! That rotisserie duck with cauliflower really get my appetite going crazy.

Sapidus – Delicious Grilled chicken escabeche with grilled zuc.

Ann_t – very tempting Yorkshire Pudding.

scubadoo97 – perfect 5 spice duck.

furzzy – fabulous rack of lamb.

Steve Irby – very nice plating, Eggplant Parmesan.

Ashen - Jacque pepin would be proud of your boneless chicken.

Mm84321 – I never get weary looking at your creations.

Keith – nice photography.

robirdstx – You have inspired me to make some wings.

Huiray – I have a lot of respect for those who cook the whole fish.

rarerollingobject – that gorgeous braised beef cheeks reminds me of how much I miss your cooking.

Kim – if you open a restaurant, I would eat there three meals a day everyday.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A few recent meals.

dcarch

Sous vide pork chop on sauteed water melon rind

watermelonporkchop2_zpsd6f855b7.jpg

watermelonporkchop_zps31e343f2.jpg

Sous vide scallops on watermelon radish

scallopswatermelonradish2_zps7a8c896b.jp

scallopswatermelonradish_zpsc0629dee.jpg

Smoked wings on hosta bollsoms

wingshostas2_zpsd389a773.jpg

wingshostas_zps9dee2227.jpg

• Like 1

Can’t let Dinner! fall onto the second page . . .

dcarch – The pork and watermelon rind is particularly attractive

Achiote-grilled tuna – Marinated with pureed cilantro, scallions, garlic, chile serrano, S&P, and achiote before charcoal-grilling.

Grilled corn with chili butter - Grilled in the husk

Store-bought bread (also with chili butter) and an un-pictured salad

p1648465880-4.jpg

image.jpg

Burmese shrimp and asparagus stir-fry.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Let me point you to the recipe:

http://www.girlcooksworld.com/2013/02/burmese-shrimp-and-asparagus-stir-fry.html

As you see it is adapted from The Burmese Kitchen by Copeland Marks.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Dan dan noodles. First attempt and the result was very disappointing. Fuschia Dunlop recipe (more or less). Not sure if it was my execution or my expectations that led to the disappointment.

My 2004 eG Blog

A couple of dishes to use up weekend carry-overs. Scallop tartare with red onion, lemon verbena, lemon grass and lime juice topped with sauteed scallop. Finished with olive oil and orange zest.

P1010960(1).JPG

Corn and crab pudding topped with additional crab.

P1010963(1).JPG

Ann_T

my Ref was to your delicious dinner.

BTW i have three cast Iron pans from my mother, that are older than I am!

Maybe I could eBay them for this:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/18/autos/pebble-beach-ferrari/

mine are worth more!

Thanks Rotuts. Nice to have cast iron that has been in the family.

Steve, what a beautiful dinner. I might have to try adding dungeness crab to my corn pudding. What a great idea.

Our son Matt, is visiting for a couple of days.

Grilled%20Dinner%20August%2019th%2C%2020

Last night's dinner cooked on the grill.

Grilled%20Halibut%20August%2019th%2C%202

Halibut for both Moe and I and a chicken breast for Matt the fish hater.

• Like 1

image.jpg

5-spice duck breast served over green beans and scallions (would have been bok choy if only the bag in my crisper had not turned out to be curry leaves).

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I am very excited!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :cool: :cool:

On another food forum with 50,000 members, they sponsored a themed cooking competition, the theme is "Pasta"

I was just informed that I won the first prize with this entry: "Smoked Lobster Carbonara"

I have not found out what is the prize I will be awarded. The label "Freedom" is a required code word to make sure that the dish has been created just for this competition.

dcarch

lobstercarbonara2_zpsa11d54f2.jpg

Lobstercarbonara_zpsf28cc113.jpg

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 3

I am very excited!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :cool: :cool:

On another food forum with 50,000 members, they sponsored a themed cooking competition, the theme is "Pasta"

I was just informed that I won the first prize with this entry: "Smoked Lobster Carbonara"

I have not found out what is the prize I will be awarded. The label "Freedom" is a required code word to make sure that the dish has been created just for this competition.

dcarch

lobstercarbonara2_zpsa11d54f2.jpg

Lobstercarbonara_zpsf28cc113.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS!

My 2004 eG Blog

Dry-fried beef slivers – Flank steak, celery, ginger, and scallions, cut into slivers and stir-fried with chile bean paste, soy sauce, Shaoxing rice wine, sesame oil, and chile oil

Fish-fragrant eggplant – Asian eggplant, deep-fried and then simmered with scallions and a sauce of chile bean paste, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch slurry, Chinkiang vinegar, and sesame oil

Jasmine rice

p1629812340-4.jpg

• Like 1